Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 17:02:04
PS

MOMENTARY LAPSE OD REASON and DIVISION BELL are masterpieces!

Are you entering Patrick Bateman mode here?  :-D

japanesebaby

well surely not their best work but 'momentary lapse...' is actually the album that introduced me to pink floyd so i'm kind of fond of it, still.

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 17:03:57
PS

:eek:

(hides)

on-topic:

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 17:03:57
PS

I don't understand.
Why do you think those are bad of mediocre albums?!
They are certainly better than Animals, Ummagumma, More and Meddle

(and I know you are not Roger Waters-guy, because Roger Waters had only praises about those records...)
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

currently: 'get down moses'

(live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7wKLzJLr_4)

(i went to the movies to see the julien temple's strummer documentary 'the future is unwritten' some time ago, i hadn't seen it yet. and excellent film! i really like temple's style.)

(although i was a bit shocked to see bono interviewed there - that guy just has to be everywhere and in everything.)

revolt

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 17:28:07

I don't understand.
Why do you think those are bad of mediocre albums?!
They are certainly better than Animals, Ummagumma, More and Meddle

(and I know you are not Roger Waters-guy, because Roger Waters had only praises about those records...)

Yes, i think they are mediocre. Too radio-friendly and lacking in real new ideas... And I do think Roger Waters was the main driving force behind the Floyd, when he left the band lost its edge (or whatever had remained of it by that time). Anyway, it's not that Waters' solo albums are masterpieces (at least not the first two), so maybe if he had continued with the band things wouldn't be much better...

Janko

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 18:21:49
Anyway, it's not that Waters' solo albums are masterpieces (at least not the first two)

:D :D :D

Hilarious!

We are so different!!!

I think PRO'S AND CON'S OF HITCHHIKING is the best Roger's solo album!

Janko

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 07, 2008, 17:58:33

currently: 'get down moses'

(live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7wKLzJLr_4)

(i went to the movies to see the julien temple's strummer documentary 

Funny how Strummer's solo records didn't come remotely close to The Clash albums...

Even Cut The Crap is better than his solo ventures...

I loved the documentary and was surprised to see Joe as a hippie, rocker, actor, lost soul and finally a complete freak...

Such a biography!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 19:17:29

Funny how Strummer's solo records didn't come remotely close to The Clash albums...

Even Cut The Crap is better than his solo ventures...

i do think his solo ventures do have a few gems here and there but they are a quality rollercoaster, i agree. they lack solidness, that's true. but even on the solo albums i think at his best moments he's still very good...

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 19:17:29
I loved the documentary and was surprised to see Joe as a hippie, rocker, actor, lost soul and finally a complete freak...

Such a biography!

true! i was surprised to learn tons of stuff (literally) i never had any idea either. :shock:
great work from temple and recommended watching for anyone even if one wasn't into the clash/strummer at all. the variety of footage is really abundant and the documentary really captures certain spirit of certain time and place.

Poe

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 19:10:28

That's the only one of his solo albums I've heard in its entirety, so far. Good one.  :smth023

CLT: Here Before

Lookaftering - Vashti Bunyan
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

revolt

Quote from: Janko on August 07, 2008, 19:10:28
Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 18:21:49
Anyway, it's not that Waters' solo albums are masterpieces (at least not the first two)

:D :D :D

Hilarious!

We are so different!!!

Well, I don't think it's hilarious. Curious, maybe. But I don't think there is any sort of general consensus that 'Pros and Cons" is a masterpiece or anything like it. And the same goes for those two Guilmour-era Floyd albums... So, I don't think I'm blaspheming here, or anything.  ;)

Anyway, I want to add a few thoughts to what I've said before.
There are a few good thinks about late Floyd and solo Waters: I like the concepts, the care they have in devising this whole story to bring together all the songs in a coherent whole. That's been a Floyd feature for a long long time now and that is a quality that I think they didn't lose.
Also, a few of the songs on those albums are good. Or at least parts of the songs. For instance, "Learning to fly" might be a commercial mainstream pop/rock song devised for radio play, but I cannot deny that the chorus has remained in my head since I heard it for the first time, and from time to time I find myself "singing" it in my mind. And I could give other examples of this kind (I would have to check them again first, though, since I haven't heard the in a long time...)

However, I also think that this latter music from Floyd and Waters lacks the power and inventiveness of their best years. They have just become mainstream stadium rock acts, with nothing new to add to the musical world. Also, I think that David Guilmour's solos stink! I mean it! That guitar tone and playing are truly annoying. He was already boring in the "Wish You Were Here" days and he surely hasn't got any better since...

One last thing: I haven't heard "Amused to Death" and I've read somewhere that it is considered by some fans as Roger Waters' best solo album. So I might be missing something here.

robiola

Quote from: robiola on August 06, 2008, 22:39:41
@Janko
This thread always gives me good ideas... You last for example -- makes me realize I haven't listened to that album in ages, and it's time I picked it up again. :smth020

A lot of Pink Floyd fans don't like this record much, but I think it's one of their best. Thanks for reminding me of it! :D

ANIMALS is a very weak album.

It was made from cca. 1972 outtakes, and it just doesn't work musically or conceptually...

The band was in a bad form and the record is rightfully forgotten!

PS

What can I say, I'll take Animals (or Ummagumma, or More, or Meddle) over Momentary Lapse anyday. MLOR does nothing for me. It never surprises me. I don't know Division Bell enough to express an opinion.
As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Lisa.Lovecat

fools dance - i'm so many
I could kill you without trying, that's accuracy :-D

mint car

X-Mal Deutschland - Viva album  :smth020
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

Sussex

Tiamat - Do You Dream Of Me...

It really make me goosebumps..

Credit to Janko..
"Thick As Shit"

Poe