Currently Watching

Started by Steve, July 14, 2007, 17:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

I'm sorry, but this is incredible footage. The weapon has a long history including
on late marque Spitfires, so I post it here. ✌🏻
Just listen...

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

A 155mm Long Tom in action near Caen. Never saw that before.

SueC

OMG, @MeltingMan, that kind of stuff causes me to descend into a deep dark basement. :1f631: I keep thinking about the people that were / are killed and maimed with equipment like this.  I can understand you getting excited about the technology though.  :cool   With the planes it's far enough removed for me to enjoy that too. It's funny where we all draw our lines about things like this!

We've just finished watching a two-part version of The Day Of The Triffids, from 2009, a bit interpreted to make it fit modern times.  It wasn't bad!

This one:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332653/

We've also seen an earlier version:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081850/?ref_=tt_sims_tti

They were both good, in different ways.  Of course, the book is excellent - we're both big John Wyndham fans, me not because I'm a particular sci-fi nut but because he writes with such acumen about human nature, and makes such fascinating "what-if" scenarios.  (The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes are particular favourites of mine, if anyone wants a good read - and they're not long books either, unlike some sci-fi tomes...  :smth023 )
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

The trailer looks good, so I'm looking forward to the movie:

Report from the set:
https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/17/color-out-of-space-richard-stanley-nicolas-cage-interview/
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Ooooh, Joely Richardson just happens to have been in the version of The Day Of The Triffids we've just finished watching! :)

We're currently watching the new series of Doc Martin.  Louisa is getting more and more grating...

By himself, Brett is currently watching The Mandolorian (Spaghetti Western in space) - because I am uncool (and reading Oliver Sacks' Hallucinations).  ;)
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on December 18, 2019, 07:02:24OMG, @MeltingMan, that kind of stuff causes me to descend into a deep dark basement. :1f631: I keep thinking about the people that were / are killed and maimed with equipment like this.  I can understand you getting excited about the technology though.  :cool   With the planes it's far enough removed for me to enjoy that too. It's funny where we all draw our lines about things like this!

I grew up at a time when the military was still quite present. Nevertheless, I have never had a war and I don't want to either. My grandfather was a fighter pilot and paratrooper and we children naturally had contact with "souvenirs" from the war. I had no fear to touch or handle them. Not even later as a student. I was in contact with "real" weapons, but I actually reject violence. What remains is the fascination for old film recordings. I only know of similar material from the Americans when they conquered Düren.

word_on_a_wing

I'm no expert when it comes to drumming, but I've always enjoyed watching Josh Freese during his time with NIN...pretty stunning, particularly the second half

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

Currently I'm re-watching "Boardwalk Empire" (first episode plays late 1919/1920, so I thought it fits).

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on January 02, 2020, 13:52:43I'm no expert when it comes to drumming

Expert or not, I agree that Josh Freese is one of the best drummers in the world! (With NIN, what he does needs an "athletic" approach!!) He certainly is the best drummer I ever shook hands with. :happy
(Thanks to my mate Robbie, who I met while in France years ago. He used to be Josh's drum technician and invited me to a gig, when they came to Germany playing for Sublime With Rome. I watched him play from the side of the stage for a while - awesome drummer!) On New Year's Eve I watched a little bit of a Sting (not a big fan) concert on telly, for one reason: the drummer was Josh!  :cool
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on January 02, 2020, 16:15:50I watched him play from the side of the stage for a while - awesome drummer!)

Wow, how lucky are you!

dsanchez

Great movie starring Keira Knightley, wort watching:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

That looks excellent, @dsanchez:heart-eyes  I will look out for it. ...I remember those marches well because I participated in one of them.  The ferries were leaning sideways on Sydney Harbour because so many people piled on to get to the CBD to make their voices heard.  And yet what do we have over 15 years later but the same old, same old... :evil:

Anyone else from here in those worldwide marches back then?

Re currently watching, we watched Episode 1 of the new season of Dr Who yesterday and I uncharacteristically fell asleep. :1f634:  I usually like this stuff, and I really like the new Doctor and team, but the plot just had me nodding off - I'm not a fan of spy stories - plus the "science" here was beyond all credulity, and there were several other holes like this that just switched my brain right off.  Tonight, we're watching the second part of this unusually dreary piece...  :-D
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah ...I just recently discovered this show, and while I can't view full episodes in Australia their twitter account is filling my world with hilarity...

The Daily Show

SueC

Just took a look, @word_on_a_wing - I like his segment on the popes!  :lol:
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

This brief and funny video is a surprising good summary of Sikhism, for anyone interested in knowing more about it.

I personally have a great respect for Sikhs, and find a lot of their beliefs align with my own.
If I could choose I'd much prefer to live like this (dedicating my life to others, meditating, chanting, singing, reading ancient teachings from illuminated beings, cultivating the warrior strength within and utilising it towards peaceful endeavours, etc) than in getting more caught up in the ego-driven dream of maya (I say as I write in a forum for a band that my ego tells me I adore? Hmm..)

SueC

I couldn't put this in the "Currently Listening" section because I actually wouldn't listen to this.  :lol:  But, I'm currently revisiting old video clips, and this is a great video clip! I laughed until I cried at all the cultural sacrilege these guys were committing.  When I was 13, I just thought it was amusing that they wore flowerpots on their heads and went around whipping things, but as you get older you also get a broader view of things...  :yum:

SueC is time travelling