Tof's FLAC list (1979 - 2000)

Started by Tof, September 22, 2006, 11:32:48

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Shawn on July 10, 2008, 15:09:02
Might I inquire as to how you obtained FLACs of shows that were recorded well before the format was ever thought of, nevermind actually created?

i'm sorry but at least i don't understand your question/doubt here. :?:

flac is a lossless "packaging" format, a bit like .zip or .rar: once you have a lossless (uncompressed .wav/.aiff) source, you can pack it up to flac, just to save some space.

"flac source" here (and elsewhere too) simply means that these shows are sourced from original lossless files, not from some mp3 sources.
pretty much everyone out there who's collecting audio shows these days uses flac.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Shawn

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 10, 2008, 15:37:15
Quote from: Shawn on July 10, 2008, 15:09:02
Might I inquire as to how you obtained FLACs of shows that were recorded well before the format was ever thought of, nevermind actually created?

i'm sorry but at least i don't understand your question/doubt here. :?:

flac is a lossless "packaging" format, a bit like .zip or .rar: once you have a lossless (uncompressed .wav/.aiff) source, you can pack it up to flac, just to save some space.

"flac source" here (and elsewhere too) simply means that these shows are sourced from original lossless files, not from some mp3 sources.
pretty much everyone out there who's collecting audio shows these days uses flac.

I know what FLAC is. I'm just wondering how good the quality of most of the sources can be for the early shows (from the beginning through '85), regardless of what format they were converted into, since I can't imagine that pro audio recording equipment was something that you could hide under your clothing back then. Are these soundboard recordings?