The Cure nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Started by dsanchez, October 13, 2018, 23:58:11

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

Quote from: Rock and Roll HoFYou've voted twenty five times for your favorite Nominees - don't stop now!

:angel  :smth023
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

tanyasmith

Ulrich

Interesting article about the Hall of Fame:
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2018/11/does-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-overvalue-commercial-success.html
QuoteThere are various elements to take into account when it comes to an artist's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame candidacy.

However, in the end, it really comes down to two things – significance (which is open to interpretation) and influence.

Considering these 2 things, of course The Cure should be in!  :smth023
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

So, here we go. Thanks to all you fans who had the discipline to vote daily (especially MeltingMan and Tanya)!
Congratulations to @TheCure on their induction. We're excited to welcome the post-punk innovators to the Hall of Fame and celebrate with fans. Find bios, special ticket access info, official merch + more here: http://bit.ly/2019Inductees-2
https://twitter.com/rockhall

QuoteThe Cure, Janet Jackson, Radiohead Among Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees For 2019

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/676080749/the-cure-janet-jackson-radiohead-among-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-for-?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=2043&t=1544714774688
As with the nominees list, each year's inductees are determined by a voting group of "over 1,000" previous winners, historians and members of the music industry. Since 2012, the Hall has also included a fan vote, which has no practical mathematical effect on the outcome; the winning top five artists of the fan vote are compiled into a single ballot. That ballot is then factored into the total tally of 1,000-plus votes from the Hall's voting membership. Those members weigh factors "such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique are taken into consideration," the Hall explains of the process.

tanyasmith

It is funny that our fan votes have little influence over the big winner, but didn't we help keep The Cure as one of the top 5 inductees by voting each day? And doesn't the info you posted mean that The Cure could possibly win if the 1,000 music industry people vote them in? I don't think it means much whether The Cure wins or not, but it will definitely boost general fan interest and possibly set the vibe for a world tour in 2020.

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on December 13, 2018, 20:11:24
It is funny that our fan votes have little influence over the big winner, but didn't we help keep The Cure as one of the top 5 inductees by voting each day?

Yes, you did, which is why I said "thank you" to all you voters!  :smth023
It's just that it's not really "visible" how much the votes did help.
Another quote from the article:
As Jon Landau, manager of Bruce Springsteen and chair of the Hall's nominating committee — which numbers about three or four dozen — told the Times seven years ago: "We've done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent."

Which was a point of my criticism right from the start...

Quote from: tanyasmith on December 13, 2018, 20:11:24
And doesn't the info you posted mean that The Cure could possibly win if the 1,000 music industry people vote them in?

No, the info posted means they are in! It is official:
https://www.rockhall.com/2019-inductees/the-cure/

Ulrich

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/cure-lol-tolhurst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-interview-768934/

The group's former drummer-keyboardist says he hopes to reunite with his old bandmates on the big night:

QuoteThey're taking in you, Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Perry Bamonte, Michael Dempsey, Simon Gallup, Boris Williams, Jason Cooper and Roger O'Donnell. Any mistakes? Did they get that right?
Yeah. I don't really understand their criteria too much. It seems a little arbitrary in some respects. It would be nice to meet everyone again. A couple of those people I haven't seen in ages. That will be good.

Do you think you'll all play together?
I don't know. I'm sure I'll hear from Robert sooner or later about that. If we do, we do. If we don't, I'll be happy to sit there and watch what's going on.

How often do you speak to Robert Smith these days?
Last time I heard from him was probably three or four weeks ago. We're in contact from time to time, and me and Simon, and Michael I talk to quite a lot, and Porl Thompson from time to time and Boris Williams. I keep in touch. I'm sort of like the glue for the whole Cure family.

tanyasmith

Oh I see. I thought there would only be one winner, but now I see that there are seven bands that will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was just looking into going, but the show is in Brooklyn, and the last time I went to an award show for The Cure (1992 MTV Video Music Awards) they didn't show up! They had been awarded for Friday I'm in Love and MTV played it up as if they'd be there to accept the award and to perform. It was one of the most devastating things of my 14 years to happen, but somehow I made it through. The Cure was on a world tour for Wish at the time, and I believe they were performing somewhere far away the night of the award show.

According to the link posted by Curefans on Twitter, Roger says it's "extremely unlikely" that former band members will be playing at the Hall of Fame show in March. Well, of course he hopes things will go that way because he would be out of a job for the time that Lol rocked the keyboards. Interestingly, both Jason and Lol are Aquarians, so I think Jason would good naturedly yield to Lol for the evening. Aquarians (I am one) are community people and tend to yield to the greater good. Roger, on the other hand is a Scorpio, so not sure he'd walk away from the keys without a sting.

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on December 14, 2018, 18:48:44
Oh I see. I thought there would only be one winner, but now I see that there are seven bands that will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was just looking into going, but the show is in Brooklyn, and the last time I went to an award show for The Cure (1992 MTV Video Music Awards) they didn't show up!

Obviously a few members will be there (Lol, Michael...), as for the rest we'll have to wait and see. It's probably Robert who'll decided which line-up(s) will perform which song.
I wouldn't bother going, from what I heard tickets for HoF are expensive. (The inductees won't have to pay, but apparently if they want to bring wives, friends, relatives... they'll have to pay for their seats!)  :1f635:

Ulrich

http://craigjparker.blogspot.com/2018/12/roger-talks-about-hof-and-more.html
In that WKYC interview, Roger says the band will go into the studio in February to work on the new album. Also says the 2019 World Tour will probably end in South America, and they are talking about playing North American shows in the Autumn.

tanyasmith

So they'll be combining the world tour with playing at festivals? Wow. I don't know why, but I hope the tour will be in 2020 instead. It almost seems rushed to push it all into 2019, and 2020 just seems like one of the best years to come ever, but if it's 2019, I'll get tickets for the shows I can. At this age time seems to go so fast, so I don't mind waiting.

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: tanyasmith on December 16, 2018, 16:00:18
2020 just seems like one of the best years to come ever,

What makes you say that Tanya? 

Here in Australia I'm feeling a tad jealous of how many European and US tours there tend to be 😪
Deep down I am happy for you all though ❤️
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on December 16, 2018, 22:35:50
Quote from: tanyasmith on December 16, 2018, 16:00:18
2020 just seems like one of the best years to come ever,

What makes you say that Tanya? 

Hopefully because it will be the last year of Trump's time in office...  ;)

word_on_a_wing

I've had a few dreams of Trump recently, which has really surprised me.  In the last one a younger version of him was running naked, I could only see the back of him and wasn't sure it was him. At that thought he turned his face towards me while showing his trademark hair ...it was indeed him, continuing to run while naked.  ...I wonder if that is a sign of things to come? Not sure why it was a younger version of him though 🤔

... umm, slightly off topic? 😬
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."