Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

One of the happiest songs I've hear. Just have to feel to dance everytime I play it. Awesome!

INXS - Don't change
"In 1988 INXS had reached the pinnacle of their success following the release of their multi-platinum album, "Kick". This is the finale from their show at the Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, CA, in March 1988. Taken from the rockumentary "INXS: In Search of Excellence." Captured from LaserDisc. "

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 13:44:06
you're kidding, right?

My musical taste can go from so far as Mozart to Spacemen 3 to The Cure to INXS. Nothing wrong with it 8)

Too bad the singer is not longer with us :(
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on November 02, 2008, 13:46:17
Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 13:44:06
you're kidding, right?

My musical taste can go from so far as Mozart to Spacemen 3 to The Cure to INXS. Nothing wrong with it 8)

that's not what i meant. of course there's nothing wrong with that. i myself do listen to everything from 7th century early mediaval church music onwards, so there we go...
i guess i'm just surprised that you'd pick INXS. i always thought they were a very good example of how a good-looking/charismatic frontman can make people forget and forgive the lack of (any exceptional) musical content. they were amazingly popular in the late 80's/early 90's still, but i seriously think they'd never get there without mr hutchence's appearances.
it's not the worst band ever but certainly very shallow one, musically, imo.

i remember seeing a mash-up of britney spears's 'baby one more time' and INXS' 'elegantly wasted' on mtv a couple of years ago. it seemed to work very well - by "well" i mean you actually didn't get the usual "hey wt...?" kind of feeling that you're supposed to get with mash-ups. it just fitted so well together (imo, just because both artists are actually just as shallow) that it could have been one song.
(too bad i don't seem to be able to find a youtube link for it).

Quote from: dsanchez on November 02, 2008, 13:46:17
Too bad the singer is not longer with us :(

of course. but then again for all i know it happened by his own hand so we can hardly blame anyone for it.

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 14:17:28
i always thought they were a very good example of how a good-looking/charismatic frontman

To be honest I didnt know how the singer or band looked like until last year when I purchased the "best of". My first contact was "suicide blonde" in 1993 in the radio, so just audio.

I liked the music, it made me happy, and that's all what counts for me. Don't know about the rest.

But certanly they're not my favourite aussie band. Those are "The Church" :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 14:17:28
i remember seeing a mash-up of britney spears's 'baby one more time' and INXS' 'elegantly wasted' on mtv a couple of years ago. it seemed to work very well - by "well" i mean you actually didn't get the usual "hey wt...?" kind of feeling that you're supposed to get with mash-ups. it just fitted so well together (imo, just because both artists are actually just as shallow) that it could have been one song.
(too bad i don't seem to be able to find a youtube link for it).

this is not the one i was looking for (this one's from 'suicide blonde') but i suppose it can demonstrate the same thing: they fit together so well because both are very shallow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtg0Et6m9ic

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 14:21:47
they fit together so well because both are very shallow.

I think they fit together well because that's a "sexy" (I dont know how to say it) INXS song, with a sexy video from Britney Spears. I dont think the reason is the "shalloweness" or not of the music.

Lilly Allen and The Cure mashup (Lullaby). To me they fit well, and I don't think anyone here is going to say Lullaby is shallow, isn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66NmjvLtss

I guess is just a question of different views 8)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on November 02, 2008, 14:28:54
Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 14:21:47
they fit together so well because both are very shallow.

I think they fit together well because that's a "sexy" (I dont know how to say it) INXS song, with a sexy video from Britney Spears. I dont think the reason is the "shalloweness" or not of the music.

Lilly Allen and The Cure mashup (Lullaby). To me they fit well, and I don't think anyone here is going to say Lullaby is shallow, isn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66NmjvLtss

I guess is just a question of different views 8)

yes but that's not what i tried to say. with that lilly allen & the cure mash-up you do get that "hey wt* is this?  :smth017 :oops: :P" kind of feeling, it's because the artists are so different, their themes so different. i'd even say that even if you didn't really know either one of the artists too well, you still get an idea of two very different "worlds" colliding.
with inxs & britney mash-up you don't get any of that: it could just as well be one and the same song (which means it's actually pretty boring mash-up. anyway). yes, both do have sexy videos but that only enhances the whole point: both are based (solely) on that (=on having sexy videos). take either one and remove that sexy video and neither one has any musical depth of its own.
therefore, it's really shallow stuff.

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2008, 14:35:53
therefore, it's really shallow stuff.

I respect your opinion baby, altought I don't agree. INXS has too many good songs. I don't think mediocre bands can make that. And I don't think their sucess was mainly because Hutchence's look.

If we want to talk about bands/artists who are driven by the look, we have plenty of examples like "The New Kids on the Block", "The Back Street Boys", etc.

But I think INXS deserves better :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tigermilk

dsanchez

is there any link where we can hear a sample of this tribute?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tigermilk

I bought it from iTunes yesterday. I'm not sure of any sample sites. You could see if it's on your iTunes to listen to a sample. I have seen it on a few blogs for download... if you want the link let me know. Or I can send you a few tracks from the album if you'd like to preview it...

Sussex

CLT

Being Boring - Pet Shop Boys

Nobody Does It Better - Radiohead   
"Thick As Shit"

alt.end

deerhunter - microcastle.

highly recommended.

dsanchez

I quit Peru and all the bands now go there. REM, Travis, The Jesus and Mary Chains, Duran Duran... all will play this month in Lima :?

And tonight is the turn of the Jesus and Mary Chains.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Happy when it rains
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo