Lol's thoughts on the 25th Anniversary of Disintegration

Started by dsanchez, May 03, 2014, 12:28:04

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

From Levinhurst's Facebook:

QuoteSo today is the 25th anniversary of the release of Disintegration a rather poignant anniversary for me.
For me It was both, beginning and end, Disintegration and recovery.

After Disintegration I kind of fell down the rabbit hole ! I didn't really have much experience of life outside of The Cure. It had been almost my whole existence thus far and truth be told It really was my family much more than my actual one .

Somehow I eventually resurfaced in California ,and found a liberation from my personal demons and learnt to live again. I feel that, in a way, Los Angeles saved my life. I will always be grateful.

So as the years passed communications and friendship returned. Eventually all the nonsense and sadness and pain I had caused myself and the others dissolved .

I feel blessed that Robert,Simon, and Roger are very much in my life today. In a way what was had to be destroyed, to be rebuilt again, stronger and better and for all of it I am very grateful.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

I'm really happy for him, difficult to beat that story.
In Roger's essay in 2011 he expressed some hope that the band's treatment of Lol during the recording of Disintegration would be forgiven.
Looks like it all worked out.
Someone's name was left out though, must have been an oversight...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on May 03, 2014, 23:18:16
In Roger's essay in 2011 ...

Which one? All I remember is his write-up about the recording of the album, which he put on his website a good while before the release of the "Disintegration" remaster (deluxe edition), which was released in 2010. Which leads me to think it was in 2009 (20th anniversary) when Roger put this online.

http://www.rogerodonnell.com/disintegration/

Interesting comment here:
QuoteThe loss of Lol?

I think it was a huge relief after he was gone however I do remember there being a certain uneasiness as to who was going to take his place as the band scapegoat or escape valve. He wasn't missed in any sense, he had become ridiculous and sad. Nobody did take up the role of official scape goat and that probably led to the tensions within the band becoming so unbearable during the Prayer Tour.

Quote from: cheyler on May 03, 2014, 23:18:16
Someone's name was left out though, must have been an oversight...

In fact there's 2 names missing. Both (Boris & Porl) are not in the band any more, which makes me think this was not an oversight, but Lol just talks fact here:
QuoteRobert,Simon, and Roger are very much in my life today

The conclusion out of this can be: Boris and Pearl are not very much in his life today.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Thank you for sharing this statement, though it's difficult reflecting twenty five years in a nearly
dozen sentences without painful omissions. Maybe an autobiography can help. All in all good for
Laurence and the remaining members or persons involved.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

Yep, I got the date wrong.  Oops.  Roger's essay, maybe especially the comments about Lol, was really revealing (double especially the photographs), one of my favorite periods in the band's history and it's great to get the behind-the-scenes details.  Just one single negative comment in all 11,000 words (that's where the 11 in 2011 came from, memory's a blender sometimes) and it was about he-who-shall-not-be-named.  I would have said 'she-who-shall-not-be-named' but that would've given the game away.  The things they did to Lol, wow.  Can't say he deserved it, or even had it coming, or even boys will be boys (they were, what, 30-35 at the time?) but I can understand how things like that can happen given the circumstances and history and drinking.  I'm glad the four of them are in each other's lives again. 

Ulrich

My favourite quote from Roger's write-up is currently this one about "Homesick"!   :lol:

QuoteOriginally a song written by Lol although if we ever said that in the studio Robert would get angry and threaten to take it off the record. The chord changes were based on Lol's demo but Simon and I re arranged the song and basically re wrote it one drunken night. The piano and bass parts were entirely improvised which made it difficult to recreate in the studio, I don't think it was ever as good as the first time we played it but it came close.

Quote from: MeltingMan on May 04, 2014, 11:36:34
Thank you for sharing this statement,though it's difficult reflecting twenty five years in a nearly
dozen sentences without painful omissions.

Well, I think Lol does not remember much about that period of his life.
Also, I guess, what he remembers is the most unhappy period, thus he prefers to look on the bright side (his life now)!  :smth023

Ulrich

This topic reminded me that Lol talked a bit about this in the book "Never Enough - the story of The Cure" by Jeff Apter. I found this quote by Lol in there:
"I remember Dave Allen saying to me on Disintegration that I'd played more on that album than the last couple, but I don't remember it."

Magnetfisch

besides, it's cool that Lol continues playing music. I bought one of Levinhurst's album (the one with the All cats are grey cover)