New guidelines for posting in the Audio section

Started by lostflower4, October 25, 2006, 20:35:05

Previous topic - Next topic

depechecure

I think its very good ideal but with flac the archives are big and then I believe that the mp3 in 192 its better.

But I agree with you  ;)

temptation-cure

oww no
//yes flacs are big but i find a mp3 too good not all shows are bad at all
some shows sounds horrible as a wav and then flac to much compression
and i think as he the moderator says that no everybody posteds on the forum
and they came only for fasters downloads as mp3 but not everybody have a flac file
for sharing here ,why doens't make a flac section apart??
thanks
it was only a tought.
Oh that boy is a slag the best u ever had , the best u ever had is just a memory and those dreams but weren't daft as they seem , not as daft as they seem..oh my love when u dreamed them up..oh flo where did u go .. oww ohh(F.A)
-----------------------------------

http://temptation-cure.galeon.com

japanesebaby

Quote from: cure4sale on October 26, 2006, 15:54:47
So, do you really think once every shows are in Flac people are gonna discuss more and more?

flac only means less shows will be uploaded and that means more time for people to actually to actually listen to what their download and stop buy to discuss it.

I agree with the fact that lossless quality files are what we're all looking for. But once again, a bad recording will remain a bad recording even if it's in Flac, Wav, Aif, or mp3. True that it will be worse in mp3. But what will you loose? Some top end (high frequencies) I suppose? Not a crime on a "bassy" recording. And what about spending 4 more time dowloading a show and taking 4 more space disk?

what will you lose? part of the sound gets thrown away, that's exactly what you lose. if you have a bassy recording you can do something about it - IF it's in wav. but once it's in mp3s there's nothing you can do to fix it. now that's a huge difference. :!: 
and besides, lossy shows are completely worthless trading wise.

Instead of saying NO MORE MP3's, we better think about a rule for encoding. eg: Top quality shows, FM shows, master or 1st generation copies, SNB shows and recent gigs : All in Flac. Poor copies of very old stuff remains in mp3.
WHat do you think?

i'd personallyhave to disagree with any generalizations like

- all audience shows are worse than all SBDs/FMs;
there are many audience recordings which one could even mistake for SBDs, and there are many examples of really badly mixed and messed up FMs

- all old shows are worse than newer stuff; even this isn't true in general
(and we should just condemn all older shows to be even destroyed further...?)

"top quality shows only?". i'm sure everyone would love it, to have flawless SBDs on every show out there, but what about the shows where no top quality recording exist? these are all worthless shows then? hmm...
and besides, who decides what's top quality and what's not? why not let everyone a chance to decide: if someone thinks this or that recording is too bad for his/her ideals then he/she doesn't have to download it, it's that easy. but there might be someone else out there looking for exactly that show, however bad it was... but instead, you'd want to close the door in front of this person?

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Darth Blood

if the objective is to encourage the dicuss on teh forum... i guess the rule could be open de download sectio to member with a determinate number of post... then the people enabled to download will be people that use to discuss in the forum... otherwise MP3 or FLAC formatswill be matter of preferences... i do preferr FLAC format... but no all the boot are available on Flac format so i download some MP3´s...  so i dont thinks its matters of the quality of the downloads, is matters of the objective of the forum...  ENCOURAGE TO ARGUE IN THE TOPICS...

just my point of view

:rocker
Darth Blood

snakepit

Paul

Just a question: What was the purpose of this discussion? Do you (= all members of this board) really think that posting in flac means more comments (quantative/ qualitative???) or reports on any gig? I doubt!! We share/ download the music of our favourite (??!!) band !!! Whithout being nostalgic: There was a time everybody was quite satisfied with downloading in mp3. I really can't understand why people 'hate' this file format, now. A Sh*t sounding show will always sound like that, no matter  flac or mp3 - Keep it in mind! Please, administrators re-think your new downloading rule - it badly reminds me on other Cure trading board in the web...

Just like the administrators' objective: Please, comments!!
Greetings, Paul

splitmilk34

Paul - I certainly understand what you're saying - and please also realize that I in no way represent any of the other admins or moderators - but the observation I made was that more and more people were just posting shows like this was a p2p network.  The fact of the matter is that an apparent majority of us feel like posting mp3's constantly are not only violating (and disrespecting) the show's original taper/source, but are also reducing the quality of shows so that in the future we'll have copies upon copies of seemingly unlistenable material... I know that is not what I want to have happen. This forum is not a hub for run-and-shoot downloads.  I also understand that there aren't always going to be topics to discuss in depth and that there are a lot of fans out there who haven't had a chance to listen to a particular show who really want to, etc etc.  However, we do (and should) have a responsibility to maintain these shows as best as possible.  I hope you understand where I, at least, am coming from.  Thanks.
"... sleeping less every night"

slit-the-cats-like-cheese

good ol' mp3s - will not miss you. ;)

Quote from: Paul on October 27, 2006, 21:56:01
Whithout being nostalgic: There was a time everybody was quite satisfied with downloading in mp3.

but i think you'r being very nostalgic.  ;)
do anyone remember that in the beginning of mp3 era, when mp3 format appeared there was a time when people thought mp3s are just exactly as good as original source files and many convert all their music and even threw away they originals and only kept the magical new mp3s. and then later they discover that they did a very stupid thing because they didn't know any better.... they lost all they good shows because they had throw it away for mp3s...  :roll:
today people know better that mp3 (or other lossy file) are like cheap imitation only, not the real thing and not of value.
what value? like trade value, to exchange new shows from others. format like mp3 are for your personal copies, like ok if you convert it to your ipod or something at home, but it's not the format you go and trade and share and distribute the shows.
hey you don't go to the shop to buy some groceries or something and then try to pay with some fake money you made yourself because nobody in the shop won't of course let you have anything! so you need real money, to get some things you would like to have. so: imitation is not the same as original.

Quote from: Paul on October 27, 2006, 21:56:01I really can't understand why people 'hate' this file format, now. A Sh*t sounding show will always sound like that, no matter  flac or mp3

and of course, true: shit don't turn to gold whatever the format but what is the point of making in even more shit?
and if you yourself would trade, you would know the problems that this conversions to all kinds of lossy always causes.
there is a real danger that some tapers stop sharing their material when people keep converting to mp3s against their wish, some tapers already have stop sharing because of this and listen this is the loss for everybody! and before some people want to say the usual 'f*ck the petty tapers wish, i don't want to have respect for them, they don't own their shows'- yes maybe not but they are the ones who go out there to tape it so even if you like it or not maybe we still must remember that if they stop sharing with us, we non-taping fans don't have anything to listen to... bad, no? i think it's bad, for everyone.

(and i think this conversation here is really pretty far from the other cure board you mention... if i get you correct.
because here people can have conversation and speak they mind.)

thanks.

Paul

@Splitmilk: I'll understand your argumentation and do totally agree! ...without starting discussion again, I don't think that posting in other file-formats will solve the origin problem, which was having/ getting more talks about shows. Then you should say: We only post (maybe) 5 shows per week and everybody has a chance to comment... or something in that way!

@slits: Thanks for reply!

Paul

lostflower4

We came to this decision for various reasons. My primary intention here was not to increase the discussion on the forum. For me, it's simply sad to see all these poor versions of shows circulating. What am I talking about? Often, mp3 stuff is inferior to other versions available. Surely there are some exceptions where the definitive version of a show is shared in high-quality mp3, but I'm also really sick to death of all the 128 bitrate (and lower!) stuff. :smth011 Some of that stuff really does sound like garbage. There's an art to mp3 encoding itself, but I think the times have progressed to the point where such a format can be left behind.

Those are just a few of the reasons. I could go on and on, but I think I've already stated some of the others in previous posts, as have other members.

As for this "rule" making us seem like another forum, I'll have to disagree. To be like that, we'd have to reduce the quality of things here, with bogus lineage, and a few fakes shows in mix. Oh, and I would have already banned anyone that openly disagreed with our decision. :smth029 :lol:

temptation-cure

Quote from: Darth Blood on October 26, 2006, 20:58:08
if the objective is to encourage the dicuss on teh forum... i guess the rule could be open de download sectio to member with a determinate number of post... then the people enabled to download will be people that use to discuss in the forum... otherwise MP3 or FLAC formatswill be matter of preferences... i do preferr FLAC format... but no all the boot are available on Flac format so i download some MP3´s...  so i dont thinks its matters of the quality of the downloads, is matters of the objective of the forum...  ENCOURAGE TO ARGUE IN THE TOPICS...

just my point of view

GOOD POINT!
I AGREE WITH YOU
Oh that boy is a slag the best u ever had , the best u ever had is just a memory and those dreams but weren't daft as they seem , not as daft as they seem..oh my love when u dreamed them up..oh flo where did u go .. oww ohh(F.A)
-----------------------------------

http://temptation-cure.galeon.com

dsanchez

have you guys notice how many shows are in the audio section?. Up to 7000 SHOWS!...That means probably 6950 MP3 shows and maybe just 50 FLAC shows. I don't think no-one will miss the mp3 thing cause there are THOUSANDS of shows already in this format. Let's move on!

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lacrima mosa

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 28, 2006, 14:32:50
We came to this decision for various reasons. My primary intention here was not to increase the discussion on the forum. For me, it's simply sad to see all these poor versions of shows circulating. What am I talking about? Often, mp3 stuff is inferior to other versions available. Surely there are some exceptions where the definitive version of a show is shared in high-quality mp3, but I'm also really sick to death of all the 128 bitrate (and lower!) stuff. :smth011 Some of that stuff really does sound like garbage. There's an art to mp3 encoding itself, but I think the times have progressed to the point where such a format can be left behind.

Those are just a few of the reasons. I could go on and on, but I think I've already stated some of the others in previous posts, as have other members.

As for this "rule" making us seem like another forum, I'll have to disagree. To be like that, we'd have to reduce the quality of things here, with bogus lineage, and a few fakes shows in mix. Oh, and I would have already banned anyone that openly disagreed with our decision. :smth029 :lol:

wow!! two weeks of not checking one topic and its increased to the top!!
now i see your point: if, and i say IF, a show exists in better quality, i can understand people to want it in the better quality... not for me, i listen to my shows on my computer, with a average soundcard and no highend speakers, so mp3 is far enough for me... but i see the guys who really burn every show and want to listen to them on their highend stereo (maybe with headphones) the quality has to be good, better than mp3 192kb.

another thing that wasnt mentioned, i think, is, that all the p2p guys from soulseek an other forums now dont have the possibility to upload, they (like me) have only mp3 shows... and i dont think that the idea behind that new rule is, to have more guys who dl than the people who upload...

i'll still be a proud member of this forum, will download shows i dont have, but i wont be able to share shows, requested by people, hope i wont be banned, when i only download...

hope this discussion wont kill this forum, as we saw on other forums over the last 2 years...
08.10.2022 Helsinki
10.10.2022 Stockholm
12.10.2022 Oslo
13.10.2022 Göteborg
14.10.2022 Kopenhagen
16.10.2022 Hamburg
17.10.2022 Leipzig
18.10.2022 Berlin
18.11.2022 Strassburg
19.11.2022 Basel

erpomata

i absolutely agree with you, dear friend.
if i want to listen to quality recordings i put on my turntable a telarc or sheffield labs vinyl...i don' understand how one could find quality on a bootleg.
anyway your hope is mine...
marco
fortunato il popolo che non ha bisogno di eroi

gioez

I think that isn't right eliminate the downloading of mp3s shows: a lot of people like to listen concerts in this format. Why oblige people in his choiches?
If you can see thousand shows in mp3 format in this forum, is because the request is high: I posted 3-4 times the same show because some curefan requested it again.
It's banal that FLAC is better than mp3, all the people know it.

Generally I dislike the lack of choice, especially in this case: we are not speaking about the difference between good and evil, it's only a preference in listening music.
So I propose 2 different section, one for concerts in FLAC format and other dedicated to shows in mp3 format.
Well, if you're self-confident in your decision, I will accept it. I hope too that I wont be banned when I will only download in future...
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]