LISTEN TO HIM PLAY
WATCH HIM BAT HIS EYELINER EYES...

EYELINER?

C'MON!

HE IS PLAYING WITH US
IN LOTS OF WAYS!

I AM HAVING FUN
RSX

http://www.thecure.com/community/Topic.asp?AssetID=1585196&ArtistID=491&Start=21&Year=
Tof

strange_day

And very right he is.  ;)

The Boris/Jason argument does my head in...... there is no contest.

Boris left the band 14 years ago, yes he was good, but he sounded like a drum machine(thats only a good thing depending on how you look at it)

Is Jason good?

Just watch Trilogy....... i say no more.  :-D

Sussex

No doubt..

Boris is somehow good in his own way...but Jason cooper is way great man! :rocker
"Thick As Shit"

[labyrinth]

well
it is actually an hard question:
they're both great drummer...
i just didn't like the sound of jason's drumming... but it seems that it is better now (from the bootlegs) ... and then, i let you know when i'll see them live!  :smth020

boneheadhaggar

have to say I always loved Boris as The Cure drummer, but Jason has continued to improve and grow more confident playing the back catalogue of Cure songs and is now quite rightly regarded as THE Cure drummer :rocker
its nice to be nice

[labyrinth]

and he is the one who lasted....more...in The Cure  :-D 'till now!

japanesebaby

haha i guess the old man reads the boards then? hahaha
anyway, i'm still convinced it's the other way round. boris made them kick ass, jason makes them sound something like genesis sometimes... and i'm ever more convinced of this after listening to the singapore recording: there's a lack of sharpness and edge in their rhythm section, they don't (can't?) play anything fast really fast anymore and so they lack contrasts of tempos - the tempos of the songs slowly drift towards the same and this makes them sound slightly sleepy and a lot more colorless than they used to be. and imho a rather sleepy drummer doesn't help them much in this.
but i guess robert prefers the things in a sleepy way now since the age has obviously gotten into him...
but aahh well, whatever then i guess. maybe the time has caught up with me too...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

nausearockpig

Jason rocked last night..

I'm no drummer but he sounded pretty damn fine.. he really rocked Shake Dog Shake....

rjl

I really don't have anything bad to say about Jason. He's certainly a good drummer, and definitely gets the job done. But better than Boris? Smoke some more crack, Robert. Boris is one of the few rock drummers whose playing I actually notice and pay attention to -- and not because they're either noticeably horrible (Peter Criss), or over-the-top (Neil Peart).

I guess I can see where Robert's coming from. He's defending someone who does a good job, and who's become a long-standing member of the band, from what I imagine to be some pretty needlessly harsh posts.

But to throw Boris under the bus like that -- I mean, he could have just said something nice about both of them instead of outright declaring that "Jason is better than Boris". All that is going to accomplish is to queue up a longer line of "Jason sucks, Boris rocks" posts.

However, it seems that Robert is pretty decent at entertaining fan complaints, even if he doesn't give them the answer that they want to hear. Take for example the KMKMKM bonus disc (of which I thought I was one of a few that were really really let-down). Or complaints about ticket prices.

What these serial complainers (I'd include myself, but I never post on the "forums" at the official site because they make my brain bleed after a minute or two) need to do is realize what an asset that is - and then start complaining more about the need for keyboards... or better yet, BETTER SETLISTS IN NORTH AMERICA.

(I remember some interview where - I believe it was Robert - said that America gets  a lot more pop and single-oriented setlists because those are the songs that people know. Or for the casual fans or something. Seriously, who cares? The tickets have already been sold, and who knows, people may like it. They may in turn go out and buy the actual full albums, instead of maybe a singles/hits comp.)

dsanchez

Quote from: rjl on August 09, 2007, 14:46:29
I really don't have anything bad to say about Jason. He's certainly a good drummer, and definitely gets the job done. But better than Boris? Smoke some more crack, Robert. Boris is one of the few rock drummers whose playing I actually notice and pay attention to -- and not because they're either noticeably horrible (Peter Criss), or over-the-top (Neil Peart).

I can't agree more. Jason definitely does a good job, but there's NO way to compare him with Boris. Just catch any "Push" version (fast and incredible drums used there) and there's so big distance between them both. Just listen the drums in any version of Push from 2007 and compare it with the job Boris did during 1986. There's so big distance, sorry to stay.

The Cure will be always the best band of planet, no matter what. And Boris will be always the best Cure drummer. Jason is wonderful, Boris is more than wonderful! :-D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: rjl on August 09, 2007, 14:46:29But better than Boris? Smoke some more crack, Robert.

No crap.

Yes, I think Jason has improved â€" but there are still so many songs he totally stinks up. I still don't think he's really knows a lot of the older songs â€" he just kind of makes them up as he goes, adding fills where they shouldn't be, and missing things that should be there. No, he doesn't have to play exactly like Boris did... But at least make it sound like you know what you're doing!

And c'mon, the dude always plays to a click track. Every song is exactly the same tempo every night (usually very slow these days). Yawn. :smth015

I don't know... Maybe you have to be a musician to understand, but Boris ROCKED! :rocker

rjl

Not only that -- Boris had taste and style. I can't imagine, say, KMKMKM* without him. Or rather, I wouldn't want to.

* = or hell, any other Boris-era album... But his drumming is such an awesome presence on that particular album, IMO.

strange_day

Yeah he plays to a click, only on some songs, but that isnt a bad thing, it takes a good drummer to be able to that, no really, it does.  ;) Also pretty much every drummer in any band that big plays to a click, they usually do it to sync up with the lighting etc.... i know NIN do this and a few other bands, so it wouldnt surprise me. Dont forget theres a few samples in there too, e.g. Push, 100 years, Faith, Kyoto song, Lovesong, Want, etc etc.... so hes got to keep in time with that.

But personally, id say hes different to Boris, not 'better'.... i think he fits the lineup better than Boris.

Janko

WHEN I SAW IT ON C.O.F. I SHOUTED "F*** YEAH!" AND GAVE MYSELF A HUG!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason