2012.05.26 Landgraaf - Megaland 'Pinkpop Festival' (The Netherlands)

Started by dsanchez, January 18, 2012, 09:21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

I never liked very much "Bananafishbones". I am surprised no-one talked about the real surprise of the night, Mint Car! The last time they played this one was back in 1996...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

erpomata

as far as i've listened, trust is the best song of the show with an amazing roger solo, banana a nice surprise, and sleep with piano is very different but maybe better than the original. i'd like to listen to high...
reeves is a great guitarist, listen to his work with bowie in 96, but is still "hidden". . sure he'll grow up in the next shows.
but i'm absolutely happy roger came back, maybe he has been underrated in the past but he's a great piano player.
i think the cure must have a 5 lineup.
i go to barcellona now, hope a surprise for simon birthday  :-D
fortunato il popolo che non ha bisogno di eroi

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on May 27, 2012, 22:33:54
I never liked very much "Bananafishbones". I am surprise no-one talked about the real surprise of the night, Mint Car! The last time they played this one was back in 1996...

Yeah, I agree! Nice to see Mint Car back in the set! I loved this song back in '96. I made a trip to London to catch a Cure show (Earls Court June 1st) and I remember seeing posters advertising the "Mint Car" single all over London (but it wasn't released yet, so I could only buy it later, when I returned home).

WMS gets a lot of bad press these days, but I myself loved it at the time, still think there's quite a few good songs on it. (Ok, the production was a bit weak at some points.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

japanesebaby

Quote from: Ulrich on May 30, 2012, 12:14:11
WMS gets a lot of bad press these days, but I myself loved it at the time,

me too. it did get and still does get lots of bad press but i've thought it's quite genuinely "cure-ish" album, just because it's so odd and weird. at least for me the cure has also represented certain kind of weirdness, unexpectedness, "outoftheway"-ishness...
i remember i really did like mixed up for the same reason, back when it came out.

gabrels sounds good, glad to see him in the band. fits well. 
i admit i was a bit sceptic when they announced these summer shows but turns out it would have been nice to see some of them. oh well.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Trust...

Quote from: dsanchez on May 27, 2012, 22:33:54
I never liked very much "Bananafishbones". I am surprised no-one talked about the real surprise of the night, Mint Car! The last time they played this one was back in 1996...
I was really surprised to hear Mint Car and I really enjoyed it, even more then bananafishbones.
The biggest surprise to me was to hear Trust, I wasn't suspecting this song anymore, I was so much hoping to hear it someday ... It was absolutely beautiful.
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

dsanchez

Quote from: Trust... on May 31, 2012, 22:24:50
The biggest surprise to me was to hear Trust, I wasn't suspecting this song anymore

Well, 2012 is the 20th Anniversary of "Wish", so actually it's not a surprise they played "Trust". I hope they will play "Cut" as well ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on May 31, 2012, 23:15:33
Well, 2012 is the 20th Anniversary of "Wish", so actually it's not a surprise they played "Trust".

Good idea, I'd like to hear it again. Hope the "remastered" Wish cd will be out soon.

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 30, 2012, 20:07:23
gabrels sounds good, glad to see him in the band. fits well. 
i admit i was a bit sceptic when they announced these summer shows but turns out it would have been nice to see some of them.

Yeah, I gotta say I'd like too, but it looks like I can't catch any of them.  :(
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Trust...

Here is my story, couldn't find earlier the time ...

What a day !!!
It wasn't planned for me to go to Pinkpop, I thought I travelled enough last year for The Cure @ Bestival and Reflections @ Royal Albert Hall ... So with the news that The Cure comes to Belgium it was very clear for me ... Werchter was enough, ... That 's what I thought ...
But when I was thinking that The Cure was going to play only 170 km away from home, I started to regret myself that I didn't bought a ticket for the very first kick-off gig for the summertour. It was 26/05 3pm, I asked the organisation by mail, if it was still possible to buy a ticket overthere and they confirmed YES.
So no doubts anymore I needed to go, I was at a family party with fancy dress and shoes on, not the right clothes for a concert ... changed my clothes into my jeans, boots and Cure shirt, ready to go.
Departure at 6 pm, arrival in Landgraaf at 8 pm it took me 30 minutes to find a place for my car, 5 minutes before The Cure started, ... ticket control ... the magical intro sound from Plainsong, .... still need to pass the security ... I was begging that man, please let me go, they allready started, he smiled ...
Then I was running over stairs, I was passing a lot off people ... to ended up in the middle off the crowd at the first security stops? Looking to the video's it 's amazing that I had that position :)

The gig, now I'm sure The Cure is perfect only with a 5 line-up :rocker
I was surprised by seeing the, on that moment, unknown guitar player ...

I guess for me personally The Reflections @ RAH were just perfect and I don't suspect more to come, sure not on a festival but The Cure is always great, even with the greatest hits. The highlights for me, Trust, Mint Car,bananafishbones and The Hungry Ghost

The sound was strong and powerful, they were on a perfect mood !
Looking forward to see them again in Werchter, the place where I saw The Cure the very first time!
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x