Book or Bibliography of The Cure?

Started by Sussex, August 13, 2007, 10:19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Sussex

Im going to buy a book that contain the story or bibliography of the great great band, The Cure?

But i dont know which one is the best? :smth017

Can anyone of you give me some suggestion..

Cheers!  :rocker
"Thick As Shit"

iwannashagsimon

Ten Imaginary Years is the best cos it was written with the band's help.  Sadly, it's 20 years old now(!) so it's only good to learn their early history.

The Cure: A Visual Documentary is also good.  It's written sort of in a diary format so it's easy to look up dates.  Only problem is the "updated" version only goes up to 1992.

The Cure On Record is a must own.  It has info on every single Cure item.

Others include: Never Enough, After The Rain and InBetween Days: An Armchair Guide To The Cure.    I'm not sure about the accuracy of some of the info in these books.  Altho, the Armchair Guide has a pretty good up-to-date discography.

Hope this helps. :)

Sussex

Thanks..
By the way..which among those books that you have on your hand or your best choice?
"Thick As Shit"

iwannashagsimon

I own all those books, but I think Ten Imaginary Years is best.  Even tho it is quite old, there are some good quotes from the band members.  Lots of "I was there and this is what REALLY happened" type stories.

Sussex

Damn cool...

I really envy you on this one..You know what, it so difficult to find those books in my country..maybe there is no demand for those staff at all, as you know my country consist with only a few numbers of The Cure die hard fans..

but i will try to make an order for those books..I think i would go for Ten Imaginary Years first.. :rocker
"Thick As Shit"

Carnage Visor

I just bought AFTER THE RAIN and it is written by a "fan" and includes quotes from Robert that make him seem like an arrogant jerk...

silversand

I've bought the book After the rain and i have to say it's a very good book. And for me Robert seems not be arrogant or something like that. Better than most of the bibliographies you get, because they're many clichés in it.
I think one of the best, maybe the best is Ten Imaginary Years.

A funny book is, it is a German book is called "Im Labyrinth des Robert Smith". It's a book
full of quotes from Interviews. The language is German and English.
I think it's hard to get, because it won't be printed anymore.

rjl

Never Enough is a great read. There's a lot of info about the early days, and interviews with past members, producers, engineers, friends, family (I think), etc, etc. However, there are no direct quotes/input from the big man himself. However, I read somewhere that he approached the author, Jeff Apter, offering to help out, once the book was done and going to press!

Hopefully there will be a "20 More Imaginary Years"... Or better yet, "10 More..." and "Another 10...".

A coffee-table book (you know, large-format, big lovely photos) would be awesome.

I'd, of course, have to buy a coffee table, first (I love my new apartment, but it has very weird, crooked floors! Hard to put a table on...).

Sussex

Quote from: rjl on August 15, 2007, 02:49:45

Hopefully there will be a "20 More Imaginary Years"... Or better yet, "10 More..." and "Another 10...".

A coffee-table book (you know, large-format, big lovely photos) would be awesome.

Hope so... :smth023
"Thick As Shit"

Carnage Visor

AFTER THE RAIN is pretty much a coffee table book, it's large, harcover, flashy images, a format that is easy to navigate, and it looks good on a table.

Robert's quotes are priceless. I believe he said something about Madonna looking like she would smell!

Sussex

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 22, 2007, 18:14:33

Robert's quotes are priceless. I believe he said something about Madonna looking like she would smell!

Refer to the below Quotes... :smth078
"Thick As Shit"

Carnage Visor

Oh yeah, I guess I wrote that before seeing your quotes...I mentioned them in another thread.

Sussex

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 23, 2007, 17:38:27
Oh yeah, I guess I wrote that before seeing your quotes...I mentioned them in another thread.

Roger that..! :rocker
"Thick As Shit"