Annett Louisan covers Friday I'm In Love

Started by Ulrich, November 13, 2020, 12:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

From her album of cover versions named "Kitsch", this German pop singer also does "Friday..."!
(Seeing it's Friday, it's a good day to post it.)

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Well, that's an improvement on Miley Cyrus attempting the same song, although I think that's a low bar to clear - meow.  Not that what I think is important here (.../anywhere...), since I'm not particularly drawn to the original song either, but OMG the original is so much better than many of the covers I've heard of it...

I think one good thing about this cover is that it's clearly not taking itself too seriously - nor is it mocking, other than gentle self-mocking via the album title.  She's got a pleasant voice and comes across sunny, and this will hit the spot for some people and situations.  You can see how this sort of stuff is played and listened to even in order just to create some good vibes in this often miserable hole of the human condition, and good on her for that.
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Nice to hear from her again. I was wondering if she was still performing as an artist. I know the place where she grew up - went there a lot as a teenager, especially when Wish came out. 👍🏻
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on November 14, 2020, 10:20:21I know the place where she grew up - went there a lot as a teenager

Cool, I guess Annett L. would've been a little girl back then (if she was born already?)...

Quote from: SueC on November 14, 2020, 04:15:18Well, that's an improvement on Miley Cyrus attempting the same song

Erm, she did BDC I think?  :?
This cover of FIIL is ok somehow, but nothing which knocks me out of my socks, if you know what I mean.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on November 14, 2020, 11:15:25Cool, I guess Annett L. would've been a little girl back then (if she was born already?)...

Yeah right. I only found out about her when she was already known and was surprised. According to Wikipedia, she must have left the place between 1989/90. I don't know whether the fall of the Berlin Wall played a role. She may have left legally with her mother or later during the so-called 'Wendezeit'.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on November 14, 2020, 11:15:25Erm, she did BDC I think?  :?

Yeah, you're right!  :)  I only listened once and maybe my memory loss is due to traumatic amnesia.  :1f635:  Sort of like when I was forced to endure Achy Breaky Heart at my brother's wedding.   :1f629:

QuoteThis cover of FIIL is ok somehow, but nothing which knocks me out of my socks, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I do...  It's a bit easier to be well-disposed if you, for example, imagine your niece did this song, and not a stranger... (but that doesn't work for me with Miley Cyrus :1f635:)
SueC is time travelling