Documentary To Celebrate The Cure's 30th

Started by monghi, July 19, 2007, 21:45:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillinger

im glad to see he wants tim pope involved

mralphabet

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 20, 2007, 04:13:13
Quote from: strange_day on July 20, 2007, 02:54:39
As perfect as Disintegration is, we have to face that the 80's were never very kind when it came to production. I think Robert means the snare drum wont be the loudest thing on the whole

I disagree... Albums from the '80s in general, sound superior to the crap that's produced today. I can't be the only one to notice that the sound quality of The Cure's albums went down the tube after Wish.

Loud drums are the coolest! :rocker

Definitely, and in general the quality of The Cure's music has been lower since WMS onwards.

Descent

So the dvd documentary replaces the book about the band Robert Smith was supposed to write. I guess there'll never be a follow-up to "10 imaginary years".

Bloodflower

Quote from: mralphabet on August 18, 2007, 14:27:27
Definitely, and in general the quality of The Cure's music has been lower since WMS onwards.

Prove it.

To be on-topic, however, I'm glad to hear about this DVD, though I hope it doesn't replace the book Robert's been writing (though it definitely seems to), because I think there's a lot you can put in a book that you can't as easily commit to film. Either way, I'm looking forward to this.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

[labyrinth]

i disagree....
Bloodflowers? is there in Bloodflowers a lack of quality? don't think so.

mralphabet

Quote from: [labyrinth] on August 19, 2007, 12:28:32

i disagree....
Bloodflowers? is there in Bloodflowers a lack of quality? don't think so.

Quote from: Bloodflower on August 19, 2007, 09:46:12

Prove it.

Obviously mine is just a personal opinion and I don't expect everybody to agree. I think Bloodflowers is a good album, but not that good. I really like The Last Day of Summer and the title track is also musically very good (I don't like the lyrics too much though), but in general I was disappointed by that album, as well as by WMS (although Want, Trap and Bare + It used to be me are great songs) and by The Cure (here the exceptions are Labyrinth, Before Three, TG&B and Going Nowhere).

Again, just personal opinions. However, it might be not a chance that they haven't been playing much material from Bloodflowers and WMS in their concerts lately (I'm not talking only about the current line-up). It seems to me that the strong parts of their concerts are based on material from their previous albums.

Bloodflower

Robert mentioned in that MTV2 interview from last year - on Subterranean, I think - that he felt Bloodflowers was the song that was most representative of The Cure. I don't know why they don't play as much of their last three albums, but Robert doesn't seem to think it's a lack of quality.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.