2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

Your talent for breaking things down and critiquing them point by point is unsurpassed.  But you should use your powers for 'good' rather than in aid of 'the dark side'.

Ulrich

Yeah, whatever, but are you going to reply to some of the questions asked, like:
which line(s) in the song confirms your strange theory?  :?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

As soon as I read all the lyrics.  Please wait right there while I go do that.  What, precisely, will make you develop an unhealthy obsession with someone ELSE??

dmscheuer

Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2015, 23:00:49
As soon as I read all the lyrics.  Please wait right there while I go do that.  What, precisely, will make you develop an unhealthy obsession with someone ELSE??

(probably when someone post's something anti-Jason. just my 2 cents lol)

cheyler

Quote from: dmscheuer on June 07, 2015, 01:28:40
Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2015, 23:00:49

(probably when someone post's something anti-Jason. just my 2 cents lol)

I like that. 
But...
what if I'm the one that does it??
Probably the same thing that happens (theoretically, obviously) when someone goes back in time and the 'earlier' person sees the 'back in time' version of himself.  Some as yet undiscovered metaphysical occurrence.
Best not to risk it.
Anyway, I like Jason just fine.

This is probably getting close to being either shut down or moved for being off-topic. 

Since the quote that started it all was made quite some time ago, it doesn't seem to be relevant anymore.  RS has stated that everyone in the band is getting along quite well, which hasn't happened in quite a while.  There didn't appear to be any problems in the previous line-up with Porl either.  Problems within the band never seem to manifest themselves on stage, except for once or twice in 1982.  And the current line-up seems so...happy.  Maybe they need to (re-)develop a mild case of seriousness so various songs can find their way back into the set lists.  That's a bit selfish, really.  I wouldn't begrudge any one of them a single second of feeling good about what they're doing.

Ulrich

Again: IF you need to take lyrics literally, it should be easy to point out the literal bit talking about the band line-up? If that seems to be so difficult, what does it say about your obscure theory?

(probably when someone post's something anti-Jason.

Indeed, people who only post about one singular topic, are under special "troll-watch".
(Remember, like when you posted about Porl, cheyler?)

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on June 07, 2015, 10:34:13
Again: IF you need to take lyrics literally, it should be easy to point out the literal bit talking about the band line-up? If that seems to be so difficult, what does it say about your obscure theory?

(probably when someone post's something anti-Jason.

Indeed, people who only post about one singular topic, are under special "troll-watch".
(Remember, like when you posted about Porl, cheyler?)

I do remember.  And you know what?  It was none of my concern (still isn't and never will be) and if I were considering the same subject today (this very minute) I wouldn't have anything to say about it. Private guy, private life, his concerns, not mine.  I wouldn't have anything to say about anyone else that might have a public opinion on it, however.  If an individual is in the 'public eye', the same individual is subject to the 'public mouth'.  (That's pretty cool, actually...)  It's up to other individuals to decide what their consciences permit them to write...and whether those consciences might have a change of heart within the next six months (or six minutes).  Mine did.  This is the second and last time I'm going to tell you you were right, Ulrich...  :)

Ulrich

OK, but what about those lyrics you wanted to take literally, can you quote them?

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on June 09, 2015, 08:47:29
OK, but what about those lyrics you wanted to take literally, can you quote them?

I can't quote them, I don't remember them either verbatim or in pieces.  I can't even quote YOU without a little help from that button over there.

I'll probably just keep thinking what I am thinking.  I can understand being challenged if I were to suddenly get it in my head that opening the exit door on an airliner at 35,000 feet was a GOOD IDEA, but about a misunderstanding (or alternative understanding) of lyrics that are open to interpretation unless and until the author decides to explain them comprehensively?  That smacks of a need to be RIGHT...and that game always ends in a draw.  I know none of this is going to stick or sink in, but every now and then I really do enjoy banging my head against a wall, especially when that wall is made up of human beings with fixed ideas.

I'm not avoiding the question, although I know you think I am.  I must have read the lyrics from the sheet inside the Japanese pressing of the LP.  Not only were the Japanese pressing plants compelled to include a lyric sheet inside each vinyl LP, they were also compelled to get the lyrics wrong (and make them humorous).  Check out their interpretation of 'Love Song' by The Damned.  Yikes.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Ulrich

Message to anyone reading this: feel free to post your theories! But be prepared for 2 things:
1) not everyone will agree.
2) someone might question your theory, especially if not well thought out nor underlined by quotes of lyrics (or anything to do with reality).

Quote from: cheyler on June 09, 2015, 18:45:47
I'm not avoiding the question, although I know you think I am.

This is the second and last time I'm going to tell you you were right!  :)

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2015, 19:36:57But you should use your powers for 'good' rather than in aid of 'the dark side'.

Does that mean anyone who dares to question your theory is on the "dark side"?  :?

cheyler

Quote from: skintwinkie on May 24, 2015, 22:06:05
I have not checked in for a long time and it saddens me that I have to! I think as much as we enjoyed the reissue series with all the fantastic unreleased material (which still isn't finished yet I would be happy if Wish had been re-issued by now, because i am sure it has the most amazing unreleased gems out of all the others) it slowed Robert down creatively. I have a feeling he went back and really listened to 3immaginary boys through Wish and thought man we really lost the plot after Porl and Boris left. I was excited about the official press release for 4:14 Scream and the deluxe version called 4;26 Scream, where he promised the original 4:13 would be mastered properly and then we finally get the rest of the sessions which was apparently the dark album. What a bunch of bullshit that was, I was not sad, I was pissed it never happened. Rumors are flying that Reeves Gabrels is still working on re-doing Porl's guitar parts. I love Reeves, but I want to hear Porl. Let's not forget the lies about Orange and Show DVD's and the aborted Reflections DVD which would have been amazing. I think Robert is not used to releasing stuff without full label support, but where did full label support get them on Wild Mood Swings, Bloodflowers, The Cure and 4:13? Do it yourself Robert and quit dicking us around. I know you don't owe us shit, but quit with the lies, none of us are getting any younger man, especially you. Too bad you didn't wait to do these reissues after the Cure had come full circle. I love you still man and I am happy with what we got, but the teasing man, even after putting out press releases about 4:26 Scream (what the hell were you thinking) and announcing Mixed Up 2 released this side of Christmas in 2012? With mixes by Mogwai and Cranes, I was dying to hear those. I can only hope you are about to deliver something that will shut us all up as Cooper-Gabrels-Gallup-O'Donnel-Smith. I am happy to wait as long as it is the best thing since Wish...Also (Yawn, but) get Boris back behind the kit, I understand Porl is a lost cause, or is she?

'Wish' probably does have the most hidden/hiding 'gems', the 'Lost Wishes' cassette (which is excellent and just gets better from listen to listen), the Kilburn gig from May 1992 (which may be the most well-recorded Cure concert of all of them and exists in its entirety on film...would make a great companion DVD for the 'Wish' set).

I don't think The Cure lost the plot after Porl and Boris left, they were just (obviously) different.  Bits of 'Wild Mood Swings' were excellent, 'Bloodflowers' was damn near perfect and the self-titled 2004 album scared me a bit the last time I listened as I thought I'd more or less bypassed a classic Cure album.  It is WAY better than I thought it was; give it another try.  '4:13 Dream' has a LOT of great Cure songs...'Underneath The Stars' is one of my top ten ever, 'The Only One' is a great TUNE but the lyrics make me want to do unspeakable things to...well, I haven't figured that part out yet.  Love songs THAT personal can always be KEPT personal, in my opinion.  'The Hungry Ghost', 'It's Over', both perfect, classic Cure songs.  I don't have the list in front of me so am missing out on a couple I'm sure.  Would love to get the so-called 'dark album' from these sessions.  I don't believe Reeves would touch Porl's guitar tracks and I don't believe RS would even ask; this will end up being a pure and whole project should we ever see/hear it.

To suggest RS is 'dicking us around' or even 'lying' about various projects is to do him quite a disservice.  We've always gotten good value for money and whatever we've been waiting for has always turned up and is usually better than we'd hoped.  With no label support, the money comes directly from the old wallet (or bank account) and who precisely in the pop world can we presume to ask to do us favors when it costs him/her money?

'Mixed Up 2' I can do without.  Can do without 'Mixed Up' (The First) actually.

Jason's not going anywhere, he's been The Cure drummer for 20 years now, Boris was around for (less than) 10 years? 

Pearl will probably not be back in any permanent capacity, but I'll bet he'll be invited back as a guest at any number of shows on a 'final' tour or run.  I think the whole 'Pearl' transformation (poor choice of words possibly) has been misunderstood.  Rather than some sort of gender-identity, I think it's more another way for Porl/Pearl to express himself.  If he so chooses, he can 'paint' himself so-to-speak, use himself as a canvas in a more extreme way than he ever did with tattooing.  There's a series of photos taken recently at (I believe) a gallery that shows Pearl looking nearly as he did in 1992.  So now he's got all sorts of options to present his music, his art and even himself.  Quite ingenious and extremely courageous; I congratulate him.

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on June 12, 2015, 11:20:18
Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2015, 19:36:57But you should use your powers for 'good' rather than in aid of 'the dark side'.

Does that mean anyone who dares to question your theory is on the "dark side"?  :?

Of course.  Or was that a rhetorical question?

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on July 08, 2015, 19:48:41
Of course. 

Oh, that smacks of a need to be "right".  :oops:

If you need any help in finding those lyrics, Google is your friend!  ;)
Or try
http://www.thecure.com/words/
http://www.azlyrics.com/c/cure.html

And yeah, of course "alt.end" meant RS wanted that line-up to be "the last", that's why he sacked Roger and Perry a year later and played that song with the new line-up in 2005...  :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X95KrjUK60

cheyler

You know how far ahead RS plans things...  He's writing songs at least one year ahead of the album release date, long before any line-up changes would have been contemplated.