2008.10.11 Roma - Piazza S. Giovanni 'Coca Cola MTV Live' (Italy)

Started by erpomata, September 29, 2008, 10:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Lady on October 18, 2008, 11:41:02
Quote from: japanesebaby on October 18, 2008, 02:00:45

some posts here make me curious about the new songs... but i won't give up to temptation. ;)

:-D
Hey jb, "The hungry ghost", "the reasons why" and "the real snow white" are amazing, you should listen to them!!!! :lol: ;)

i certainly will - on october 28th.  :-D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

nausearockpig

japanesebaby, I'm with you.. it was "bad" enough hearing the new songs live then the Mix13 versions before hearing the album in full.

The reason I say this is that because listening to an album for the first time should be, in my opinion, done in one unbroken session.

Hearing the songs as singles first will dilute the overall "deflowering" of my first 4:13 Dream experience...

Bring on the album release... I might just take the day off work... if Shaun lets me.....LOL

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on October 18, 2008, 12:11:17
The reason I say this is that because listening to an album for the first time should be, in my opinion, done in one unbroken session.

Hearing the songs as singles first will dilute the overall "deflowering" of my first 4:13 Dream experience...

yes, that's exactly how i feel.
we're told  that this "let's reveal everything bit by bit, single by single" is something new, something especially thrilling for the fans, but imo it's only a corporate marketing gimmick in disguise.

in all i think it's a sign of our times, the general lack of so-called "spannungsbogen" (="the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing") in everything.

(of course i'm not saying everyone should feel the same way, i do understand if some people generally do like receiving stuff in small portions which in the end form a whole. nothing wrong in that, it just doesn't work for me. i'm a spannungsbogen kind of person. :))

nausearockpig

I guess it depends on what it is you're expecting.. If it's something that means a lot to you and you want it now!!! then for me, it's important to have it all in one full go than in dribs and drabs, but if it's something less interesting, then bits and pieces are ok..

tigermilk

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 18, 2008, 11:43:04

some posts here make me curious about the new songs... but i won't give up to temptation. ;)

Hey jb, "The hungry ghost", "the reasons why" and "the real snow white" are amazing, you should listen to them!!!! :lol: ;)

Haha, hell yes! Stay strong JB and nausearockpig. I'm also waiting until I've listened to the album :) And after a few spins of the polished studio disc I will then listen to the live set
:smth023

mahood

Quote from: tigermilk on October 19, 2008, 14:16:52

Haha, hell yes! Stay strong JB and nausearockpig. I'm also waiting until I've listened to the album :) And after a few spins of the polished studio disc I will then listen to the live set

stay really strong then.
i understand your point perfectly, and i would have tried to follow your path too (not sure i could have resisted, though), if the 4 ugliest productions in 30 years of the cure (i was one click away to say the ugliest ones in 30 years of music, but then i remembered there is also the so-called remix EP), i.e. the singles, had not been released prior to the album.
when this concert was announced, i thought it was the best news for the cure this year, because at least we may have something to listen to, and just hearing the hungry ghost studio version some minutes ago... well, no further comments.

i know nothing, maybe you will enjoy the studio version, but just in case, i would suggest you to have a ready-to-listen version of this concert very close to you, just to hear some depth, dynamics, everything.
the thing is, i don't know if i would have liked sleep when i'm dead the way i do if i first discovered the studio version ; same could be said about wendy time (T+C2 version vs wish version), but here, since we already know 6 studio tracks out of 13, it seems clear that everything has been wendytimed x1000 (i.e. definitely butchered).
& maybe i'm wrong, & maybe i should give several tries, or wait for the finished LP (not bad mp3s) to be released, but right now i am just pissed off.

the rome concert may not be the best, robert's voice seems to suffer from time to time, but i already know it will be the only version of the album i will happen to listen ; and again, i'm more than glad they did this.
and yes, the scream, aka forever version 5 (three>forever>all mine>lost prior to that), the reasons why, this.here and now. with you and some parts of the real snow white are great. but this will all be discussed at the end of the month  ;)
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

japanesebaby

Quote from: mahood on October 20, 2008, 01:16:46
Quote from: tigermilk on October 19, 2008, 14:16:52

stay really strong then.
i understand your point perfectly, and i would have tried to follow your path too (not sure i could have resisted, though), if the 4 ugliest productions in 30 years of the cure (i was one click away to say the ugliest ones in 30 years of music, but then i remembered there is also the so-called remix EP), i.e. the singles, had not been released prior to the album.
when this concert was announced, i thought it was the best news for the cure this year, because at least we may have something to listen to, and just hearing the hungry ghost studio version some minutes ago... well, no further comments.

you know i'm not disagreeing with you there at all. the main reason i'm doing it (why i've decided to wait) is because i'm actually expecting myself to enjoy the live version a lot more AFTER i've heard the studio version first. it's exactly because i don't expect the studio version sound very good, just like the singles. it's sad to say but the truth is that production of the cure singles have always been similar to that of the album in question. so, if and when the studio album sucks quality-wise (even if it might have some good songs on it), i know i'll be very happy to the live version at hand and then i will really appreciate this broadcast much more than i'd do otherwise. so i'm just sort of building up a  opportunity to myself, to really enjoy that live version as much as possible.

and of course i agree with you that the decision to play the whole album live was really the best news for a long time, a really good thing.

ps. i can't bother checking out that 'the hungry ghost' clip because i know i'd just be pissed off, like you.
funny because imo these teasers should be like appetizers: something that make your appetite grow because they taste so very delicious. but for some reason they have become something that eat away your appetite because somebody just threw in way too much salt and then forgot them in the oven for additional two hours so that everything's burned.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 20, 2008, 09:07:45
somebody just threw in way too much salt and then forgot them in the oven for additional two hours so that everything's burned.

Congratulations! You have just made the perfect description of "Wild Mood Swings".  :-D

orangeskies

I published an ironic post about the gig of the Cure in Rome, last Saturday
http://orangeskies.wordpress.com
check it out!

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

japanesebaby

QuoteAnd this forces me, even if I've been a fierce Cure fan, to explain the second rule of the perfect rockstar: if your arse becomes bigger than a ship, then you better withdraw.

yeah, somebody should have told people like bb king to get off the stage a looong ago.
fat people just can't play music - a fact!

also a fact:

Lady

Talking about the Cure, maybe they were even worse: after a long while standing in the middle of the kindergarten crowd of coca-cola's Mtv festival, with all the people around full with caffeine drink, that they gave for free everywhere (maybe they were looking for addiction), finally there they were Robert Smith and the Cure. Now, about the old Robert and his beer drift I don't have nothing to add to the things that my friend Sun Of York wrote here in the past, but I have to say that the concert was deadly boring.

Personally, I almost fell asleep all time, and all the people whom I asked about it later told me the same (everyone in Rome was there, virtually). The songs were diffusive and also a bit of a metal stuff, really little of the old ones have been performed, from Close to Me to A forest, and we've seen tons of useless aged rockstar's poses. Maybe I discovered the truth about all this business. Maybe Smith didn't get fat because of too many beers, as our post wrote. Maybe he broadened because of too many cokes. And this hypothesis is surely worse than the other.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is he a dope??

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

cure89

For myself The Cure lost more and more of their "special kind" and in a way they seem to be in a dead-end street. The new songs are to much "wanna sound like something we did effectively in the past" but there's not one divine spark. But it's a question of taste, finally.

nausearockpig

i remember thinking that when I first heard 2004's self titled album, that the songs sounded unfinished or like the tracks were demo-sounding.. I hope this album's not the same..