Your Top Movies & Recommendations

Started by dsanchez, July 11, 2007, 00:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

psichonaut

LadyHawck is the only i know (in Italy the titles are always different from the original versions)...but i liked it
Thanks my Lord....i'm unbeliever

ROGUE

Is Lady Hawk the movie with Michelle Pfiffer, and she is a hawk during the day (human at nite) and inlove with a wolf (who is man during the day)and wolf at night.

And they only get a glimpse of each other a dusk time, both as human, beautiful movie.  :smth049 but always have to leave each other due to animal changes (nite and day)

scatcat

Quote from: ROGUE on October 17, 2007, 09:55:08
Is Lady Hawk the movie with Michelle Pfiffer, and she is a hawk during the day (human at nite) and inlove with a wolf (who is man during the day)and wolf at night.

And they only get a glimpse of each other a dusk time, both as human, beautiful movie.  :smth049 but always have to leave each other due to animal changes (nite and day)

hey yes! I remember that movie, it used to be a favourite, I just forgot all about it. I t is really quality movie.! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

Mine change too much really but right now i think...

1. Memoires of a Geisha
2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Secret Window
4. Walk the Line
5. Monty Python movies :-D
6. Aladdin/Alice in wonderland - I can't choose which there both fab!
7. Labyrinth

Meddy

1.)Interview with the Vampire
2.)American History X
3.)Stigmata
4.)Natural Born Killers
5.)300
6.)LadyHawk
7.)Immortal Beloved
"I want to live deeply, and suck the marrow from life." HDT

melly

In no particular order;
                       Donny Darko; just intruiged me
                       Wolf Creek; scared the poop out of me
                       Braveheart; gotta love the "mooning"
                       Sixth Sense; very, very clever
                       The Ring; more hair standing on end stuff
                       Lord Of The Rings (all of them); magical..I want that horse!
                       Brokeback Mountain; sad.. forbidden love
Of course there are many more, but there's 7 that came to mind...
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

CureCrusader

Quote from: melly on November 14, 2007, 10:02:16
  Braveheart; gotta love the "mooning"

Yeah, funny!  :-D :-D

Quote from: melly on November 14, 2007, 10:02:16
 Lord Of The Rings (all of them); magical..I want that horse!

Which horse? Do you mean Gandalf's horse? (he is called Shadowfax)
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

melly

YES!!!  Shadowfax, that's it..I had forgotton his name... used to have a horse...bloody knocked kneed baldy faced wild eyed type -laughing- Ahh..to have Shadowfax...Thanks!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Carnage Visor

What do you think it is that brings us to Labyrinth? What about it attracts us fans? Is there one similarity in ourselves that draws us to this fantastic film?

Or simply a coincidence...

I think it has something more to it than that...

Sorry if I'm blabbering on or anything... ;)

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Carnage Visor on November 14, 2007, 22:05:49
What do you think it is that brings us to Labyrinth? What about it attracts us fans? Is there one similarity in ourselves that draws us to this fantastic film?

Or simply a coincidence...

I think it has something more to it than that...

Sorry if I'm blabbering on or anything... ;)

A-ha! (and by the way I was a HUGE fan of A-ha when I was a wee little thing!) Here is my two pence/cents worth on this Labyrinth 'thing'.

I reckon people love this film so much as it has great characters in it, great songs sung by Mr Bowie (and what Bowie fan isn't a fan of this film!!) and a really good story to tell with really creative sets.

It is one of the first films, I believe, that Children and Adults could watch together and enjoy (however my 'youth' may prove me wrong on this, as I'm sure there are other films that fit this bill... that were before my time at least!)

I really have to mention the brillant Hoggle! What a creation that guy is!! Jim Henson (his son Brian, did Hoggle's voice and some of the animatronics on Hoggle - watch the special features on the DVD!!!) did a FAB job with this film. And Brian Froud for his creative drawings that lead to the creatures being what they are in the film! I'm only sorry that the Jim Henson Company no longer 'seems' to be doing anything. I think the last thing the company did was the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie. And they did a good job of that! (That film is in regular use in my household at present to!).

For me, when I first saw this film, (I was in my early teens I think... LOL it was a while ago!) I fell in love with the whole idea of David Bowie (whom looks so SEXY in this film! His hair do and make-up are to die for I reckon!!) being the Goblin King and him falling in love with me - not Sarah! And pathetically I still swoon when he sings the song "I can't live within you"... towards the end! I find it really does something to me internally! Hmm, thats sounds rather odd me thinks!

So I think I have said enough on this now! I'm feeling slightly exposed! Oh, and before I forget, Dark Crystal! For me, I watch one, then the other... I'm so sad on these two films! I can virtually say the films word for word... I watch them so bloody much!

As far as LadyHawke goes... another film that has romance that is so desperate!! I have to admit here that on occasion I have had tears in my eyes when the scene comes up where Isabeau (the Hawk, and played by Michelle Pfeiffer) and Navarre (the Wolf, played by Rutger Hauer) are in the pit and get to see a glimpse of each other before changing. Rutger plays this part so well! Hmm, I'm in a daydream now! I would also like to send people to Blade Runner for another brilliant performance by Mr Hauer!

Look there are so many GREAT films out there... and I'm glad I have somewhere like here to show my appreciation for them! I'm also glad that most of you seem to like the same films as me! Its so COOL (for want of a better word) to be able to come on here and type about them! I don't have anyone close to me that has the same taste as me - in anything! I'm very isolated... so to be able to share my passion of The Cure, and these films we are discussing in here (and other things too)... Is really really NICE!

Oh and you thought you were blabbering on Carnage!!!! ;) :-D
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

Another 'group' of films I wanted to discuss: Harry Potter.

Whom here has them? watches them? and reads the books?. My fella is MAD about these books/films, and I reckon he could go on the Einstein Factor (Australian TV Show) and win with his knowledge of the books/films! He's nearly 40 I might add!!!

I'm not such a big fan (more by default due to my fella more than anything). I want to have a **** about the films, if I may! Please feel free to add anything!

If you watch them... what do find most irritating about them? I find that with the latest one (Order Of The Pheonix) they changed things... there is no continuity between any of the films! My main example is the Dementors! The original 'look' in Prisoner Of Azkaban (No. 3) was brilliant! I'd never seen anything like it, and I thought the way they did it was really fresh and original. But then to my absolute horror, someone decided that the original look was no longer any good (I suspect budgetary issues here to be frank!) for this next film, and they used some horrid CGI 'thing'... I have not as yet been able to watch the special features of the 5th film as my copy is a ripped one, so I'm not sure if there is any reasoning given.

I'm really pissed off with the way these films have been made. It is sub-standard to be honest! The amount of money they've made from them - you'd think they'd put a bit more time and effort in to them. I really blame time for it however. The kids are all growing up, so they have a time frame to get the films made in... which puts pressure on the film makers to get things done quickly. And the films suffer as a result.

I have loads of other issues with all of the films... but before I continue, does anyone else feel the same as me over these films! Or am I just being a tad to picky? (being picky is what I do best!)

Carnage Visor

I agree with all of that, and Labyrinth remains one of my most favorite films...and Jennifer Connelly is a total babe in it as well, reguardless of the fact that she's a bit...out there... (Awe, who am I kidding, I find that sexy too...)  ;)

Harry Potter is a thrill ride for me, and whereas I do not read the books, the movies really take me on a journey I wish I could actually be on...and I always had a crush on Hermoine... :oops: lol

As for Ladyhawke, I prefer Princess Bride when it comes to fantasy romance films...that movie is quite a goody!

I know what you mean about Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, I love them both too!  :smth023

~*CherryRed*~

Ah :lol: Carnage... you have a Hermoine crush hey! I have to be frank here and say I think she is a fairly bad actress. But then thats my opinion! And who cares what I think right!!

Yeah I agree with you on Jennifer - When I saw her doing photo shoots for that film she was in with... ?  :lol: I've forgotten which film now! Anyway, She looked FAR to thin, and I was quite shocked by it. But I agree with you in that she is a tad strange these days. But I like strange, as long as it's not a wanky strange or strange for the sake of being so!

LMFAO I have Princess Bride too! I like Mr Cary Elwes in it - hmm, he's soooo good lookin'(thats a slight reference to a Seinfeld moment!). Yep that is def. another GOOD film! LOL, cliffs of insanity! hehehehe

Also compliments to you on your Kate Bush image signature thingymebob! Have you got her latest LP at all? I don't and haven't had the chance or funds to get it. I was wondering what it's like... Whats your fav. K. Bush song? Mine is Hammer Horror! - sorry I no this is off topic! :oops:

japanesebaby

i seriously have to edit my list...

i don't really watch any TV and i'm terminally behind in keeping up with what's going on in movies too. i find movies like i find music/new bands: i never follow the news, i never pay attention up things when hey are "hot" and new and "a thing of today".
i always find everything very late, years after they've been made...

anyway, lately i've become totally captivated by animated movies by Hayao Miyazaki. i know it's old news but it was all new to me,  and i've found these movies to be among the best films i've honestly come across for years.
they all put the hollywood animations (whether computer animated or not) so completely into shame - the storylines and storytelling, the characters, the imagery, the atmosphere - everything really! the storytelling is somehow so unforced and natural, compared to all those sold-out/marketed-to-death kind of products by disney or pixar or all the others. :roll:
i've always loved good animations but i've grown so tired of the main stream of animated feature films that i almost gave up completely a few years ago. but here i found true magic of imagination again: the feeling like if you were not wtaching someone else's vision but reading a very good book and imagining it all yourself, in your own mind's eye (that's always a good sign in movies!).

Totoro is simply amazing!  :shock:

and the "cat buss" in Totoro - you should have seen me as i was literally shouting "whoooaaa!" when i saw it and every time it appeared on the screen, that was somehow the most amazing creature/invention i had seen for the longest time.

but one really needs to see it in action, a still drawing won't do it any real justice...

Howl's Moving Castle was the first one i watched, and it's really one of my favorite movies now too.
a fantastic story about a young girl who gets transformed into the body of a 80-year old woman: she looks like an old hag but but she's still a young girl in everything she thinks, she does, she feels - the contradiction is really wonderfully portraited in the movie.

:rocker
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Carnage Visor

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on November 15, 2007, 00:09:56
Also compliments to you on your Kate Bush image signature thingymebob! Have you got her latest LP at all? I don't and haven't had the chance or funds to get it. I was wondering what it's like... Whats your fav. K. Bush song? Mine is Hammer Horror! - sorry I no this is off topic! :oops:[/color]

I'd have to say something between "Wuthering Heights", "The Wedding List", and "Sat In Your Lap"...But then again there are others I listen to more...

Thanks for the compliment! And yes, Jennifer looked a tad bit thin and haggardly last time I saw a photo, but then on Vanity Fair she looks great...the magic of photoshop!  ;)  :P