Robert Smith says Porl asked to rejoin the band

Started by Janko, July 12, 2007, 16:39:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodflower

In utter contrast with Steve, I think Wild Mood Swings is a great album!

I mean, come on:

Want (Fantastic opener)
The 13th (A totally out-there single!)
Mint Car ("I'm so happy I could burst!")
Gone! (Love this -- very jazzy, very odd!)
Jupiter Crash (Excellent song; "She follows me down to the sound of the sea....")
Round & Round & Round (It's grown on me!)
Numb (Who's never felt this way?)
Treasure (Love Robert, love Rosetti - wonderful)
Bare (My favourite of the session and one of my favourite Curesongs all-time. The soundtrack to a particularly difficult time in my life.)

And that's not even MENTIONING the b-sides, which are some of their best. I think WMS suffers from poor tracklisting -- Trap and Return made the cut, but Adonais, It Used To Be Me, Ocean, Home, and A Pink Dream didn't. You throw some b-sides on WMS and take out a couple of tracks and you've got an album close to Wish.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Steve

Now you might have something there BF.
But Wish was never the best either. But then how do you really follow Disintegration huh?
You're fully right about the tracklisting. In fact the whole lp comes accross as a "clear out sale" type of affair.
A bit more time & thought could have made it a whole lot better.
Now before this thread becomes totally
I'll leave it at that.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

lostflower4

Quote from: Steve on July 15, 2007, 18:37:20But Wish was never the best either. But then how do you really follow Disintegration huh?

I honestly don't get the extreme hype about Disintegration...

Just wanted to say that. :lol:

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 15, 2007, 01:14:02
Quote from: farquad92 on July 15, 2007, 00:20:36
i must be the only guy on here who would like to see mint car replace some of the other pop songs in the set lists

Hey, I wouldn't complain if they replaced any of the "let's play this at every single show" pop songs with Mint Car. Well, I wouldn't complain if they completely retired those songs altogether. ;)

I'd really like to see Doing The Unstuck replace some of those old pop standards.  Porl really shines on this one.  The problem was that he was seldom in the mix and you really couldn't ever hear what the hell he was doing.  While it was very cool to hear The Big Hand from Miami I would've preferred Unstuck.  Want would be cool to get on the playlist every so often.  Same with Jupiter Crash, though that wouldn't really be anything special.  About the only other WMS track I'd like to hear live again is Numb.  That song wasn't played nearly enough.  Just a few weeks and all of the guessing will be put aside.  The tour is almost here.         

Bloodflower

I want to hear Bare live. There were a few shows during the Swing Tour where he changed his voice for the lines:

There are different ways to live (said in a really menacing voice)
Yeah I know that stuff (said in a quieter, softer voice)
Other ways to give (menacing)
Yeah, all that stuff.... (soft)

And I really loved that. It actually made me think about what The Cure would sound like with duets on a few songs -- a lot of them are dialogical enough; Bloodflowers, Bare....

And there's a great, powerful restart with the last movement of the song, much better than on WMS itself....

Anyway, I'd really love to hear it live....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

rodney

Considering that we know at least one part of this interview was lifted from a 2006 article, I'd question believing most of it.

FarFar

Quote from: Janko on July 15, 2007, 14:09:07
"WILD MOOD SWINGS" IS A GREAT ALBUM

WANT
GONE!
TREASURE

VERY DIVERSE
VERY UPLIFTING
VERY FRESH-SOUNDING
I LOVE IT!
I ALWAYS SAW "BLOODFLOWERS" AS A RETREAT TO SAFER AREA...

yeah...the wild mood swings is the great album...treasure is good song sad song and the music really make me cry   :smth001 one day this song i will dedicate to my family...
Life full of colorful, beautiful and mystery...just need to wait...it will come and chase you...

Carnage Visor

Here's one thing I didn't know:

Robert got freaky with Mary at age 15 at a costume party...kinky! (Lucky bastard)

Steve

Quote from: FarFar on September 07, 2007, 11:10:14
Quote from: Janko on July 15, 2007, 14:09:07
"WILD MOOD SWINGS" IS A GREAT ALBUM

yeah...the wild mood swings is the great album...treasure is good song sad song and the music really make me cry   :smth001 one day this song i will dedicate to my family...

Well, that's one thing I didn't know.
I always thought WMS was a load of cobblers tbh. :roll:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php