2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko

QuoteI would be actually quite horrified if we were sitting in this room in ten years' time.

There's no way The Cure can have a good enough new album ever again. But still, 10 more years of doing the best of or greatest hits tours is quite possible and profitable. Quite disappointing but Morrissey is calling quits too, so ...

:smth023 :smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Cure

the way he ended the NME BIG GIG, after 'it's over song'

'i can't do this anymore..'

he said so somehow..
like he reely meant it

BUT

i reely don't believe he'll quit
when all ur life has gone this way, with gigs, tourin, albums, etc.
u can't just leave it all behing & become a new man, stayin home & goin 4 walks with ur dog :)

it's way 2 difficult in the age of 50 2 begin a completely new life
maybe he'll try quittin, but i believe that in the end
The Cure will keep on existin
& Robert will keep on singin, solo or not

THERE'S NOTHING LEFT BUT FAITH
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

closedown1970

There wasn't any show in Texas's Stadium according to curec-concerts.de!!
What shows did he mean??

dsanchez

I think Bob means the Giants Stadium gig (which is not in Texas)

http://cure-concerts.de/concerts/1989-08-20.php

A part of video (Plainsong, to be precise) can be viewed in the "Picture show" official video, right before Fascination Street.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Descent

The problem is that video in New Jersey (Plainsong clip) was simply filmed with a camcorder (view from the mixing desk far away to see how it all looked like). I don't think that video would be good enough to be released on DVD.

What I'm hoping is that RS actually refered to the Dallas 89 show. Not a stadium but a large arena (he must confuse with the Irving Stadium show 3 years later). The arena included big screens on the sides. So the show was filmed.

http://www.impressionofsounds.com/live150989.htm

Now, that would be something if they recorded the video signal and found it in the archives.

dsanchez

Quote from: Descent on March 05, 2009, 15:31:00
What I'm hoping is that RS actually refered to the Dallas 89 show.

Thanks. That makes more sense since Dallas belongs to Texas. Fingers crossed!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: Descent on March 05, 2009, 15:31:00The problem is that video in New Jersey (Plainsong clip) was simply filmed with a camcorder (view from the mixing desk far away to see how it all looked like). I don't think that video would be good enough to be released on DVD.

What I'm hoping is that RS actually refered to the Dallas 89 show. Not a stadium but a large arena (he must confuse with the Irving Stadium show 3 years later). The arena included big screens on the sides. So the show was filmed.

http://www.impressionofsounds.com/live150989.htm

Now, that would be something if they recorded the video signal and found it in the archives.

Of course, there's the age-old debate of whether Robert actually meant Giants Stadium when he once mentioned footage from that show:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5141.msg54944.html#msg54944

;)

I personally believe that Robert was confused, but at any rate he also went on to say that this type of single-cam footage would never be interesting enough to make an official release.

While I can see his point, I know there are tons of die hard fans who would love to see it. Heck, just the audio itself would be worth it!

Anyway, I agree that in this recent interview he was referring to footage from Dallas (again, being slightly confused) — or possibly some other show where there was a more professional type of filming going on.

My only complaint would be that most of the setlists from the U.S. shows were a bit dull compared to the European ones earlier that year, but I don't think one can be too picky in this case.  8)

dsanchez

Quote from: Cure on March 02, 2009, 15:13:42

he said so somehow..
like he reely meant it

Actually 'i can't do this anymore..' is part of "It's Over" :P

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5689.msg57435.html#msg57435
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: dsanchez on March 10, 2009, 19:41:50

he said so somehow..
like he reely meant it

well but him saying that as part of the lyrics only stresses the meaning, at least thats what i think....
anyway i hope that even if the don't make another album, they are still going to tour for years and i get the chance to see them live  :shock:
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

dsanchez

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on March 18, 2009, 15:30:13
and i get the chance to see them live  :shock:

You live in Germany, The Cure always goes to Germany. Trust me. You will see them 8)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on March 18, 2009, 15:30:13

he said so somehow..
like he reely meant it

well but him saying that as part of the lyrics only stresses the meaning, at least thats what i think....
anyway i hope that even if the don't make another album, they are still going to tour for years and i get the chance to see them live  :shock:

I'd say with 'It's Over' that Robert is just sticking with a formula.  Take songs like Sinking, 39, Bloodflowers, Disintegration, among other.  All have to do with getting old and/giving up and are the last or next to last track of the album they appear on.  Even the last track of Wish, End, is suggestive if only by title.  Let's remeber It's Over was originally called 'Baby Rag Dog Book'.  Now, that's not very dramatic, now is it?  It's Over gets people talking, maybe thinking this is the last time I'll get to see The Cure, so I better to go!  ;) 

alwaysprayingforRAIN

they do tend to be very dramatic, that's true
I'd go see them anyway :D
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

Cure

he said so somehow..
like he reely meant it

well i know, but it was somehow the way he said so..
haha
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

KingOfSomeIsland

The Cure will always exist in some form or another, maybe not as a huge stadium band touring around the world or maybe as just Robert with a piano and a guitar but he's never gonna totally quit music. Eventually they wont be on tv anymore and wont be live anymore but a few albums will still trickle out.

Dillinger

If it got to the point of him just releasing albums with one or two instruments, I think The Cure would cease to exist and we'd be saying hello to the home recordings of Mr. Robert Smith, formerly of The Cure.