2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectBlueSkyDolls

Quote from: nadia-domingos on December 28, 2008, 03:30:47
it is kinda sad :'( but at the same time it's true what he says.. but the'll never end, not for me. they'll always be alive in my heart and in my life, till i die :)

Exactly  :smth023
Can't see them going any longer than 2-3 years really. Everyone deserves a retirement, including Robert  ;)

ofthedeepgreensea

yeah.

i actually do think the new album will come out at some point.  though it'll probably be kind of a while.  and then probably a tour and then that's probably it.  i can see one off gigs for the next few years after that maybe, but not much more.
"it's just the way i smile," you said..

skellington

I understand that everyone needs their retirement, but he is only 50 and my dad is 61 and is still working, not to say that Robert should work till he is 60+ but I think it would be hard for anybody to totally stop what they love doing and settle into quiet obscurity. It is hard for me to see the Cure stop because I just got into them and I feel to not experience their musical magic in person would be so sad :( But I would not be angry at them if they stopped, it has to end sometime...
I really do hope they release another album..there last was good and I am looking forward to their next :smth020
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

PerfectBlueSkyDolls

Some people need to retire earlier than 60 though. And from what I can tell, Robert is almost finally ready to lay more low key and enjoy his later years. It might not mean he will give up entirely (he has always been interested in doing solo work) but I would never be angry if that was his descision. Besides, he can do what Trent Reznor has been doing (giving up touring, which is heart breaking for me, as NIN is my fav band) & work on material on his own time, while relaxing and enjoying his older age with his wife ;)

hellboy69

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 16, 2010, 09:02:37
Quote from: lostflower4 on January 15, 2010, 11:46:33
Quote from: RottingApples on January 15, 2010, 10:41:02a separate "Itunes Exclusive" record.

:roll:

Why is iTunes so damn popular?  What a mess of a program/service.  :twisted:

well, my first thought when i read that "iTunes Exclusive" was that ""great", more stuff available in crappy mp3s only, possibly even with some errors (like happened with the 4 re-recorded tracks distributed by iTunes UK in 2006  :roll:).
whatever it is, i'm not going to pay a cent for it. why not release stuff properly? i'm not against downloads only kind of releases at ll, but why not make it available in lossless too and especially not exclusively via iTunes?

i reckon the "itunes exclusive" could be a live album, something like that. prefer shiny discs in nice packaging myself, but i totally agree with what you say about lossless formats!

closedown

Quote from: hellboy69 on May 07, 2010, 17:23:28
i reckon the "itunes exclusive" could be a live album, something like that. prefer shiny discs in nice packaging myself, but i totally agree with what you say about lossless formats!

could also mean one of those 'Itunes Originals' releases, some backcatalogue stuff, some commentaries and a little session with 5 or 6 tracks. quite a few other artists have done a similar thing before (Goldfrapp, New Order, Moby, R.E.M.,...) - these days it is unfortunately all itunes dictated + if you don't offer them sth special (those itunes exclusives or a bonustrack/remix with a new album)), make sure they almost don't even bother to list your stuff or they don't highlight it, which means, most people who don't follow those forums, won't even notice a new release is out...
Instead of considering this, they should have rather corrected those 4 rerecorded tracks...

Well, it has been quite some time again since those plans were first mentioned though...

pipperoo

Quote from: Virpi on December 25, 2008, 23:06:03
one reason more to do a suicide

No suicides! He says that all of the time! He just has to rest up a bit. No reason they can't do smaller venues. Cripes if we can look at Rod Stewart's tired old face, Roberts', Simon's, Jason's, and Porl's (specially now that Porl is all arted up) is refreshing. 50 is not old! Especially since I'm 46!!  :eek:

Janko

Considering the age of the band members, the band doesn't have a very long future...
20 years tops!

:D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

pipperoo

Eh he's been saying that since he's 25..the stinker..... Maybe he and Bowie will do Vegas!   :-D

Cloudberry

I was gonna say - we see Robert's lips moving, but surely at this point all of us just roll our eyes & say "whatever", as he obviously doesn't mean it. We've got plenty of 60+ rockstars out there, and I just can't see Robert not making music & not touring. He is an attention ****, y'know, though I'm sure he'd rather not admit that!

Cloudberry

Good heavens, my post's been censored! Sorry people. It began with "w", and ended with "e" and I really didn't mean it that unkindly. Robert amuses me in many ways, and his denial of his rock star-ness is just one of facet of him that makes me giggle.

dsanchez

Quote from: Cloudberry on September 17, 2010, 00:35:34
Good heavens, my post's been censored! Sorry people.

No need to say sorry! We have a list of censored words and the system apply this rule automatically, without taken in consideration the context. Overall, I personally agree with most of what you have said here :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

Quote from: DJscribbles on December 29, 2008, 21:34:45and what is he going to do for the rest of his life?
Good point.A proper farewell concert/tour seems to me somewhat catastrophic,
but these and earlier statements allow the conclusion,that 'Disintegration' for example
is no longer only a word,strictly speaking,but a strong central theme of the past 25 years.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

Quote from: Fabien G on January 27, 2009, 13:54:15
But time flies guys, so if you have never seen them live before and/or are playing at a venue near you, I guess you'd be well advised to catch them while you can!
I couldn't agree with you more. :)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Fabien G

These were other times (2009) and i had a different opinion (no more world tour stopping at a city near you at the horizon then).

But since Robert said he enjoys the festivals ("we come, we play, we f*** off") and has plenty of reissue to work on, and even a new album i'm sure, i have no worries. Reeves last itw (on COF) is pretty clear: "I don't think they have to worry. It's alive and well".

i will worry in 2019 (or even 2018, as he may want to stop prior turning 60).