What's On Your Mind Atm??

Started by PearlThompsonsBloodflower, January 03, 2018, 22:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 12, 2018, 10:51:19
Yes Ulrich, the same idea of 'listed' buildings over here. To preserve them. But, like most things in life it comes down whether the Local Authority has the money to preserve them. So lots of buildings that have lost their use, they let they go to the point of being a danger so they then have the right to knock them down which is sad really. I live near an old hospital and they are doing it to that. It has a beautiful old clock tower and who ever owned it prior to it beoming an NHS building, had gifted it to the NHS, so what they'll do according to the original disposition, who knows, but they are letting it crumble and die. It has an old railway tunnel too, that used to ship wounded soldiers to be treated.

You worry as you get older that the next generation will miss out on all these points of historical interest. I keep hoping they turn the old buildings into houses.

The hospital where I had once begun my professional career was closed in autumn 2017.
It was built in 1868 for a growing population and it's located in Genthin (NE of Magdeburg).
The loss of more than a million Euro per year led to the closure. But my impression is the inhabitants
do rather complain about the job cuts and not about the building itself. It's made of the typical red-brown
bricks. Memories came up when I was there for a job interview on the other side of the street. If they don't
reuse the rooms in any form, this building will be definitely in danger - not now understandably, but after
a while the clinic operator will focus a demolition. I have seen it here in town. Nobody cares until the
digger arrives...then it's often too late.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

chemicaloverload

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 12, 2018, 15:44:16
Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 12, 2018, 10:51:19
Yes Ulrich, the same idea of 'listed' buildings over here. To preserve them. But, like most things in life it comes down whether the Local Authority has the money to preserve them. So lots of buildings that have lost their use, they let they go to the point of being a danger so they then have the right to knock them down which is sad really. I live near an old hospital and they are doing it to that. It has a beautiful old clock tower and who ever owned it prior to it beoming an NHS building, had gifted it to the NHS, so what they'll do according to the original disposition, who knows, but they are letting it crumble and die. It has an old railway tunnel too, that used to ship wounded soldiers to be treated.

You worry as you get older that the next generation will miss out on all these points of historical interest. I keep hoping they turn the old buildings into houses.

The hospital where I had once begun my professional career was closed in autumn 2017.
It was built in 1868 for a growing population and it's located in Genthin (NE of Magdeburg).
The loss of more than a million Euro per year led to the closure. But my impression is the inhabitants
do rather complain about the job cuts and not about the building itself. It's made of the typical red-brown
bricks. Memories came up when I was there for a job interview on the other side of the street. If they don't
reuse the rooms in any form, this building will be definitely in danger - not now understandably, but after
a while the clinic operator will focus a demolition. I have seen it here in town. Nobody cares until the

Same story, different place. Shame. Sounds like the same hospital building too, red/brown brick.

MeltingMan

A different story: the flight of Apollo 7 - just fifty years ago. I have watched the launch at yt
a dozen times or more. It's interesting to note that Schirra commanded for that mission the original back-up
crew of Apollo 1. None of them returned to space - ever. The Saturn IB is probably the most beautiful
rocket ever built.

:smth023

chemicaloverload

I had to reinstall Skype! What a palava! I wonder if anyone still uses Skype...

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 12, 2018, 15:44:16
Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 12, 2018, 16:51:32
Yes Ulrich, the same idea of 'listed' buildings over here. To preserve them. But, like most things in life it comes down whether the Local Authority has the money to preserve them. ...

If they don't reuse the rooms in any form, this building will be definitely in danger - not now understandably, but after a while the clinic operator will focus a demolition. I have seen it here in town. Nobody cares until the

Yeah, I do agree here. Many old buildings can be "saved" when a "new use" can be found for them, e.g. here in Germany some old monasteries have started offering their buildings for "congresses, trainings" etc. and they do quite well.

Remember the link I shared a few months ago about the building the Cure used many years ago in their "Charlotte Sometimes" video? It's been turned into flats for people to live in. Very good.

Of course, if a building is protected by law ("Denkmalschutz" in German) they will have to preserve it. (If it gets knocked down, they will be in trouble with the law.)

I enjoy looking at old buildings (and taking photos of them), thus I often take a walk through old town centres. I like it when I get too see an old castle or church or tower being re-used for new purposes (museum or even a governmental instution).
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on October 15, 2018, 11:06:47
Remember the link I shared a few months ago about the building the Cure used many years ago in their "Charlotte Sometimes" video? It's been turned into flats for people to live in. Very good.

The topic reminded me of that video too (last Saturday) when I searched the German Wiki
under "Historismus" for architects. This is perhaps work for a whole weekend. Good to know
that this particular building has survived. But I could not find the link. Where is it possibly?

MeltingMan

Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 14, 2018, 21:16:36
I wonder if anyone still uses Skype...

Nope. (FaceTime is installed, but I'm not familiar with it.)

MeltingMan

@Ulrich

OK. I've got it. I must admit that I haven't followed "Places of interest..." because
I can't afford any trip now or even next year. Thanks for the remark, however.

:smth023

Ulrich

My pleasure, good that you found it.  :smth023

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 15, 2018, 19:21:27
I must admit that I haven't followed "Places of interest..." because I can't afford any trip now ....

Neither do I, but I still enjoy doing some "research" about such places!  :cool

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 10, 2018, 12:08:32
... I mean there's actually no need for any panic ...

Oh yes, there is!!!!  :1f62e:

Severe climate events could cause shortages in the global beer supply, according to new research
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181015113555.htm

MeltingMan

Oh-oh. Time to fill up the fridge for Christmas.  :yum:

MeltingMan

...but actually I do like room temperature for my beer.  :oops:

chemicaloverload

Quote from: Ulrich on October 16, 2018, 14:37:42
Quote from: MeltingMan on October 10, 2018, 12:08:32
... I mean there's actually no need for any panic ...

Oh yes, there is!!!!  :1f62e:

Severe climate events could cause shortages in the global beer supply, according to new research
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181015113555.htm

Ok, this is the sort of panic I'm not ready for!!!  :persevere:

But as MM said, Christmas is coming, time to swap out the beer for Baileys.

When life throws you lemons, Baileys  :lol: