What's On Your Mind Atm??

Started by PearlThompsonsBloodflower, January 03, 2018, 22:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

What d'you want in the UK, dsanchez, The Cure aren't playing there (yet)?   ;)

@MM: I haven't had the heating on in my business/office since late March I think... until yesterday!

Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 02, 2018, 16:48:11
...don't be surprised if you end up on the naughty list  :P

That'd be an honour, wouldn't it?   :kissing_smiling_eyes:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on October 02, 2018, 17:56:20

But Slowdive are ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

chemicaloverload

Quote from: dsanchez on October 02, 2018, 16:50:03
need to book my UK trip asap

If slowdive are there, then you won't be too far away  :lol:

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on October 02, 2018, 20:57:39
Quote from: Ulrich on October 02, 2018, 17:56:20

But Slowdive are ;)

Ah well, I thought so!  :cool

Still gutted I couldn't make it to see them in Munich.  :1f62a:

dsanchez

My (now confirmed) UK trip in two weeks... looking forward to be there and to meet some fellow curefans.com members ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Quote from: dsanchez on October 04, 2018, 13:00:51
My (now confirmed) UK trip in two weeks... looking forward to be there and to meet some fellow curefans.com members ;)

As are we  :lol:

MeltingMan

The Hambacher forest. The high administrative court of Muenster has
stopped the clearing of that area - temporarily.

:smth023
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

chemicaloverload

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 05, 2018, 12:55:51
The Hambacher forest. The high administrative court of Muenster has
stopped the clearing of that area - temporarily.

:smth023

Why were they clearing it in the first place? I ask because I'm reading a judicial reivew on something similar, only it was a park in Edinburgh which had remained a green space for over a 100 years and they wanted to build a school on it. They built the school. Completely ignoring the original disposition prohibiting it.

MeltingMan

Well, the forest is located on the edge of a large brown coal mine and it should disappear,
if you ask the energy industry. Several environmental protection agencies had taken
legal action against it with the support of local communities and other people from
different regions too, luckily. The second and decisive trial is attached to the administrative
court of Cologne, and won't be decided before 2020, so far so good I suppose.  ;)

chemicaloverload

It's a win for environmental law and for the surrounding communities, preserving the forrest. Coal mines, they are a massive part of our landscape here too, all of which are defunct. The environment is big on the agenda at the minute, I can feel the panic setting in.

MeltingMan

The same panic has once been spread with CFC and the ozone hole. I mean there's actually
no need for any panic, but the lifestyle of the mainstream is indeed a problem. That forest
is only the top of an iceberg. Some people built small houses in the branches and lived there
for years(!) - widely ignored by the media. Until now.

Your story of the school reminds me of another building but vice versa. It was used in its last
decades as medical center (for British troops) and then as a kindergarten - the Farne Villa in
Bad Oeynhausen. You can watch it on old postcards - for my taste the most prominent house
in town - but after a long period of dilapidation they finally demolished it in 1968. The worst
case ever, but nobody wanted to preserve a building that represented the pre wartime. The good
thing is: the public opinion is changing - slowly. 

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 10, 2018, 12:08:32
...for my taste the most prominent house in town - but after a long period of dilapidation they finally demolished it in 1968. The worst case ever, but nobody wanted to preserve a building that represented the pre wartime. The good thing is: the public opinion is changing - slowly. 

It happened a lot after the war, that old houses were demolished and the materials used for building new ones (or repairing damaged ones).
Nowadays a lot has changed, since the 1970s "protection of (historical) buildings and monuments" has become much more important!  :cool
For example, over the years I have enjoyed looking at the buildings of the fortress in Ulm (built about 150 years ago):
http://www.festung-ulm.de/

Five years ago I went to a festival held at the Old Gasworks buildings in Augsburg, now they will be re-used for theatre, restaurants etc:
https://www.b4bschwaben.de/b4b-nachrichten/augsburg_artikel,-diese%C2%A0gastronomen-beziehen-das-augsburger-gaswerk-_arid,254122.html

MeltingMan

In a way Oeynhausen could stand such a loss. The people had other problems after the war.
Therefore the value for neo-goth or neo-romantic buildings was little. My or our generation is
not responsible for the war(s), so we ask: was it right to demolish them - long term?
I have to admit that it took thirty years to decide that Oeynhausen will get a bypass and it
will take another fifty years to initiate a possible reconstruction of the villa - apart from the
money. I'm not angry, but when I heard about it firstly (two years ago) I couldn't believe that
this had happened.

chemicaloverload

Yes Ulrich, the same idea of 'listed' buildings over here. To preserve them. But, like most things in life it comes down whether the Local Authority has the money to preserve them. So lots of buildings that have lost their use, they let they go to the point of being a danger so they then have the right to knock them down which is sad really. I live near an old hospital and they are doing it to that. It has a beautiful old clock tower and who ever owned it prior to it beoming an NHS building, had gifted it to the NHS, so what they'll do according to the original disposition, who knows, but they are letting it crumble and die. It has an old railway tunnel too, that used to ship wounded soldiers to be treated.

You worry as you get older that the next generation will miss out on all these points of historical interest. I keep hoping they turn the old buildings into houses.