Currently Watching

Started by Steve, July 14, 2007, 17:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

Both look like interesting viewing, @Ulrich - unfortunately our local big screen probably won't run this one (maybe for the International Arts Festival...), so it will likely be home viewing.  Brett has the two first episodes of True Detective squirreled away somewhere already and when he saw the trailer, said it might be time to get them out!

We've been re-watching Dr Who, and this episode is definitely a favourite:

Amazing scene, and there are so many fabulous moments in this episode...

Another huge favourite with us, and anyone not familiar with the series we've shown this to:

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on September 11, 2019, 11:04:05Brett has the two first episodes of True Detective squirreled away somewhere already and when he saw the trailer, said it might be time to get them out!

I'm trying to be disciplined and only watch 1 episode per night (instead of binge-watching)! I like it so far (but then again, I also liked S2 almost as much as S1... seems most people don't)!
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Impressing pictures and sounds from the Usedom peninsula. Spitfire TP280 is magnificent. ❤️

PS: I wonder what happened with SM969. Hm, hm, hm,...why not a tail chase at 20 000ft?
I would like to see some vapor trails. The FW190 pilot looks a bit tired after landing. Not surprising.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

Another beautiful video - this time TP280 alone. Note the victory roll(s) and the
take-off at 5:55 with open cockpit. The Spit Mk.XVIII had actually a retractable tailwheel.
The color scheme is adopted from the 60 Sqn RAF. ❤️

MeltingMan

This video has no sound. Note the swell, the sunlight and the Westland Wyvern with
contra-props. 😎

MeltingMan

This version, an Australian Spitfire Mk.VIII, has a retractable tailwheel.
It is possibly the best Spit anyway, from a pilot's view.

SueC

Great clips, @MeltingMan! :cool Particularly loved the slow-down mechanism for landing on aircraft carriers - we'd not seen that method before!

From something airborne to something ground-dwelling: We filmed this horse, who once thought cows were bogeymen who would eat him, the month he discovered cattle actually run away from horses.  What a difference in outlook that made!   I love the way he's running up to the camera person at the end going, "Aren't I clever?" :rofl

Serious things we are watching:  Two episodes to go on a classic series from 50 years ago.  I highly recommend it! :)

SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

OMG...I love it. 😃

word_on_a_wing

<< The Prisoner
I hadn't heard of it, but just had a quick look and not really my cup of tea. But guess who said it was one of their favourite shows? RS in this 1983 article...

1983 article
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

word_on_a_wing

...but seriously, what's up with the answer to what he hates. It makes me want to force him to watch this scene from Scrooge starring Albert Finney (1970).

"Perpetual spree!"

Ok Now I feel like watching the whole film again (one of my favourites) 👍
The film is here if anyone is interested. Highly recommended!

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 30, 2019, 11:53:38<< The Prisoner
I hadn't heard of it, but just had a quick look and not really my cup of tea. But guess who said it was one of their favourite shows? RS in this 1983 article...

1983 article

Thanks for the link! :)  ...and those long record titles in the side column!  :rofl

A friend all the way back from high school got Brett into this show when they were teenagers, so it was in his collection and after we met, when he heard I'd not seen it yet, he said, "Give this a shot!"  I don't normally watch spy drama and I loathe James Bond in all its incarnations, but this is different, in the same way Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes are different from standard police dramas, and favourites in this household. :heart-eyes

The setting for The Prisoner is gorgeous - filmed on location in the Welsh seaside town of Portmeirion, with its lovely Mediterranean architecture.  It's not your standard jail, but it's interesting how it functions in the role of a jail - the perfect little village, with extra friendly people whose very friendliness starts to grate pretty quickly, just like lots of other things that tourists normally love and try to surround themselves with.  In part it's the lack of choice that does it.  The programme makes you think about society, power, peer pressure, conformity, how to hang on to your integrity, the nature of freedom.  The lead actor is fabulous in this, his character deprived of freedom in many ways, but cultivating and holding onto other kinds of freedom his oppressors can't touch, and never giving up.

When we're done with this series, I've got a re-watch of Pleasantville lined up - for its fairly obvious parallels:

PS:  Re your second post:  I think Robert Smith is a bit like Marvin the Paranoid Android.  Strong tendency to marvinise,  ;)
SueC is time travelling

SueC

Just finished this - very like the Famous Five meeting a horrid supernatural monster.  Was very well acted and shot.  Not usually into Horror but the occasional one is good; Triangle wasn't bad either.

PS: @MeltingMan, we finished The Prisoner last week.  Excellent conclusion.  Got a theory?  :cool
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

I had such a "green" premonition. Honestly! And then the mirror - reminds me of Dance of the Vampires, only at Polanski the mirror is empty and the hall filled with vampires. You have to understand that first. 👹 The music and interior design is excellent.
And excellent actors too, of course.

MeltingMan

Let's stay a moment in 1967 with a touch of Gothic!  😇

SueC

Some nice holiday viewing - especially if you're already a fan of Jane Austen - well, this puts a twist on it:

It looks very violent in the promo clip, but I think that's overplayed in the clip. It is actually very funny... I'd call it black comedy, not horror. And how's this for the famous Elizabeth-rejects-Darcy scene revisited:

Hahaha!  :rofl
SueC is time travelling