2009.02.26 London - O2 Arena 'The Shockwaves NME Awards Big Gig' (England)

Started by dsanchez, November 04, 2008, 11:36:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillinger

Has anyone been to the o2 before? Me and my friend are going to try convince them we dropped our tickets in the standing area and had just gone out to the loo, maybe half way through crystal castles set. Do you think this will work? We have seats, would rather be standing.

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Trust...

I wish you also all a very good time  :smth023 Enjoy the show and let us know :-)
(now my chance to see the show was slipped away ....)  :cry:
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

takaros72

japanesebaby

so how was it? any reviews/details we should know?  anything different than on the 4tour? :)

i promised myself i wouldn't complain about the set list - so i won't. ;)

Dillinger

Was a great show, shame I had to miss the last 2 songs to run for the tube. One Hundred Years was my personal favourite.

othervoices

underneath the stars, from the edge of the deep green sea, the perfect boy, the end of the world, sleep when i'm dead, a forest, three imaginary boys, shake dog shake, maybe someday, the only one, inbetween days, just like heaven, primary, want, the hungry ghost, disintegration, one hundred years, it's over,

E1: boys don't cry, jumping someone else's train, grinding halt, 10:15 saturday night, killing an arab.

Much better show than I had anticipated, with a much better history of the cure rather than "radio friendly hits".

Camera battery died before the cure came on, so have had to make do with very bad images from a mobile phone... several in the 2009 gallery now....

The whole gig was filmed, hopefully material will be used on the 30th anniversay DVD.

A really tight performance!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Charlotte1981 on February 27, 2009, 22:19:55
Something that might be intersting:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPCC8OR7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=17PCR92C

For those who couldnĀ“t be there a little impression with WANT and Grinding Halt!

Enjoy!

thanks Charlotte1981 for sharing  :smth023

by the way, how was robert's voice throughout the show? any problems this time?

(and also, were the live broadcasts cancelled because the band chickened or because of something else? just wondering. perhaps it was mentioned/explained something, i do admit i've pretty much just skimmed the news lately so i might have just missed the info.)

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 27, 2009, 13:05:41
so how was it? any reviews/details we should know?  anything different than on the 4tour? :)

Go on and complain if you'd like.  But really, I don't see much to complain about and you know that I'm usually one to have a strong opinion on song selection.  ;)

One song from each album  :smth023

Used the opportunity to promote 4:13 Dream  :smth023

First time since Disintegration came out that only one song from the album was played.  :smth023  Not that I dislike those songs, just refreshing to not hear standards such as Pictures of you and Lullaby.

A completely mixed up main set.  :smth023  A Forest, Three Imaginary Boys...Great to keep the fans wondering what was coming next, even if the songs themselves weren't a surprise.

Underneath the Stars > FTEOTDGS  :smth023  Nice way to open a show.
Primary > Want > The Hungry Ghost > Disintegration > One Hundred Years > It's Over  :rocker  Now that stretch is f*cking ace!

My one complaint is no Push.  :(  I'd have preferred it over Inbetween Days.  Not surprised that it wasn't played given the one song per album theme. 

Of course this is just my opinion.  Please share yours.

Druide

It was an excellent show...yes fukcing excellent !!!
The sound, the crowd and THE band !!!!

UTS + FTEOTDGS : A good introduction
A very short version of A Forest...arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
Primary > Want > The Hungry Ghost > Disintegration > One Hundred Years > It's Over : SIMPLY Amazingggggggggggggggggggggg  :smth023

But on It's Over, voice problem...

What the next now...In Europe... 8)
...Dancing in my pocket...

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on February 28, 2009, 04:26:17
Quote from: japanesebaby on February 27, 2009, 13:05:41

Go on and complain if you'd like.  But really, I don't see much to complain about and you know that I'm usually one to have a strong opinion on song selection.  ;)

One song from each album  :smth023

Used the opportunity to promote 4:13 Dream  :smth023

First time since Disintegration came out that only one song from the album was played.  :smth023  Not that I dislike those songs, just refreshing to not hear standards such as Pictures of you and Lullaby.

A completely mixed up main set.  :smth023  A Forest, Three Imaginary Boys...Great to keep the fans wondering what was coming next, even if the songs themselves weren't a surprise.

Underneath the Stars > FTEOTDGS  :smth023  Nice way to open a show.
Primary > Want > The Hungry Ghost > Disintegration > One Hundred Years > It's Over  :rocker  Now that stretch is f*cking ace!

My one complaint is no Push.  :(  I'd have preferred it over Inbetween Days.  Not surprised that it wasn't played given the one song per album theme. 

Of course this is just my opinion.  Please share yours.

well, maybe i won't bother you with mine after all. ;) especially as i in no way did mean to drag anyone's spirits down. so let's just forget it.

but i sort of meant the good ol' encores when i said that.

Quote from: Druide on February 28, 2009, 07:56:43
But on It's Over, voice problem...

hmm that's a bit bad news. i hope it doesn't mean he can't do really long shows anymore?

dsanchez

According to COF the Big Gig is going to be shown on NME TV on Friday 6th March at 12pm and 10pm :!:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

othervoices

In terms of good sequences don't omit the "a forest, three imaginary boys, shake dog shake, maybe someday" stretch of the mainset - it's the first time since I started attending cure shows that I've seen 3IB in the main set, first time since '89 (I think, need to check) that a forest has been in a mainset (for me).. great mix up of the usual contenders. Maybe someday was probably my biggest supprise - and shake dog shake just does "it" every time for me... loving the shadow video backdrop - just looks so cool.

In terms of omissions, lovesong and push are notable - but quite acceptable given time limits imposed. Playing disintegration rather than a usual '89 suspect was refreshing, it even had slightly different guitar... Primary had the "proper" muffled guitar strings at the beginning - something I don't think I've heard since 92.

Did I mention HOW GOOD THIS WAS!!!!!!

I really hope this show has been taped  ;).

othervoices

and here is the t-shirt - face on front, words on back. I like the use of the number/dream theme that has been used...

http://curefans.com/index.php/v/live/2009/IMG_0745web.jpg.html?action=gallery
http://curefans.com/index.php/v/live/2009/IMG_0744web.jpg.html?action=gallery