Simon Gallup no longer in The Cure? (False)

Started by dsanchez, August 14, 2021, 22:43:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

News still in development. Personally this would mean to me the end of The Cure :(

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I didn&#39;t know Simon had a Facebook account. I will only believe this if confirmed by <a href="https://twitter.com/RobertSmith?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RobertSmith</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/thecure?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@thecure</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCo35677578?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JasonCo35677578</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/EdVGallup?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@EdVGallup</a>... So let&#39;s wait for official confirmation. To many fans, this news (if true) would mean the end of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheCure?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheCure</a> :( <a href="https://t.co/nKzZDsYFPt">https://t.co/nKzZDsYFPt</a></p>&mdash; curefans (@curefans) <a href="https://twitter.com/curefans/status/1426644529935945729?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Richard Bellia (photographer, who knows the band in person) posted this on his FB:

QuoteLes points de suspension lourds de sens, l'attaque passive agressive (slightly / heavy), les espaces inutiles (avant le point d'exclamation et après to them all, comme des silences rajoutés), je pense que c'est du Malraux 2.0, ce statut.

Roger O'Donnell posted this on his twitter (ha ha):
QuoteA friend just told me they saw Lol in the Guitar Centre buying a bass???????
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 15, 2021, 10:20:56Roger O'Donnell posted this on his twitter (ha ha):
Quote from: undefinedA friend just told me they saw Lol in the Guitar Centre buying a bass???????

Meow!  :angel

Multiple question/exclamation marks are a sure sign of an unstable personality.  :winking_tongue

(ETA - the next bit, and my subsequent posts in this thread, were a response to actually looking at the social media on this - which I hadn't made clear and should have.)

I dunno why some people are being so tragic about this. Nobody is obliged to keep doing the same thing forever and ever, and even marriages break up. The Cure have had various line-ups and have always been The Cure regardless. I've preferred some line-ups to others but haven't been unhappy with any of the line-ups they've had in the last 30 years or so, and even if I was unhappy about a line-up, that would just be my opinion and my problem and about as useful as a public opinion on a celebrity marriage. I am not those people, I don't live their lives, and what they do is up to them - it's everyone's right to determine their own life and to do what they think is best. We don't own other people.

And besides, there's still a possibility this is, for example, a drunken rant, or a practical joke played by a family member (or just a practical joke by the person themselves to see what would happen if the cat was thrown among the pigeons). We've got no idea what's going on, it's at this stage just speculation. If it's a drunken rant (and note I assign no probabilities here), what people say when they are upset and what they say when the dust has settled can be quite different. Or not.

At our house we think Simon Gallup is a fabulous bass player, and we'd miss him if he hung up his long gig with The Cure, but we'd likewise be interested in any musical project he might do next (and we'd also geddit if a person just wanted to retire from all of that). We'd also be interested in anything musical The Cure did next. And above all, the idea that's most important to us is that the people concerned are happy doing whatever it is they decide to do and not to do.

When Karl Wallinger split from The Waterboys last century, it ended a particular sound, but The Waterboys continued producing stuff I personally enjoyed and considered to be The Waterboys; while Karl Wallinger went on to do things with World Party which I also enjoyed, so I don't think these kinds of situations are necessarily creative losses.

Isn't it interesting though that often there's the perception that if the singer leaves a band it's necessarily the end of the band, because the vocal is such a signature etc. One counterexample of that is AC/DC, who did just fine with their second singer. In AC/DC's case this may be easier because they're all screamers, so it probably doesn't matter as much. We think Simon Gallup's bass is actually as signature a sound to The Cure as their vocalist is - but since The Cure have played so many different styles, it's not inconceivable in theory for them to do a change of direction if someone leaves (although in practical terms, they may not be that interested in making more albums etc).

And considering the COVID-19 deaths in the UK, frankly, we're happy none of them ended up on ventilators. There's things that are so much more important than what people do with their public lives, especially if they have already served the community well, and for a long time, which these people have certainly done. ♥
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 11:34:20I dunno why some people are being so tragic about this.

Because it would be the end of The Cure. Robert himself has said there's no The Cure without Simon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-cure-s-robert-smith-i-survived-a-lot-of-people-in-london-didn-t-1.3538003
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

First of all, just give it a week or two and see how it pans out. And if it does go that way, and stays that way, it's unlikely to mean all of them are going to stop making music in all forms. Even people who retire completely from public performance (and I doubt they're all going to do that simultaneously) still generally enjoy making music in their own circles, homes etc - and (!) they probably all have other pursuits that are highly meaningful to them. At the end of the day, what matters is that people are living lives that are fulfilling - not that a particular set of musicians stay together till death do them part. :)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Of course Simon has been a very important part of this band (and always will be). He played on many albums and many tours. (His son, who's his "bass tech", stepped in for him recently, when Simon had to go home for important matters. Plus the album has allegedly been recorded, so even if Simon left, they could still release recordings with him on bass.)

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 11:34:20Multiple question/exclamation marks are a sure sign of an unstable personality.  :winking_tongue

Who isn't unstable these days???? I guess many people are, especially artists.

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 11:34:20And besides, there's still a possibility this is, for example, a drunken rant, or a practical joke

Or a hack, identity theft etc. (There is a reason for the posts of both R. Bellia and Roger.)
Give it a few more hours for any official statements.

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 11:34:20One counterexample of that is AC/DC, who did just fine with their second singer.

Not an AC/DC fan here, but around the time Axl Rose stepped in for Brian Johnson temporarily (to finish a tour), I learned that Dave Evans was indeed their first singer (before Bon Scott).

Quote from: undefinedDavid Evans (born 20 July 1953) is an Australian singer. He briefly sang for the hard rock band AC/DC in 1973–1974, appearing on their debut single before being replaced by Bon Scott.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Evans_(singer)

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 15, 2021, 10:20:56Roger O'Donnell posted this on his twitter (ha ha):
Quote from: undefinedA friend just told me they saw Lol in the Guitar Centre buying a bass???????

Quote from: Ulrich on August 15, 2021, 14:46:39
Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 11:34:20Multiple question/exclamation marks are a sure sign of an unstable personality.  :winking_tongue

Who isn't unstable these days???? I guess many people are, especially artists.

Bwahahaha!  :lol:  (!!!! :angel)

Quote from: Ulrich on August 15, 2021, 14:46:39Not an AC/DC fan here, but around the time Axl Rose stepped in for Brian Johnson temporarily (to finish a tour), I learned that Dave Evans was indeed their first singer (before Bon Scott).

Me neither - but I've heard it said that the secret of that kind of singing is to gargle with Drano!  :-D  (Or was it three bottles of whisky and ten packets of cigarettes a day?)

And what did Dave Evans do after that? Get nicknamed The Edge and play guitar for a little band called U2.  ;)  The things we're discovering about rock'n'roll history.  :angel
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchezPersonally this would mean to me the end of The Cure

At least now you need an update for your avatar. 😉

Heads up!
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

While music news channels pick it up, I'm becoming more and more certain that this is a scam!

Quote from: undefinedWhen asked by a fan if the exit was health-related, Gallup responded, "I'm ok... just got fed up of betrayal."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-cure-bassist-simon-gallup-leaves-band-1212406/

Personally, I don't think Simon would post something like that in public (if he felt betrayed, he should talk with his band mates)!

Plus, allegedly he deleted his twitter. Why on earth would he do that just before posting a "news bomb" like that, doesn't make sense at all.  :1f62b:

Thus, until there's official confirmation, I will believe his FB has been hacked. (As well as his twitter, which the hacker then deleted.)

SueC

Imagine how many buckets of tears and cubic parsecs of angst will have been unnecessarily expended by people who start emoting about stuff before there's any kind of confirmation that it's real. What do we tell students when they do research assignments? Don't take any one source as truth, you need to consult a bare minimum of three different sources and they have to be trustworthy, and then you have to use your own brain, etc.

I think it's pretty irresponsible of music media outlets to be picking this up at such a stage and to be propagating it as news...but hey, that seems to be the standard of reporting that's commonly done these days, which explains a whole bunch of other things in this world at present...

But can you imagine the fun you could have, were you a keen student of humanity, if you knew this was misinformation and looked at the reactions? It'd be like a mini-project in social research.  :yum:

Actually, it would be a mini-project in social research whichever way you cut this!  :winking_tongue

...can anyone else smell an omelette? :angel
SueC is time travelling

SueC

Quote from: MeltingMan on August 15, 2021, 18:02:41
Quote from: dsanchezPersonally this would mean to me the end of The Cure

At least now you need an update for your avatar. 😉

You're kidding! I always thought that was a photo of @dsanchez:angel

And by the way, is that a hammock on your own avatar, @MeltingMan? (One for reading rare books in, perhaps? ;)) My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and pushing "ctrl+" doesn't help either...

@Ulrich, why does your avatar indicate you have multiple personalities?

...I'm still happy with my own avatar. It's the most rational-seeming and least stoned-looking of them all! :winking_tongue
SueC is time travelling

SueC

And so in Australia, as we wake up, nothing was added to verify or dispel this matter. We have a quantum state of uncertainty, and a Schrödinger's bass player who simultaneously may be in The Cure and not in The Cure.

Is this a good time to make a confession? Being a relatively new Cure fan, the first live film I saw of them was Trilogy, and I saw that about four years ago. (That is not the confession, that is just a context.) So that was the first time I saw any kind of prolonged visual on the band since I'd stopped watching Countdown as a middle teenager in the 1980s, and this was before I'd listened to any studio album except Bloodflowers - just before diving into their back catalogue - we ordered Disintegration off the back of enjoying Trilogy. And I thought, "Oh, they have a new bass player! This one is a surprisingly presentable specimen, looks intelligent too, and a bit younger than the rest of the old guard here, about the same age as the current drummer. I wonder when they changed bass players. They used to have this pretty-boy, inflatable looking thing who perpetually looked stoned."

And Brett, who's good with faces and changing faces, says to me, "That's actually the same person!" :1f62e:  No really?

Yes really. Some people really do improve visually as they get older and don't hit their peak until their 40s. Of course, many people would argue with me about that particular example's peak - but then, when most of my female students were fantasising about Leonardo DiCaprio, I was subconsciously looking for his air valve.  :angel

@Ulrich AKA music encyclopaedia: By the way, we'd assumed Bon Scott was the first and Brian Johnson the second and thank you for straightening us out on that front. On related matters, Brett says Pink Floyd had three singers and still sounded like Pink Floyd - different, but it still worked. Although I'm sure it really annoyed some people. We also agree that if The Cure had to record an album without Robert Smith, it would still sound like Cure instrumentals (and still be worth listening to!).  :yum:
SueC is time travelling

Matti

Oh wow.

I'm not going to comment on this as long as there's no official (or second) source.

Quote from: SueC on August 16, 2021, 01:50:49Brett says Pink Floyd had three singers and still sounded like Pink Floyd

In fact the Floyd never had one dedicated singer, so if you put it all together there's four: Syd Barrett (who "left" after the first album), David Gilmour, Rick Wright, and Roger Waters. And by the way, the Pink Floyd sound (pun intended) has never really been influenced much on the singer.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

What's it with music news portals these days? None of them can reach out to the band members and ask for a statement? Each and every one just seems to take their "info" from that one FB post...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-cure-bassist-simon-gallup-says-hes-left-the-band-3019159

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 20:19:13... why does your avatar indicate you have multiple personalities?

Because I have? (I guess?) And probably because I'm unstable??????????????

SueC

Quote from: Matti on August 16, 2021, 07:38:35
Quote from: SueC on August 16, 2021, 01:50:49Brett says Pink Floyd had three singers and still sounded like Pink Floyd

In fact the Floyd never had one dedicated singer, so if you put it all together there's four: Syd Barrett (who "left" after the first album), David Gilmour, Rick Wright, and Roger Waters. And by the way, the Pink Floyd sound (pun intended) has never really been influenced much on the singer.

I'll let him know he missed one. And despite of this, it didn't stop some people complaining really loudly when Gilmour started doing the main vocals because Waters left. Personally I think he does an excellent job.

@Ulrich, did you become significantly more unstable overnight? :angel
SueC is time travelling