(When) Will The Cure Get A Keyboardist?

Started by Bloodflower, May 31, 2007, 22:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsquidy13

To be honest, I think they should keep a set of keyboards with them. THen When Plainsong comes on, SMith can do the guitar part and Porl can switch to keyboards. THey could do that on a few others too.

I Think Push sounds great without keys though!

Cure Freak

I'm sticking to my guns, so to speak. There are songs,that absolutely  need the keys. If not, at least use sequences.
But the whole feeling and emotion would be lost,in certain songs, if the keyboard wasn't present. Such as Cold. I cannot, for the life of, me have that song played anyway, but with the keys added. The whole feeling, for me would not be there if it wasn't. Another song would be Breathe. That song just crys for a keyboard.

disintegration

In my opinion keys are necessary in songs as trust, cold, at night (without keys don't like me).
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Lady

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 22, 2007, 13:44:28
I'm sticking to my guns, so to speak. There are songs,that absolutely  need the keys. If not, at least use sequences.
But the whole feeling and emotion would be lost,in certain songs, if the keyboard wasn't present. Such as Cold. I cannot, for the life of, me have that song played anyway, but with the keys added. The whole feeling, for me would not be there if it wasn't. Another song would be Breathe. That song just crys for a keyboard.
This is exactly my point of view.
Cold, At Night, and other songs lose all their "magic" without keys, even if the guitars sound in a great way! :smth001
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Miss_Matrix

Ok... i guess Cold is out of the current setlists for that reason... but in the other hand they are bringing in some long forgotten gorgeous songs.

And in the case of Kyoto Song i guess they brought it back because they were going to Asia... and thanks God they kept it in the setlist thus played it in Mexico too! I don't really care if they used secuences, to me the most important thing was the fact that i got the chance to listen live to one of the songs that have captured my imagination for years. And the same happened with At Night.

Now in the case of Bloodflowers, that song was required to close the main setlist the third night because they were giving a Dream Tour flavour to that show (maybe to compensate us for not coming in 2000 and i certainly loved them for doing so). Without the keyboards the band hesitated and entered all wrong, but after a moment they got a grip and by the time the guitar solo entered, i was crying...

So my point is that for a great band like The Cure, nothing is out of reach: they wanted to play Kyoto Song in Japan, they wanted to play songs from Bloodflowers in Mexico and then get playful with The Lovecats, so the lack of keyboards is quite obvious just an insignificant detail for them.

And such boldness is one of the things that keep my ever growing respect for the band.

Steve

Some good points on this thread. Makes interesting reading.
I just listened to At Night from the Avenches 2005 show & I think it's one of the best versions ever played ++ it has no keyboards.
I'm not really a "keyboardy" person (much rather have a dirty guitar sound), but so much of the Cure material could really do with that layer put back in.
Even subtle stuff like the Seventeen Seconds pieces would just fill up the sound a bit.
I can't really appreciate any Disintegration stuff without keyboards TBH, but some of the other arrangements have been very good.
One thing that has to be made clear to Mad Bob et al & that is don't try the long intro to A Forest without keyboards PLEASE. :roll:
The Download festival version is a perfect example of how to horse up a classic by trying to mimic the keyboard intro with a guitar. :evil:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Jozef

Although I've been quite satisfied by some of the new arrangements of songs, I do miss the keyboards. I'd like to see a new band member join on keys or maybe an old one (Matthieu Hartley anyone?).

Bloodflower

The two people I'd most like The Cure to have for the keyboards would be Lol or Severin.

Levinhurst's stuff seems of a higher quality on Lol's part than in the old days; and honestly, I'd be happy if a monkey strung out on crack played the keys.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Jozef

I wasn't aware Severin was a consistent keyboards player. I knew he played them on a few Banshees albums, but I don't know how he'd work out in a live setting. That would be certainly interesting.

Steve

Now Severin is an inspired idea. :smth023
Never thought of that myself.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

scatcat

hmmm. Steve Severin: (bass).. "Banshee Severin joined a lone Robert Smith to record 'Lament' in the summer of 1982. he also made a BBC TV appearance alongside Smith and Tolhurst in March, 1983. he was never a member of the Cure, but he was not never a member either. Still a Banchee, though"
quote from In between Days: An armchair guide to The Cure.

my probably most preferrable ( if there was to be a keyboardist).. would be Lol... and of course, Porl, but it of course.. matter of opinion and preferences.. still open to debate. Will there be someone NEW??
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Bloodflower

Or anyone at all?

I'm pessimistic about the likelihood of The Cure every getting keyboards back into things, now. Some things worked, some things didn't.

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 09, 2008, 20:04:08
an old clipping :-D

epic win  :roll:

I also love how they dont even attempt Close to Me without a backing track playing the keyboard bit.

I miss Roger, his keyboard playing really stole the show on alot of songs. Play For Today is sooo much better keyboards. I mean having people sing along is a nice addition but when they dont it just ends up sounding silly like at hollywood bowl. And the long intro to A Forest is just disasterous without keys. Plainsong, Lullaby, and Just Like Heaven are okay though. Porl really is one hell of a guitarist and makes it work really well.

Bloodflower

I miss keyboards still.

Not so much Roger.

Though 'Trust' in 2000 blows me away with his additions.

Keeeeeeys......

[I like keyless Cure a lot more now than I did, though. So progress is progressing.]