What's the best song to start the new year?

Started by dsanchez, December 31, 2020, 17:29:03

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Due its power and lyrics and motivation I can't think of other but 'Want'. What about you?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Motivation? I read Want not as an anthem to arise, go forth and conquer, but as an invitation to think, as a warning of what consumer society and popular culture will try to shape you into if you don't think for yourself.  I don't think it lauds half the things it lists.  But then, I am a hippie and will read songs in ways they make sense to me!  :)  (And in that sense, it's a good one to reflect on in yet another year of living in a society driven by consumption - which people used to die from when it was the common term for tuberculosis, and which they're dying from now that it commonly means something else, as well...)

As to your question, Brett would like to offer One Hundred Years for its opening line :angel (he's a naughty imp, believe me, I've lived with him over 14 years ♥).

I haven't made up my mind yet, and will get back to you.  Probably, as usual, I won't settle on any one song!  :winking_tongue
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

For me, it's "Doing the unstuck" this year - "tear out the pages with all the bad news"!!

P.S.: I agree about "Want", it seems like Robert is picking up the same "topic" as with "Never Enough" again (he later re-visited it with "The Hungry Ghost")!
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

For a few years now, I start every new year with "Want". Happy new year @Ulrich and everyone who see this post!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

You make it sound like I'm the only "regular" left here...  :1f631:

First Cure song I listened to in 2023 was "The big hand (demo version)", but only because it is the first song on disc 2 of the "Wish remaster", which I put on in the car...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...