clapping instructions

Started by japanesebaby, December 22, 2007, 10:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

I promise.. this is my last post in this thread!!I am laughing soo much cos.. I would be the ones in the crowd not keeping time....  :-D  because of short-term memory loss.. I get to 3 and I forget where I am!!  :smth100

laugh !! haha!!.. don't worry I'll forget in a few seconds..  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 22, 2007, 12:01:23
i went to marilyn manson two days ago

I hope you won a free ticket instead of paying good money to see them.  :P  Sorry, I just really don't like MM. 

Anyway, I'm sitting here at work wondering if I can clap along in 5/4 (no speakers on my work computer).  Pretty sure it's a feasible task.  I studied music throughout school (mostly performance with one sememster of theory.  We spent some time conducting and went through various oddball time signatures.  5/4 was a challange...

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 22, 2007, 16:53:27
but babbling about it on stage in a rock concert is just a lifeless habit today. it's just as stereotyped and manieristic as doing some "good ol' genuine rock moves and poses on stage: it has just as much message and content as that.

Agree here. Actually this "pose" reminds me of lot of people here in Peru using a "Che Guevara" t-shirt without probably knowing who the hell he was.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Quote from: dsanchez on December 22, 2007, 21:08:28
but babbling about it on stage in a rock concert is just a lifeless habit today. it's just as stereotyped and manieristic as doing some "good ol' genuine rock moves and poses on stage: it has just as much message and content as that.

Agree here. Actually this "pose" reminds me of lot of people here in Peru using a "Che Guevara" t-shirt without probably knowing who the hell he was.

Same thing in the U.S. w/ people wearing Che Guevara shirts.  There's even some that parody his likeness.  I swear most people weat them simply because they saw some rock star wearing one.  They guys in Rage Against the Machine come to mind.   

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on December 22, 2007, 22:52:24
Quote from: dsanchez on December 22, 2007, 21:08:28

Same thing in the U.S. w/ people wearing Che Guevara shirts.  There's even some that parody his likeness.  I swear most people weat them simply because they saw some rock star wearing one.  They guys in Rage Against the Machine come to mind.   

i think most people who one can see weargin che guevara shirts here are just some posh kids that bought them from some over-priced retro shop - and that's all there is to it for them.  :roll:

about ms. manson: yeah actually i did pay for my ticket but actually i also do have a perfectly good excuse for it.
but not that i like him, no. but to be honest what comes to the show, i've actually paid for crappier and less entertaining shows than his - but what comes to his music, well i've certainly heard better. :-P

(and come on guys CLAPPING to 5/4 just isn't difficult (unless clapping hadns together is to be considered difficult in general). but sure, conducting in 5/4 might crave a bit more - but not clapping.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

LuvURobert

Too funny!  :smth043

Why do people insist on clapping during songs who have no rythym whatsoever?  :smth017  That's just so annoying!  :shock:
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

japanesebaby

Quote from: LuvURobert on December 23, 2007, 17:43:37
Why do people insist on clapping during songs who have no rythym whatsoever?  :smth017  That's just so annoying!  :shock:

indeed. it reminds me of people back in school who had no musical ear whatsoever but who sitll had to listen to music and had to have their favorite bands/groups - just because it was something that everyone was supposed to have. i remember my cousin who's totally deaf and has NO musicla ear/talent whatsoever: he always just looked what records were selling and then went and bought those and listened to those and that was his new favorite music for a while. and the next week he "got into" some coompletely other group - i remember how that was driving me crazy back then! because there was no logic in it whatsoever, what bands he picked up...
anyway, nowadays i tend to think that it must have been sort of awful to force oneself to like music just because it's "something that everyone's supposed to like". :S

also, that's probably why all these utterly crappy artists sell so many records all the time: because millions of deaf people buy it just because there's this social pressure to "like" music.

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 04, 2008, 19:41:56
also, that's probably why all these utterly crappy artists sell so many records all the time: because millions of deaf people buy it just because there's this social pressure to "like" music.

hahaha  :smth046  I am a non-conformist!! I refuse to conform to the dreadful noise that is out there nowadays... with but a few exceptions.. I am getting too old.  :smth011  I still live in the 80's  :oops:  and even further back, 60's, and even 70's..  8)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

I just saw this today...And if I'd been there I probably would have hopped up on stage and kissed the guy. It makes me crazy when people start clapping at a concert, because after a very short time they start clapping off-rhythm -- usually too fast. And it just spoils things for me -- I'm one of those hateful people who used to shoot dark looks at the girl behind me in high school choir when she hit a sour note. :oops: I realize concerts should be about participation and mine is kind of a snobbish b*tchy attitude, but to me if you can't sing or keep time....Shut your mouth and keep your hands still!

silversand

I've watched the video and it's funny  :smth043
Oh dear the crowd has no rhythm.
I normally like it when people are clapping at concerts, but not off-rhythm.

Better you let it be. And i also don't like it when people are singing and it's
out of tune. That sounds horrible. It's better they sing in their own four walls, so they won't get on your nerves.

So do not clapping and singing at Concerts :)  ;)

I have nothing against if an artist communicates with the audience, but it should let me say not something that you have the feeling you have to cover your ears. That happend to me at the Hurrikan Festival 2004. The Hives were on stage before The Cure and the singer talked such rubbish, e.g. something like - have you cleaned your teeth. It was unpleasant.
Someone said in turn, in the crowd where i was standing, that the singer of the next band doesn't talk too much.
After The Hives were gone i was really glad. And yes Robert didn't talk too much,  as always :D

japanesebaby

Quote from: silversand on January 06, 2008, 01:13:01
I have nothing against if an artist communicates with the audience, but it should let me say not something that you have the feeling you have to cover your ears. That happend to me at the Hurrikan Festival 2004. The Hives were on stage before The Cure and the singer talked such rubbish, e.g. something like - have you cleaned your teeth. It was unpleasant.
Someone said in turn, in the crowd where i was standing, that the singer of the next band doesn't talk too much.
After The Hives were gone i was really glad. And yes Robert didn't talk too much,  as always :D

yeah, that kind of thing sucks! the stupidest experience i've had was at the Muse gig on wembley stadium last summer, when i was forced to watch through the My Chemical Romance's opening set (oh christ!!). i think everyone in the audience was really thrilled, waiting for the actual, PRIMARY show to start. everyone was there having a great time and very happy, many people travelled a long way to be there (like myself). and then this idiotic MCR singer starts a speech like "don't be depressed, remember that suicide is never an option..." - everyone was like WTF????? ok, suicide is a very serious thing and depression is a very serious thing, i don't disagree - BUT people should know WHEN they say something. some people have absolutely NO sense of so called "situation intelligence" (don't know the english word, sorry). i mean they can't seem to read the situation and understand what's going on and act according to that. and coming from a stage performer, that's a sign of unprofessionalism.  :smth011

i remember that people around me started shouting back "hey stop it - or i'll kill myself!!!" to the MCR singer... of course, a bad joke - but sort of fitting one too!

and yeah: some people should only sing when they are taking a shower.

Steve

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2008, 09:58:24

:smth043 :smth043 :smth044 :smth045

Love the clapping lesson. I always sing in the shower, but has anyone ever tried clapping in the shower? :lol:

I don't mind a bit of banter with the band/ crowd, but it can get embarrassing. I saw the Sisters at Crystal Palace when they supported DM in 93 & Eldritch was way too chatty (poss something to do with stimulants).
He came accross a being a complete @rse. :roll:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2008, 10:13:18
but has anyone ever tried clapping in the shower? :lol:

hey that's a great idea! i think i'm just about to start a new hobby here!  :D  :-D

silversand

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2008, 09:58:24
yeah, that kind of thing sucks! the stupidest experience i've had was at the Muse gig on wembley stadium last summer, when i was forced to watch through the My Chemical Romance's opening set (oh christ!!). i think everyone in the audience was really thrilled, waiting for the actual, PRIMARY show to start. everyone was there having a great time and very happy, many people travelled a long way to be there (like myself). and then this idiotic MCR singer starts a speech like "don't be depressed, remember that suicide is never an option..." - everyone was like WTF????? ok, suicide is a very serious thing and depression is a very serious thing, i don't disagree - BUT people should know WHEN they say something. some people have absolutely NO sense of so called "situation intelligence" (don't know the english word, sorry). i mean they can't seem to read the situation and understand what's going on and act according to that. and coming from a stage performer, that's a sign of unprofessionalism.  :smth011

i remember that people around me started shouting back "hey stop it - or i'll kill myself!!!" to the MCR singer... of course, a bad joke - but sort of fitting one too!

Oh dear, the singer of My Chemical Romance hadn't got a sensitiveness at all.
Why did he say that? He is an idol for his fans. And it was unprofessional.
Like you said suicide and depression are two serious things.

It would sometimes really better if the singer of a band keep his/her mouth shut or think first about what he/she want to say.
But i hope you enjoyed the Muse Concert anyway  :)

@steve: No i haven't tried clapping in the shower yet, but that's really a very good idea, maybe i will try it out :D

sues777

I quite like a bit of friendly banter with the crowd but completely agree that some performers should keep their mouths firmly shut in between songs....

I was taken to see Christina Aguilera a few years ago (definitely NOT my choice I might add) and she launched into in depth monologues about believing in yourself after just about every song, well, when she wasn't changing outfits.

Pleeeasse....I've come to be entertained, not lectured to..

The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show