phobias... what is your personal phobia?

Started by scatcat, January 05, 2008, 15:35:04

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 05, 2008, 19:32:33

(anyway, maybe it's not something i should ask but i wonder how you weren't too scared to give birth to your son? weren't you afraid of that?)

i never feared death at all, until it changed very recently. and i still don't fear the possible pain and i'm not afraid of what might happen to my  poor soul or anything. i guess i'm just afraid that i'll notice that i've just failed everything in life and then that suddenly it's all over and what was the point, that sort of fear i guess. it's more like a fear of failure, i guess. some kind of immense failure as a person, the biggest as there can be: what if you ended up wasting your life? made all the wrong choices, screwed up everything good?  :?

**edit: ok now i think you know too much about me already! :?)

NO, Not scared of labour, Not scared of pain. Pain won't kill ya'. It's the brain that controls these levels. I have high pain threshold I guess?

As for life/death... as someone once said " No one has looked back sadly on a life full of experiences, but many look back wishing they had the courage to do more"

I have had my life flash before my eyes, and in it was my son. No regrets. Courage is not a feeling, it is only when u look back, you can see courage was there. Fear is what u feel when doing a courageous act! Fear is what needs to be faced.
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Quote from: scatcat on January 05, 2008, 19:34:17
now I can't stop laughing... I am 'daft'!! ;)

(okay... the comment went something like..)

hahaha  :smth082 :-D :smth037  'acute fear of falling over'??

how drunk are u? Are U like 7 foot tall, and the distance to the ground is terrifyingly frightening?

Fank you xxx :-D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on January 05, 2008, 19:44:58
As for life/death... as someone once said " No one has looked back sadly on a life full of experiences, but many look back wishing they had the courage to do more"
This ties in nicely with what we were discussing yesterday, japanesbaby... That's what I meant when I said that the inability to feel satisfied without change may not necessarily be a bad thing.

I don't think I have any real phobias, though when I found a cockroach in my house once I went ballistic and cried and hopped about on one leg until my husband got rid of it. Mmmmh, maybe not a phobia, but pretty close... :oops:

j

I'm scared to death that another Republican will get elected as president of the US later this year..... :shock: :smth018 :smth010 :smth009 :smth021 :smth096 :smth093

I can't imagine being afraid to fly...I currently take 4 flights per week for work!

Carnage Visor

I'm terrified of rejection. When I get booed or heckled, my heart-rate rises to scarily unhealthy levels. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to vomit my own insides!

That's why I could never do spelling bees and school plays. I'm too afraid!

sues777

'Tis spiders for me - HATE them.  Horrible, 8 legged, evil things..grrrr... :evil:

So, imagine my surprise when I went to collect my mail a couple of weeks ago and found a red back spider (nasty, nasty poisonous thing) had set up house in my letter box.  Damn thing held my mail hostage for a week as I was too afraid to try and kill it.  Waited until a friend visited, then after a few drinkies, got her to help me kill it.  Much girly squealing ensued.  We ended up drowning the nasty thing in insect spray and spent the rest of the night convinced spiders were crawling on us. Hate,hate,hate spiders.....  :smth011

Oh, and as I live alone, am also irrationally afraid of something happening to me and nobody noticing I'm missing....  :(

Hey CV - I know how you feel!!
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

silversand

I can understand you very good Carnage Visor. I hated it at school when i had to do give a presentation, because most of the time i began to studder or my voice turned over.

I'm afraid of birds, it's not that i don't like birds. But when i was, i think i was 12 or something, i walked to the garden door at my parents house and suddenly a blackbird flew in front of my face. And a australien parriot flew over my head, the bird was from a class mate. From this time on i don't like it when birds are flying in front of my face or over my head.
And please don't say, don't watch "Birds" by Hitchcock.
I've already watched it :)

j

Quote from: Carnage Visor on January 06, 2008, 00:55:43
I'm terrified of rejection. When I get booed or heckled, my heart-rate rises to scarily unhealthy levels. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to vomit my own insides!

That's why I could never do spelling bees and school plays. I'm too afraid!

I have played ice hockey all of my life....both club level and school levels (high school and DIII college).  I think the most people I ever played in front of was about 5000 or so and it was the biggest rush ever.  Hearing the cheers, jeers, etc was great.

I even had a great moment a few weeks ago at my son's game.  He was literally hitting everything and everyone.  By the third period, the other team's parents were running their mouths at my boy, calling him by his last name (even though they all have their names on their jerseys, you almost never hear a parent give a kid crap by name).  I was so proud!  He was even laughing about it on the bench.  However, I told him not to wear his team jacket when we left the rink, just in case some nutty parent realized who he was!

melly

I have a real terror...all consuming...of "going under" when about to have an operation...that feeling of total uselessness, having to "give in" to something so totally debilitating, having no control whatsoever on what's happening to me, to my body...*shudder*.. I fight it...by christ I fight it...to no avail...
operations don't scare me ( not that I've had many at all!!) but the f**king feeling of "slipping away"...eeekk...and I am currently awaiting notification of an op on both of my hands and wrists,( not at once, the right hand is much worse) which MUST be done or I will end up losing the use of it.. which is happening, with intense pain...I can feel the bile rising in my throat as I type this... :smth078 :smth009
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Steve

Oh, joy of joys  :?.
It's currently -5 degrees & actually raining here. Anyone remember that ice magic chocolate sauce stuff that went instantly hard when it hit ice cream?
Well, guess what the rain is doing when it hits the ground?
Some crayzees are actually trying to drive their cars  :shock:
I'm going to a friend's for lunch & he lives up a hill.
Won't be a pleasant walk.  :roll:
Cheers
Steve

slit-the-cats-like-cheese

Quote from: j on January 05, 2008, 20:22:07
I'm scared to death that another Republican will get elected as president of the US later this year..... :shock: :smth018 :smth010 :smth009 :smth021 :smth096 :smth093

Very reasonable and very much reality, this phobia!
Because people say "I'm afraid of height" = don't go to height places. If "afraid to fly" = ok don't take a fly!
But when people choose shit politician run your country = you can't stop it. It can maybe ruin your life. Life of many other people. It can start wars and pollute our world adn destroy life.
This is true phobia for to have!

robiola

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2008, 09:34:19
It's currently -5 degrees & actually raining here. Anyone remember that ice magic chocolate sauce stuff that went instantly hard when it hit ice cream?
Mmmmh...not a good day for someone who has a phobia of falling over. I wonder what will be more thrilling -- trying to walk up that hill or coming back down?? Let us know if you make it back whole and unbruised. ;)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2008, 09:34:19

i just watched the news and they said it's been really weird weather in some parts of the world today, like it had snowed something like 40 centimeters in morocco. and they also said that eastern europe has been under heavy snowfall today. don't know how it's in hungary then(?)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2008, 16:09:28
i just watched the news and they said it's been really weird weather in some parts of the world today, like it had snowed something like 40 centimeters in morocco. and they also said that eastern europe has been under heavy snowfall today. don't know how it's in hungary then(?)

No kidding....at this time of year, we are generally around -7 C (20F).  The next 2 days are supposed to be a high temperature of 18C (65F)!  I guess our glorious monkey leader GW Bush is right... there's no such thing as global warming. :smth011

Steve

Quote from: j on January 06, 2008, 16:58:05
Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2008, 16:09:28

No kidding....at this time of year, we are generally around -7 C (20F).  The next 2 days are supposed to be a high temperature of 18C (65F)!  I guess our glorious monkey leader GW Bush is right... there's no such thing as global warming. :smth011

That's right. It's a myth invented by people who want to sell more crap to us ;)
Apparently it's gonna snow big time tomorrow (I have a 2 hour drive at 6am :?).
Today, the pavements are lethal. I saw a dog slip over earlier & when I called my cat, he didn't look too steady on his feet either. :roll:
Cheers
Steve