your non-favorites ("respectable" artists only!)

Started by japanesebaby, January 12, 2007, 00:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

"favorite bands beside the cure"... what about the groups on the other end of the scale?
and you'll surely anger someone by saying it all out loud but hey don't be afraid to speak up! ;)
(but let's just not start fighting, this is all supposed to be just some "happy venting" 8))

ok i'll give (and take! ;)) the first beating:

first of all: don't even bother including any "artists" like david hasselhoff or paris hilton etcetc. - i mean, do they really exist after all...? let's only consider somewhat more... hmm dedicated people.

OASIS - also blur, pulp, what-the-heck-their-name-was etcetc..... basically any 90s brit pop group that ever existed. my god that was all so futile. no need to say anything more about it.

SISTERS OF MERCY, bauhaus & any the likes - ok sorry guys, i know a LOT of you will disagree. but... the most pretentious stuff that existed: it's someone growling something on a low voice - "ok thanks, now let's have something else, please show me what else you got?" yes?  hello....?? .....???? there's nothing else than growling... on a low voice - gloomy, uuuh...
it's just so damn boring.

MORRISSEY - sorry again, but he drives me nuts. i admit that i sort of respect him though and i can even listen to some of his stuff  and think it's ok, but i just can't stand the sight of him for one single second. and every time he opens his mouth for an interview something so awfully self-centered pours out that you can't but feel ashamed for him. i feel ashamed and also slighty disgusted, to be honest. and if i ever again see any glimpse of a videoo where he's waving his pelvis and also a bunch of gladioli on some top of the pops singback performance i want to shoot myself...! (or maybe just my TV)

next!  ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

bluewater

I dislike the most a finnish group that most of you luckily don´t know (yup).
And i dislike almost every other finnish rock and pop group also.

I think the worst group of all time is Tangerine dream. One or two nice noisy records
and some 50+ albums of crap.

-bluewatr
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

dsanchez

there are so many "artists" that sucks that It would take me hours to write down everything.

Personally I do HATE "Reggaeton" and all that shitty music related. This includes, but it's not limited to Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, etc. :smth078

I also hate Hip-Hop, Rap and all that crap: Justin Timberlake, Eminem, etc.

Finally, I don't like Placebo (too sad to see them playing together with the best of the planet) and neither Morrissey (seems antipatic to me).

Don't know there's so many garbage out there: Shakira, Thalia, etc.

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on January 12, 2007, 18:39:24
there are so many "artists" that sucks that It would take me hours to write down everything.

Don't know there's so many garbage out there: Shakira, Thalia, etc.

that's what i meant with paris hilton - there's too much crap of course, it would be pointless to try and list it all.
but i can see now that i presented my question in a bit wrong way there/wasn't entirely clear what i meant.

an example: it very often happens that when you say you're a curefan then a lot of people immediately think "oh i see, so you like THAT sort of music, so you're also into that old early 80s goth stuff, ok..." - just like they knew everything immediately. and i'm personally always a bit annoyed that people expect me to like sisters of mercy and bauhaus & all that sort of stuff because i like the cure. but still, it's different than saying 'shakira' is crap. you can say 'shakira is crap' and most people would go 'oh yes' - so you don't have to explain yourself for saying that. (the same goes to all those finnish bands btw...  ;))
so there're loads of artists like that and listing them all here would be just completely uninteresting. but if you say 'morrissey is crap' then it might start a conversation, because obviously you are talking about artists who are not entirely crap after all... but there's just something there that bothers YOU personally too much...
so what i meant was to ask what "respectable" artists you can't stand (and why).
i just thought it might tell something about us individually, just like saying what we do like can do.

[labyrinth]

well, good question :)

i don't like

Rolling Stones: i don't like them , don't like their way to do music neither their way to appear.
Madonna: for obvious things, i don't like her music and her music doesn't like me.that's all :)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (at least in this period) : they were pretty good in the past, but actually they're very very very bad in my opinion.
Zwan : gosh, i was expecting so much from this record that i thought this was "horrible". i'm so sad that the new line-up of Smashing Pumpkins will be, very similar to the Zwan one.
Queen : don't ask me why, i really don't know but i can't listen to their song (except for some) for more than 5 minutes.

:)

strange_day

I cant stand

U2 - same song, different words for their entire career, and so arrogant its embarrassing to watch

Coldplay - the modern dictionary definition of the word BOREDOM

Razorlight - the next U2 in terms of arrogance, and a poor rip off of bob geldof/boomtown rats.....again they send me to sleep

Slayer (and other similar bands) - i actually like these, they bring me to tears of hysterics :smth043

Duran Duran/Spandau Ballet - if i had to choose which one to go and see, id flick a coin and just hope it exploded and killed me....

and there are quite a few more.... :smth045

[labyrinth]

well, i do really not think U2 has ever done one (just one) song similar to another one of their entire catalogue... anyway, that's an opinion, and has to be respected..and i respect it, but i disagree :)

lostflower4

This topic struck some chords in me. For now I'll just comment on some previous replies:

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 12, 2007, 00:36:33
OASIS - also blur, pulp, what-the-heck-their-name-was etcetc..... basically any 90s brit pop group that ever existed. my god that was all so futile. no need to say anything more about it.

SISTERS OF MERCY, bauhaus & any the likes - ok sorry guys, i know a LOT of you will disagree. but... the most pretentious stuff that existed: it's someone growling something on a low voice - "ok thanks, now let's have something else, please show me what else you got?" yes?  hello....?? .....???? there's nothing else than growling... on a low voice - gloomy, uuuh...
it's just so damn boring.

MORRISSEY - sorry again, but he drives me nuts. i admit that i sort of respect him though and i can even listen to some of his stuff  and think it's ok, but i just can't stand the sight of him for one single second. and every time he opens his mouth for an interview something so awfully self-centered pours out that you can't but feel ashamed for him.

I like some of Oasis' stuff. Not all their songs are great, and I certainly don't see how people can be obsessed with them. I heard some live stuff by them, and it was awful...

I couldn't agree more about the Bauhaus/Sisters of Mercy stuff. Ok, so you can grovel in a low voice over some semi-creepy (and mostly boring) music. Ok!  :roll:

I can't standing Morrissey either. Some of his music is ok, there's obviously some talent behind it. Then again, I think it gets irritating quick. And watching him perform is indeed painful.

Quote from: strange_day on January 13, 2007, 16:57:54
U2 - same song, different words for their entire career, and so arrogant its embarrassing to watch

Coldplay - the modern dictionary definition of the word BOREDOM

Slayer (and other similar bands) - i actually like these, they bring me to tears of hysterics :smth043

I agree that U2 is way too full of themselves and sometimes embarrassing to watch, but I still like a lot of their music. As for it all being the same, yes, sometimes â€" they surely repeat themselves more than The Cure does. But there are far worse bands out there!

Coldplay is definitely one of the most boring groups to ever exist...

Maybe Slayer and Sisters of Mercy can team up one day and collaborate on some thrashing, gloomy low-voiced groveling? ;)

Quote from: [labyrinth] on January 13, 2007, 14:15:05Queen : don't ask me why, i really don't know but i can't listen to their song (except for some) for more than 5 minutes.

Better watch what you say here. I know that japanesebaby is a HUGE Queen fan. :smth081

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on January 13, 2007, 18:55:51
Quote from: [labyrinth] on January 13, 2007, 14:15:05Queen : don't ask me why, i really don't know but i can't listen to their song (except for some) for more than 5 minutes.

Better watch what you say here. I know that japanesebaby is a HUGE Queen fan. :smth081

haha hey YOU better watch what YOU say here...  :smth077

i was actually going to add the next three poor candidates soon and queen was/is going to be among those for sure.
the only reason why they didn't make my top 3 was because i still do respect them as musicians somewhat notably more than some completely silly and pretentious people like andrew eldritch etc.
so no, i do not like queen, apart from a couple of songs.

got it?  :lol:

[labyrinth]

japanesebaby

Quote from: [labyrinth] on January 14, 2007, 01:10:04
so..i'm... safe? ? ? ? ?  :-D :-D :-D

yes you're safe what comes to queen but maybe not so safe what comes to RHCP....  :shock: :smth096

;)

about RHCP: actually i never used to be such a big fan until quite recently. but stadium arcadium has pretty much been THE peppers album for me. and they just don't cease to astonish me as musicians - and especially frusciante's been simply awesome!  :rocker
i've seen quite many of their recent gigs on video lately and i have to admit that they've fluctuated a bit what comes to solid performances. some shows haven't been that great at all (maybe because they were having some technical issues on some festival gigs too? i'm not entirely sure). but then some other gigs were just superb, superb, i think.
(i really do regret it that i didn't go over to stockholm to see them play two consecutive nights in december, the last shows on their european tour. but i had to choose whether to go over there or to germany to see muse or to see them, and i chose the latter one. couldn't choose to have both because i simply didn't have enough money to travel... :smth091  but i shouldn't have missed them! )

crowbi_wan

Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Stadium Arcadium are the TWO RHCP albums to own.  Mother's Milk has some excellent cuts, too.  Having seen them twice I can agree that they aren't always the best live.  The first show I saw was okay, but Anthony's vocals were pretty shitty.  The second show was fantastic!  Excellent sound, John and Flea couldn't have sounded better.  Anthony's vocals were on and you could hear John's vocals (something that doesn't always happen).

@ Japanese Baby, Not a fan of Queen?  But you love Muse.  To each their own...

Kind of funny, I typed in Muse on Rhapsody and the results I received for bands a Muse fan might like were Coldplay, U2, Keane, Snow Patrol, Johnny Cash, Placebo, Queensryche, Radiohead, Oasis, and a few others.  They got you pegged  :P 

japanesebaby

well to be honest i never understood the huge connection that people (critics?) tend to see between muse and queen. sure, both aim to certain kind of "epic expression" but i think they are epic in different ways. maybe it's the vocals, just as long as the vocals aim to certain kind of dramaticism and reach a bit higher (without becoming something silly like darkness or without being used in a obvious heavy metal context) then people say "queen!" (?)

(coldplay, queensryche? my *ss....  ;) )

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 14, 2007, 02:50:40
well to be honest i never understood the huge connection that people (critics?) tend to see between muse and queen. sure, both aim to certain kind of "epic expression" but i think they are epic in different ways. maybe it's the vocals, just as long as the vocals aim to certain kind of dramaticism and reach a bit higher (without becoming something silly like darkness or without being used in a obvious heavy metal context) then people say "queen!" (?)

(coldplay, queensryche? my *ss....  ;) )

Hey, Queensrych was the shit back in the day.  Operation Mindcrime is a great album  :rocker  I once drove through a blizzard to see them.  They filmed the live footage for 'Anybody Listening?' after the concert.  Terrible song and even worse video.  It's painful to watch now.    Coldplay mildly interests me.  They have a few songs I can stand. 

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on January 14, 2007, 03:04:43
Hey, Queensrych was the shit back in the day.  Operation Mindcrime is a great album  :rocker  I once drove through a blizzard to see them.  They filmed the live footage for 'Anybody Listening?' after the concert.  Terrible song and even worse video.  It's painful to watch now.    Coldplay mildly interests me.  They have a few songs I can stand. 

yes i meant queensryche today.... and believe it or not, back in the old days when metal bands were the top shit i used to love operation mindcrime, i remember i had bought a cassette tape which i used to play over and over again until the tape died... and then i had to go and buy a new one and this time i was wise and bought a cd version...  :smth082

to me coldplay is quite meaningless band, i think one U2 is enough and so i don't get it why some people think so highly of them. but maybe i just don't care about them that much so they don't exactly irritate me either.

but if i may, about those runner-ups i mentioned earlier:

QUEEN - i just don't get it, there's something that's musically totally strange to me. and most of the time i think it's just plain tiresome too. very good musicianship there for sure but....  :?

ABBA - well, that is if it counts here. i just can't stand most of it, whether it's being played as originals or covers. i was recently watching a video from a U2 zoo TV tour gig from stockholm '92 and they had the two abba dudes appearing as special guests (of course because they were in sweden) and they did 'dancing queen'. god that was so embarrassing somehow...

uh i had the third one but i forgot it, maybe i don't hate it anough then...
but well it's someone else's turn anyway...