Doubt about R.Smith

Started by stefano, June 24, 2016, 16:33:13

Previous topic - Next topic

stefano

How could he reconcile his career in The Cure and  Siouxsie...?

Ulrich

Hm, "reconcile" is a difficult word for me to get what exactly you're asking here.

I guess you mean "how did he manage to play in 2 bands at the 'same' time?"...

If that's the question: we don't know exactly of course, but we can look at books, interviews etc.!
First of all: in 1982, when he re-joined the Banshees (after a short stint in '79), The Cure was "finished" (for a while at least): Simon had left, Robert and Lol recorded the "pop" single "Let's go to bed", but apart from that there was no Cure activity. After touring with Siouxsie & the Banshees for a while, he revived the Cure with Lol and recorded "The Walk", later he got a touring band together (which recorded "Love Cats" too), but there were no "big" tours as far as I know. Later on, it got more "stressful" for him, I guess, because he recorded albums with both the Cure and the Banshees! After this, he was supposed to tour with both bands... his body reacted and he felt sick, so he went to see his doctor, who told him he needed a rest, but he finished the Cure tour and told the Banshees that he had to leave... (this was about 2 weeks prior to a planned tour).
Robert: "After all, I'd given them two weeks' notice, which was longer than any guitarist had given them before!"
(Info gathered from the book "Ten Imaginary Years" and various articles.)

You wanna know more, look here in this topic:
http://curefans.com/solo-projects/siouxsie-the-banshees-(feat-robert-smith)/
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

stefano

Quote from: Ulrich on June 24, 2016, 17:38:37
Hm, "reconcile" is a difficult word for me to get what exactly you're asking here.

I guess you mean "how did he manage to play in 2 bands at the 'same' time?"...

If that's the question: we don't know exactly of course, but we can look at books, interviews etc.!
First of all: in 1982, when he re-joined the Banshees (after a short stint in '79), The Cure was "finished" (for a while at least): Simon had left, Robert and Lol recorded the "pop" single "Let's go to bed", but apart from that there was no Cure activity. After touring with Siouxsie & the Banshees for a while, he revived the Cure with Lol and recorded "The Walk", later he got a touring band together (which recorded "Love Cats" too), but there were no "big" tours as far as I know. Later on, it got more "stressful" for him, I guess, because he recorded albums with both the Cure and the Banshees! After this, he was supposed to tour with both bands... his body reacted and he felt sick, so he went to see his doctor, who told him he needed a rest, but he finished the Cure tour and told the Banshees that he had to leave... (this was about 2 weeks prior to a planned tour).
Robert: "After all, I'd given them two weeks' notice, which was longer than any guitarist had given them before!"
(Info gathered from the book "Ten Imaginary Years" and various articles.)

You wanna know more, look here in this topic:
http://curefans.com/solo-projects/siouxsie-the-banshees-(feat-robert-smith)/
thanks for the info, dude !