The noisiest songs you know!

Started by SueC, May 07, 2020, 02:42:18

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

Quote from: chemicaloverload on May 10, 2020, 21:45:35and I left the whole album on....you are wrong, fucked, and overrated, I think I'm gonna be sick and it's your fault...this is the end of everything, you are the end of everything.

Ahhhh... I miss being 14 :)

I have a theory about people:

You see?  It's all still there, inside of you.  The infant is that tiny bubble right at the centre, then you've got age one, age two, age three etc... and age 14, age 18, age 25, you name it.  They're all still part of you, and you can access each and every one of them if you go looking.

And each year you add on another layer, until you become this wise old Ent!

PS:  When I grow up, I'm going to be an Entomologist!   :beaming-face  :angel
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

Atari Teenage Riot certainly released some very noisy (entirely electronic) songs.
I think they split? I haven't heard from them or their leader Alec Empire for very long...

piggymirror

I think Kim Gordon once described this song as "our top, we can't go any further than that, noise-wise". Looks likely.
Although I've never watched this being played live, it is certainly one of their hardest, and anyone who has watched them play knows they are noisy indeed.

Matti

Quote from: SueC on May 12, 2020, 01:23:51Disclaimer:  I know absolutely nothing about this band.

You should work on that. Apparently Robert was heavily influenced by Mogwai when Bloodflowers was recorded.

Other than that, I'm not sure about Your interpretations. Actually, My Father My King is based on Avinu Malkeinu, a Jewish prayer.

Some comments on Tool - say hello to Brett and immerse yourself in that album (and Fear Inoculum, for that matter). If the sound is not your cup of tea, there's also some string quartet tribute collections floating around.

If You're into in numbers, pay close attention to Lateralis. Fibonacci would have loved it.  ;)

And I quite liked that tree image/theory.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

SueC

Quote from: Matti on May 14, 2020, 23:03:32
Quote from: SueC on May 12, 2020, 01:23:51Disclaimer:  I know absolutely nothing about this band.

You should work on that. Apparently Robert was heavily influenced by Mogwai when Bloodflowers was recorded.

I'm actually not so obsessed by music, or even music I like, that I feel the need to follow everything down its rabbit hole of influences!  :)   Life is so short, and I have so many other things to do that take precedence to this.

QuoteOther than that, I'm not sure about Your interpretations. Actually, My Father My King is based on Avinu Malkeinu, a Jewish prayer.

That's interesting to know, thank you.  :cool

"Your interpretations"?  There's a big difference between an interpretation and a flagged possibility.  Everyone responds in their own way, based on their own experiences and ways of thinking and feeling, to various texts they encounter.  This is why I never think I have an ultimate interpretation - much as I enjoy speculating.  I am very aware that all my speculations are tinted by the spectacles of my own prior experiences and my own (current) entity, as are everyone's.  The beauty about discussing music with others is that you then get to glimpse it through their various tints of experiential and personal spectacles as well (see one of my favourite poems below). 

And sometimes you even get someone digging up what it meant to the writer! :)  That's always really helpful.

THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT
John Godfrey Saxe

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me!—but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: "Ho!—what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 't is mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'T is clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

..and if these learned men had all talked to each other and created a synthesis instead of arguing like this, then they would actually have had the opportunity to come far closer to the reality than each could on their own, and learnt so much in the process... :heart-eyes

QuoteSome comments on Tool - say hello to Brett and immerse yourself in that album (and Fear Inoculum, for that matter). If the sound is not your cup of tea, there's also some string quartet tribute collections floating around.

If You're into in numbers, pay close attention to Lateralis. Fibonacci would have loved it.  ;)

Haha, that sounds intriguing.   :cool

The capital Ys, not so much I'm afraid.   :P

I might give this album a spin, but it has plenty of competition.  The fact that my husband likes it will make it more likely than if it were a noisy album he didn't though - since it then also becomes an exercise in getting to know him better, which with a spouse, is always worth doing! :)

QuoteAnd I quite liked that tree image/theory.

Nature can teach us a lot of things too.   :cool   

Loooooook.... :heart-eyes

Have a decent day!  :)

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on May 15, 2020, 05:04:00I'm actually not so obsessed by music, or even music I like, that I feel the need to follow everything down its rabbit hole of influences!  :)   Life is so short, and I have so many other things to do that take precedence to this.

That is okay, of course. But you should still check out Mogwai, simply because they are a great band. I saw them live several times (first time at Hyde Park, on a bill with The Cure, Cranes and others)! I was far from stage, still they were very loud.
Saw them again in 2004, 2006 (I think) and 2011, each gig was special. (In 2004, from what I remember "My Father My King" was the encore and mind-blowing.)

Here's another noisy one of theirs:

(Gotta say, I prefer the "darker", quieter ones mostly - or those which start off quiet and then slowly grow into "noise".)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

OK, @Matti and @Ulrich, I'll put it on my list!  :)

Maybe I can multi-task it with boring computer work.  Why don't you two throw some more of their songs you like best on the Currently Listening thread?  Noisy or not.  :angel
SueC is time travelling

SueC

OK, this song really should be on the "noisy" list - and I do enjoy this one... :angel

C'mon, @Ulrich, how about you play an outrageously loud punk rock number?  :)

Like maybe the loudest thing you know from The Damned?
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on May 29, 2020, 08:10:56Like maybe the loudest thing you know from The Damned?

Well, there's always this one (the title screams to be used in this topic):

Ulrich

The Cure at their noisiest (and shortest!); apparently they sent this version to the record company for a compilation album (before sending the "real" version later) and they had the good humour to include this too...

piggymirror

SueC

OK, only the second half of this is noisy, but it's a nice morning for it.

:heart-eyes  :cool

Quote from: Ulrich on June 03, 2020, 09:42:43The Cure at their noisiest (and shortest!); apparently they sent this version to the record company for a compilation album (before sending the "real" version later) and they had the good humour to include this too...

...and that's my favourite version of their covers of this, or anyone's covers, or the original!   :evil:  :1f632:  :-D  :angel

Nice guitar feedback there, @piggymirror:)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Certainly topical these days... "you're wearing a mask"!  :1f637:

SueC

@Ulrich, is that a picture of Iggy Pop after he played guitar on that album?  :angel  ...and did he have to bandage his elbow because he missed (perhaps not wearing his glasses), or used a large-gauge needle like you would for equine anaesthesia?  :winking_tongue  :evil:

This song would be hilarious as a cross-artist B-side for the following song, which is not noisy...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

John Farnham and now Fleetwood Mac... say no more.  :1f634: