Author Topic: Currently Listening to  (Read 214960 times)

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
Re: Currently Listening to
« Reply #2025 on: April 06, 2017, 14:07:52 »
but memory's not life... and it's not love.

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2026 on: April 12, 2017, 11:25:07 »
20 years ago - still a great song (& great bass by Hooky)

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2027 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:10 »

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2028 on: April 21, 2017, 13:26:23 »
It's not only Robert's birthday, but also Iggy Pop celebrating his 70th today. Here's one of his most famous songs covered by Siouxsie & Co.!

Online dsanchez

• Administrator
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2029 on: April 21, 2017, 14:15:58 »
A cover from Eternal by Slowdive

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me...

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2030 on: April 21, 2017, 16:00:34 »

Online tzare

• Beginner
  • Doing the unstuck!
« Reply #2031 on: April 24, 2017, 15:46:17 »

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2032 on: April 25, 2017, 18:51:51 »
Underrated album by The Cranes:

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2033 on: May 15, 2017, 17:12:37 »
New Mogwai album coming in September. I think I can hear a few Cure influences here on this track:

Online tzare

• Beginner
  • Doing the unstuck!
« Reply #2034 on: May 17, 2017, 14:11:21 »
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes, but never enjoyed them. Will try again.

Currently listening to The Sounds:

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2035 on: May 17, 2017, 17:02:48 »
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...

Online tzare

• Beginner
  • Doing the unstuck!
« Reply #2036 on: May 19, 2017, 10:56:49 »
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...
i know , but i still try...
i thought that , i like what Robert (and the rest) do, so maybe i could also enjoy what inspires them. But no luck so far  :P
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2037 on: May 19, 2017, 19:04:15 »
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Not being open is not good (in my humble opinion). I've listened to all kinds of stuff from rock to classic (including sitting through 4-hour-operas).

"Pop" is not a bad thing - I'm sure you'll find Robert listened to pop songs as well. For example, I remember The Cure had the singer from Republica (Saffron) doing guest vocals on "Just Say Yes".
Also I found this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-the-cures-robert-smith-on-his-musical-influences-20040708
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

What else did you listen to as a kid?
When punk came along, I found my generation's music. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, 'cause that was what got played in the house. But when I first saw the Stranglers, I thought, "This is it." And I saw the Buzzcocks the following week, and I thought, "This is definitely it."

Offline -:- Elle Lie -:-

• Beginner
« Reply #2038 on: May 20, 2017, 00:22:29 »
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

"The Velvet Rope" album is excellent. I also listened a lot to "Rhythm Nation 1814" album. But afterwards, it's a matter of taste. Music is above all a feeling. Being open to other styles of music does not make us "bad people". You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !  :)

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #2039 on: May 20, 2017, 10:58:14 »
You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !

Well you can, but I would not recommend it!  :lol:
Never liked Manson (and that includes Charles M. too), then I hear things like he left stage after 20 mins at a headlining show.  :smth011

I'd rather listen to:
https://duncanreidandthebigheads.bandcamp.com/album/bombs-away