The Cure - Live in Japan 1984 - DVD

Started by B.DEE, December 06, 2008, 00:37:36

Previous topic - Next topic

B.DEE

I'm selling my other copy of the Japan 1984 DVD.
Have a look ...

link removed by the staff - unofficial release
Constantly talking is not necessarily communicating.

japanesebaby

sorry B.DEE but this must be some sort of bootleg copy so we need to remove the link.
you can only buy/sell officially released stuff here.

live in japan 1984 has not been officially released on dvd, all dvd versions are bootlegged vhs>dvd transfers.
this was only released on vhs by toshiba (in japan) and it has been deleted since:
http://www.impressionofsounds.com/videogr/vid-liveinjapan.html

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

B.DEE

Hmm. Ok. Sorry. I guess I misunderstood what "unofficial" meant.
I was under the impression you meant official being any releases from record labels that The Cure had a contract with.
I'm not sure what the "official" difference between the original VHS tape (a bootleg of the Japanese TV broadcast) and this DVD is ... but again, if you say so.

nausearockpig

what Japanesebaby means is that it would be ok to sell a version of the Toshiba VHS release but a copy of that made to DVD would not be OK.

japanesebaby

Quote from: B.DEE on December 06, 2008, 01:32:17
I'm not sure what the "official" difference between the original VHS tape (a bootleg of the Japanese TV broadcast) and this DVD is

i'm not sure what you mean. the difference is very clear because the official vhs tape of 'live in japan' is NOT a bootleg.

it is an official cure release, this is well-known.

for instance, from darren butler's 'cure on record' discography book(see attached scan too):

It was a Japanese prodcution released exclusively in Japan by Toshiba in 1985 and not by VAP label. This in fact was the first ever official live video of The Cure...

"not by VAP label" simply makes a notice of the fact that all other Cure releases had been released in japan under a lable called VAP.
i'm not sure if you thought that since this is released by toshiba, it must be a bootleg because the cure never had a contract with toshiba(?). sure, their contract was with fiction in the UK, but that doesn't mean everything all around the world is released under fiction labels only. it completely depends. you have VAP or toshiba in japan, metronome in early german releases, stunn in australia and new zealand, so on and so on. so it depends.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: nausearockpig on December 06, 2008, 07:39:40
what Japanesebaby means is that it would be ok to sell a version of the Toshiba VHS release but a copy of that made to DVD would not be OK.

That's right.

And although it's not exactly related to this post, one should also be wary of official VHS > bootleg VHS copies that look similar to the original. There used to be lots of these going around, too.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on December 06, 2008, 09:27:28
Quote from: nausearockpig on December 06, 2008, 07:39:40

That's right.

And although it's not exactly related to this post, one should also be wary of official VHS > bootleg VHS copies that look similar to the original. There used to be lots of these going around, too.

Yep, I have one of those official VHS > bootleg VHS copies with a purple cover.  Found it in a head shop in their "import" section back in '96.  Import my ass  :lol: 

curevideo

Hi,

that is pretty annoying as the DVD you talk about has been done by me and my friend. Years ago I bought the nice original VHS and in 2003 we have transferred it to DVD.

So please, don´t sell it. It was meant for trading and you find it on all trader´s lists plus - correct me if I am wrong - also on Dime.

Cheers,
S.

curevideo

looking back now we shouldn´t have copied the dvd for trade, as it is an official relase...however - knowing that a lot of curefans had shit 3rd or 4th copy versions of it we thought it´s worthwile doing so....lesson learnt:-((

B.DEE

Quote from: curevideo on January 09, 2009, 10:44:11
Hi,

that is pretty annoying as the DVD you talk about has been done by me and my friend. Years ago I bought the nice original VHS and in 2003 we have transferred it to DVD.

So please, don´t sell it. It was meant for trading and you find it on all trader´s lists plus - correct me if I am wrong - also on Dime.

Cheers,
S.

I bought it at Repo Records on South Street in Philadelphia. One of the only true "indie" record stores left in the city.
I'm sorry you think you had anything to do with this ... you didn't.
Apparently you're not the only one with technology and hardware to accomplish this kind of transfer.

curevideo

I bought it at Repo Records on South Street in Philadelphia. One of the only true "indie" record stores left in the city.
I'm sorry you think you had anything to do with this ... you didn't.
Apparently you're not the only one with technology and hardware to accomplish this kind of transfer.
[/quote]

...sorry for my reply then. Maybe my ego was pushing here to much:-) Anyway we "just" produced the dvd...no cover, etc.:-)...
Cheers,
S.

lostflower4

I made a high-bitrate/lossless audio DVD transfer from my very nice original VHS version about three years ago, and also traded it with several people. And I'm sure some of these people traded it, so it's certainly out there.

I don't feel bad about trading it, as there are currently few alternatives for people to get a proper copy of this. Obviously, selling it is a completely different thing...

Ulrich

Quote from: lostflower4 on January 12, 2009, 09:19:11
I don't feel bad about trading it, as there are currently few alternatives for people to get a proper copy of this.

It's on youtube now (uploaded by A.Anderson!), let's see for how long...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqxwFyTywI

http://www.post-punk.com/watch-the-out-of-print-1984-cure-concert-film-live-in-japan/
Live in Japan documents the October 17th, 1984, performance in Tokyo and received a release the following year in Japan on VHS and Betamax.

The Japanese concert film was not widely available in the US and has never been released on DVD. A used copy chas been known to cost over $499 via Discogs. For those not flush with cash, the film had been frustratingly removed from YouTube several times. Now, however, it has been uploaded by none other than drummer Andy Anderson, who was a member of The Cure during the filming of this concert.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...