michigan (usa) fan of about 25 years says hello

Started by subarucure, June 11, 2015, 21:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

subarucure

(any Cure fan)
hello, my name is andrew from midland, michigan usa.  i have been a fan since around '89, not quite sure.  i was probably listening to hard rock/metal at the time and we picked up my brother and he said ''you gotta hear this''. he stole a cassette tape of 'kiss me' from a party and i was like.... ''is he TRYING to sound like shit?  how did these guys even get a record deal?'' well he played it in front of me a few times and we were at work together and we were playing it out load and i was walking along and Robert was singing that part of 'all i want'..... you know the part, and i stopped dead in my tracks with chills and it was like a real Epiphany like moment.  i saw/heard The Cure in a whole new light and was very intrigued by this new approach to music.  i then bought my own copy but in cd form (WHAT!! no 'hey you!?!?)  well i listened to that night and day as loud as i could when i could for about a month and although i wasnt exactly sick of it, i thought to myself i HAVE GOT to see what else they have to offer.  i want to say the next one was Disintegration or Staring at the sea. i think i only liked about half of disintegration at first probably because i loved kiss me so much and was expecting more and D was so different, but i had to learn how to except (and appreciate) it for what it was. (i credit the cure for retraining me HOW to listen to music and expanding my tastes/genres.) then the buying of their back catalog began and i would go back and forth on a newer one and then an older one until i had them all.  then the cd-singles and bootlegs.  i didnt even know what Robert looked like until i got the VHS of 'show'.  yes i had D but wasnt sure who/what was on the cover.  no other artwork showed him/them, i had no cable or internet..... sooooo that was a surprise! lol.  i now have pretty much everything but the rarest of older tracks and maybe a few newer solo/collaborations.  more than most i am sure.  probably spent close to $2k on them.  i have seen them 3 times, '96-2000-2004.... missed them a few times since then. i have gravitated back to metal as of late but have always said they are my favorite most respected band/artist. 4 of us spent $200 each per ticket for the blood flowers tour, my friend Sabrina started to cry as the actual concert started.... it was her first time.

i am known as THECURELOST13 on youtube where it used to be a predominantly cure page/channel.... they made me remove quite a bit of my cure postings which included the 2004 demos with lyrics that i had worked pretty hard on and just got fed up and disillusioned with YT in general.  they said ''The Cure'' themselves asked me to take them down and were talking lawyers and legal sl-l!t and i was like ''to hell with it''.  i may redo the channel again if they ever release more material.  then again YT took up a lot of my time before and i have gotten used to not being chained to it.

i dont have a cell phone, no idea how to text and i refuse to use facebook or twitter so please dont ask, i have no intentions to start now and yes, i know i am the only one left on the planet.

i have rarely listened to The Cure since 4:13 dream came out and am starting to re-immerse myself again, a place like this can really help with that.  love to all, Andrew.

Ulrich

Welcome to the forum!

Quote from: subarucure on June 11, 2015, 21:32:53
... they made me remove quite a bit of my cure postings which included the 2004 demos with lyrics that i had worked pretty hard on and just got fed up and disillusioned with YT in general.  they said ''The Cure'' themselves asked me to take them down and were talking lawyers and legal sl-l!t and i was like ''to hell with it''.

My guess is that it wasn't The Cure themselves, but one of their record companies - in 2004 they were signed to Universal via Ross Robinson's label; as far as I know UMG/Universal are often behind YT "clearings" when it comes to bands signed on their label(s)...  :roll:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

subarucure

thank you for the welcome Ulrich.... it is nice to be in a community type setting as cure fans, especially big cure fans are rare in my area.  i dont know if i still have that YT email or not but remember it seemed or felt like it was through a 3rd party but at the request of Robert or the band themselves.  i was getting 'strikes' all of a sudden from not taking things down, so instead of losing everything i deleted the biggest offenders. their layout changed around that time and was hard to navigate and was hard to decorate as well.  ended up just giving up on it.

Ulrich

Quote from: subarucure on June 16, 2015, 01:45:49
... remember it seemed or felt like it was through a 3rd party but at the request of Robert or the band themselves.

Even if it was, it is of course their copyright on their tracks/songs, so...

Be careful out there!  ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...