10:15 saturday MORNING??

Started by japanesebaby, January 07, 2007, 16:32:07

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

ok it's a silly topic sure but someone just reminded me about this so:

10:15 saturday night

of course i'm totally aware of the different standards of how to tell the time here.
my point is i just can't help it that the initial association this expression always gives still remains to be somehow confusing, everytime i hear it. because 10.15 (or 10:15) only qualifies for morning...
i mean, it should be either
'10:15 saturday MORNING' or '22.15 saturday night'!
but '10:15 saturday night'?

you know it's really buggging me at times! maybe they could change is for me in the future pressings?  :lol:

(drip-drip-drip-drip-drip - hey no wonder it's causing certain anxiety there, he must have been totally disoriented and lost all track of time! :roll:)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

(Keep in mind that I'm American) Is England on the 24hr time format? Or do they do the 12hr way like the US? Is ALL of Europe on the 24hr time format? :?
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

it looks like at least england hasn't grasped the 24 hour format just yet...  :roll: :-D

by the way, i just realized that it is actually more nuanced after all:
(to me) it would still be totally natural to say "ten fifteen saturday night". it doesn't turn contradictory until you write it down. so you can of course say "ten fifteen" and mean evening time but once it gets written down it more or less should be "22.15".
so i should have said it's confusing whenever i SEE it, not whenever i HEAR it.

Dillinger

im british and i can tell you on behalf of both the cure and the nation that it is perfectly acceptable to say 10:15. infact its alot more common to say that then 22:15

japanesebaby

Quote from: farquad92 on January 08, 2007, 09:21:23
im british and i can tell you on behalf of both the cure and the nation that it is perfectly acceptable to say 10:15. infact its alot more common to say that then 22:15

hey OF COURSE it's perfectly acceptable everyone knows that and i'm well aware that it's a lot more common to say 10:15 in britain. but well, i'm not in/from britain... and i suppose that was the whole silly point of this topic... which obviously means there was no point... i suppose i basically just wanted to tell you that everytime i see that it it's makes me think "why the heck are they talking about morning in the title when everyone knows it's supposed to be about evening?" 
oh just forget it then! ;)