FREE MUSIC LAUNCH

Started by melly, January 27, 2008, 06:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Wasn't sure where to post this, so chose "something else"...this is from our Sunday paper... "Death knell for cd's"...A revolutionary online music service offering free song downloads will launch today (Sunday 27th.Jan). Qtrax, a file sharing site funded by advertisers and backed by the pop industry, will initially boast a five million catalogue, similar to iTunes. It's melbourne (Australia) pioneer said the plan is to eventaully deliver about 25 million songs to music lovers. The site is predicted to sound the death knell for cds and a massive challenge to iTunes. Major recording companies, which have traditionally sued file sharing or P2P sites, support Qtrax, who have licensing agreements with EMI, SonyBMG, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group. Qtrax would compensate artists; recording companies will get an equal split of advertising revenue and royalty fees it collects from Qtrax. Artists and record labels were supporting Qtrax to stem a losing fight against "stolen" music.
As the site expands, it will include rare, unreleased and live concert recordings. Punters will be able to access free music after the launch at www.qtrax.com.

I cut down the article a bit, a lot of it wasn't really relevant...but hey, sounds as though they have finally woken up; people, inspite of still paying to go to concerts, buy merchandise etc., will download the music! Hope it's a "good 'un"!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

scatcat

sounds interesting.. I didn't bother to get the paper today.

launches today? the only thing that makes me wonder is the 'file sharing' site bit. I hope there is no adware involved!  :evil:
I'll check it out, thanks melly!!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

well, checked it out.

-unlimited downloads
-no adware,spyware,spoofing
-free Peer-2-Peer
-no cost to download and use the software, no hidden costs such as membership, or per-song costs.

sounds too good!!

also, the Band pages have features such as album artwork.!!  :smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

melly

Ripper Rita!! oops...aussie talk heh heh... well, the guy who has been working on it for 8 years, Allen Klepfisz, has promised it will be "revolutionary"... I'm going in to have a look too!!
yaayyy..
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

scatcat

i signed up , so that i could be notified once up and running  :smth023

here's hoping it will deliver the goods.

if universal are in, then just maybe this is where the new Cure album might be available ??  ;)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

:smth069

just checked back on the website.. looks like quite a few glitches now... maybe it won't go ahead just yet? 
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

sounds very interesting....

unfortunately i can't even get the site home page loaded on my browser so i can't see what it is. maybe the server's just overloaded because everyone is trying to view it at the same time or something. but i'll try later.
anyway, very interesting development, finally... although i really hope it's not going to be just mp3s...(?)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 27, 2008, 10:45:19
sounds very interesting....

unfortunately i can't even get the site home page loaded on my browser so i can't see what it is. maybe the server's just overloaded because everyone is trying to view it at the same time or something. but i'll try later.
anyway, very interesting development, finally... although i really hope it's not going to be just mp3s...(?)

Or AAC's   :roll:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

oh crap, it's windows only  :evil:

*EDIT: ok, forgiven since they are working on it: "Qtrax beta for Mac OS X available March 18!"
so we're waiting..

waiting - for the day when I will crawl away...

japanesebaby

just browsed the web a bit and read how they were supposed to launch last october, then june before that, and originally a year ago. so it's been delayed a lot, a lot of people have been waiting for a long time - but it's finally launching now?

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 27, 2008, 10:52:39
oh crap, it's windows only  :evil:

i just noticed this info too.. but there is no mention of what format.. I'm guessing it will probably crappy mp3, or maybe wma ?  :?
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

The stuff I can dig up on it quotes "windows media formats" & something called MPQ, which is only playable on the qtrax player (although I guess some 10 yr old will have that cracked in a few minutes).

Only thing is the stuff I've read is quite old, so it may all be different now.
So, if any of our Ozzy friends can fill us in on the avaialable formats, would be much appreciated.

:-D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

Quote from: scatcat on January 27, 2008, 10:59:46
but there is no mention of what format.. I'm guessing it will probably crappy mp3, or maybe wma ?  :?

just trying to think of some goods sides... even if it were mp3s/other lossy formats, legalized p2p site like this should have a lot of effect on things in a long run. other sites would probably spring up and so on and so on. so in any case i see this as a good sign that the record companies are finally accepting the inevitable (=their defeat against p2p) and starting to wake up and getting off they lazy asses and do something...
another good thing is that if it's got to be lossy formats only, then it's great that it's free - because i never ever understood how anyone would pay for some mp3s anyway! and itunes just can't continue rip people off forever so i'd be happy to see it go down... :roll:

although all that advertising that's bound to be there in order to kepp it running, it's bound to drive anyone insane within 10 minutes i'm sure haha.
oh well, one can't get everything these days, i'm afraid.  :?

iwannashagsimon

Well...I signed up for launch update.  Seems interesting and fairly easy to use.  We'll just have to see once it's launched.

scatcat

excellent!! If I encounter any probs, I'll give ya a shout out!!  :smth100

Considering the launch was supposed to be today.. I really think there is a delay, maybe either technical or legal? As J.B. said, apparently this project has been trying to get lift off for awhile, so who knows?  :roll:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life