THE HEAD ON THE DOOR 30th anniversary

Started by Ulrich, August 25, 2015, 14:38:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Already celebrating its 30th anniversary this month, let's hear it for "The Head On The Door"!  :smth023
First album I bought by The Cure and still one of my favourites.

http://www.rhino.com/article/happy-30th-the-cure-the-head-on-the-door

http://thequietus.com/articles/18610-the-cure-head-on-the-door-review
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Matti

Quote from: Ulrich on August 25, 2015, 14:38:41
First album I bought by The Cure and still one of my favourites.

Sort of same for me, except that I didn't buy it, but discovered it on an unlabelled tape I'd nicked from my parents' friends because I thought it was mine. Played it over and over, being fascinated by the rather unusual sound.

I think it's always been overshadowed by Kiss Me and Disintegration, but when you give it a close listen, it's definitely a great album. Not only for the songs, but also sound-wise, something a lot of 80s records are flawed by.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

Quote from: Matti on August 25, 2015, 18:28:44
Sort of same for me, except that I didn't buy it, but discovered it on an unlabelled tape I'd nicked from my parents' friends because I thought it was mine.

It may seem like a stupid question: as it was "unlabelled", how did you find out it was The Cure?

Matti

I recognized that voice and that guitar sound (or at least what I thought was a guitar), simple as that. It must have beeen somewhere around 1990, and I had another tape with Never Enough, and there also was an inerasable memory of Lullaby - pretty easy.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ulrich

Ah ok, so it wasn't your first introduction to the band. Then it's easy of course.  :)