which vhs has some prayer tour on it ?

Started by camus, May 28, 2008, 22:27:07

Previous topic - Next topic

camus

I have read a long ago that there is something from the prayer tour on a cure video
is it play out ?

Janko

Huh, I'm no authority but I don't think there's anything from 1989 on VHS or else...
Everything on Play Out is from 1991.
Ah...
I'm a joke!

:-D

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Bloodflower

I believe there's a bit of footage from '89 on Play Out. I don't have a copy, so I can't confirm, but if Plainsong is to be believed....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

no it's not on 'play out', like janko said 'play out' is from 1991, entirely.

instead, 'picture show' has some brief '89 footage, just look into the snippets in between the promos. between 'lullaby' and 'fascination street' there's some backstage footage from los angeles dodger stadium '89, followed by a clip from 'plainsong' (seen from "soundboard cam" point of view).

btw just noticed this today:
i always assumed the 'plainsong' bit was from dodger stadium too, simply because the backstage footage is. yet here:
http://www.impressionofsounds.com/videogr/vid-pictureshow.html
it says that 'plainsong' comes from new york (i never made the comparison myself though so i'm just repeating what it says over there). 
anyway i wonder what venue "new york" should stand for since prayer tour didn't make an exact stop in new york. east rutherford maybe(??).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

Ah! Picture Show! That's what I meant. I'm mixing things up. Getting old?

I guess we can infer that all of Dodger Stadium '89 was taped. It's a shame that the shows that we know/believe were taped are American; Europe had infinitely more interesting setlists in 1989. Though Mansfield to end the tour wasn't pretty terrific.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Descent

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 31, 2008, 08:37:36
i always assumed the 'plainsong' bit was from dodger stadium too, simply because the backstage footage is. yet here:
it says that 'plainsong' comes from new york (i never made the comparison myself though so i'm just repeating what it says over there). 
anyway i wonder what venue "new york" should stand for since prayer tour didn't make an exact stop in new york. east rutherford maybe(??).

I got the info from Robert Smith in a curenews issue (and yes, it's Giants Stadium in E.Rutherford).

camus

how much of plainsong do you see ?   a minute or more ?

japanesebaby

Quote from: camus on June 05, 2008, 10:52:38

it's been a while since i watched that but i think less, it's just a little clip really.
and the footage comes from a so-called soundboard camera (a camera that was set up at the mixing desk) which means there are no close-ups or anything.

Quote from: Descent on June 04, 2008, 08:30:56

I got the info from Robert Smith in a curenews issue (and yes, it's Giants Stadium in E.Rutherford).

aha. you see i've just always wondered this because the song is already playing over the backstage footage/"the band getting on stage" footage and i think that comes from dodger staium because you can actually hear perry saying so there. but then, as we cut to the live footage we're in east rutherford.
so i suppose there is no audio from dodger stadium at all but the audio comes entirely from east rutherford, and perry's comment (about "we're in dodger stadium") has just been inserted there over the east rutherford audio.
(ok it's a small and meaningless detail anyway, i know. i just always thought the whole thing was from dodger stadium, because of that.)

largeststarintheuniverse

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 12, 2008, 20:28:44
Quote from: camus on June 05, 2008, 10:52:38

it's been a while since i watched that but i think less, it's just a little clip really.
and the footage comes from a so-called soundboard camera (a camera that was set up at the mixing desk) which means there are no close-ups or anything.

aha. you see i've just always wondered this because the song is already playing over the backstage footage/"the band getting on stage" footage and i think that comes from dodger staium because you can actually hear perry saying so there. but then, as we cut to the live footage we're in east rutherford.
so i suppose there is no audio from dodger stadium at all but the audio comes entirely from east rutherford, and perry's comment (about "we're in dodger stadium") has just been inserted there over the east rutherford audio.
(ok it's a small and meaningless detail anyway, i know. i just always thought the whole thing was from dodger stadium, because of that.)

There is 2 or 3 shots in that piece of footage on the Picture Show video from beside the stage, so it's not just the camera from the mixing desk.

largeststarintheuniverse

I have read there are a few shows from The Prayer Tour which were video recorded from the desk, Dodger Stadium, Giants Stadium in East Rutherford and more.
Did Robert say in curenews that the Picture Show footage was from Giants Stadium-East Rutherford?, or did he just say Giants Stadium-East Rutherford was video recorded from the desk?, therefore you are drawing the conclusion yourself the footage must be from Giants Stadium-East Rutherford?
It would be interesting to know if Robert specified that the actual footage on the Picture Show video was from Giants Stadium-East Rutherford.

I take it though that you just cut and paste that info at the link from the curenews magazine?

Interesting stuff!

japanesebaby

Quote from: largeststarintheuniverse on August 14, 2008, 17:37:23
There is 2 or 3 shots in that piece of footage on the Picture Show video from beside the stage, so it's not just the camera from the mixing desk.

yes, i think that has already been stated in the thread above: there is backstage footage and mixing desk camera footage.
(and if these actually come from different venues, if the mixing desk footage comes from different venue than the backstage footage, i wonder how the audio is mixed? i suppose it's east rutherford audio all the time with only that comment from perry (from LA) added into it? or?)

Quote from: largeststarintheuniverse on August 14, 2008, 17:39:52
Did Robert say in curenews that the Picture Show footage was from Giants Stadium-East Rutherford?, or did he just say Giants Stadium-East Rutherford was video recorded from the desk?, therefore you are drawing the conclusion yourself the footage must be from Giants Stadium-East Rutherford?

hmm a good question.
i haven't read that curenews passage myself so i don't know how it's worded there.

actually i have always assumed that the backstage footage & mixing desk footage simply do come from the same show, because i'd find it really weird that they would have cut&paste footage from two different venues like that. i can't prove anything but it somehow just makes no sense to me, that they'd cut&paste it like that. the insert is clearly supposed to give a glimpse from giants stadium , LA (see perry's comment there etc.). so why would they suddenly use live footage from east rutherford? makes no sense - especially since i don't doubt it that they very well do/did have similar mixing desk footage from LA too...

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 14, 2008, 17:41:33

yes, i think that has already been stated in the thread above: there is backstage footage and mixing desk camera footage.
(and if these actually come from different venues, if the mixing desk footage comes from different venue than the backstage footage, i wonder how the audio is mixed? i suppose it's east rutherford audio all the time with only that comment from perry (from LA) added into it? or?)

hmm a good question.
i haven't read that curenews passage myself so i don't know how it's worded there.

actually i have always assumed that the backstage footage & mixing desk footage simply do come from the same show, because i find it really weird that they'd cut and paste footage from two different venues like that. i can't prove anything but it somehow just makes no sense to me.

Giants Stadium, Dodger Stadium. For someone outside the U.S., I think it would be very easy to confuse these two sports venues (which are in/near the two largest cities in the country).

And to further add to the confusion, the Los Angeles Dodgers used to play in New York.  :lol:

I think it's all Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

largeststarintheuniverse

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 14, 2008, 17:41:33

hmm a good question.

actually i have always assumed that the backstage footage & mixing desk footage simply do come from the same show, because i'd find it really weird that they would have cut&paste footage from two different venues like that. i can't prove anything but it somehow just makes no sense to me, that they'd cut&paste it like that. the insert is clearly supposed to give a glimpse from giants stadium , LA (see perry's comment there etc.). so why would they suddenly use live footage from east rutherford? makes no sense - especially since i don't doubt it that they very well do/did have similar mixing desk footage from LA too...

No, I don't mean the backstage footage, I mean the live footage is not just from the mixing desk, in the live footage during Plainsong there is also a couple of shots from the side of the stage.

As for the footage before Plainsong, the camera goes out and you can see the crowd, right up to top at the back of the stadium you can clearly see it says "Dodger Stadium", which is in Los Angeles.

Personally I feel it's ALL from Dodger Stadium.

dsanchez

Quote from: largeststarintheuniverse on August 14, 2008, 17:54:54

It's in the Dodgers Stadium (Los Angeles) . Perry clearly said that in the camera before the band goes to the stage.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on August 14, 2008, 20:13:23
Quote from: largeststarintheuniverse on August 14, 2008, 17:54:54

It's in the Dodgers Stadium (Los Angeles) . Perry clearly said that in the camera before the band goes to the stage.

Yes, that much is clear, as well as the Dodgers logo in the background.

But some people are confused about the interview where Robert said something about a distant pro shot video from Giants stadium, which appeared during Picture Show.

So considering all that, there's always the possibility that the distant live shot was from a different show than the backstage footage. But just like japanesebaby said, that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense