Lol Tolhurst: "Many wild ideas happening in 2018"

Started by dsanchez, November 22, 2017, 23:23:27

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2018 will mark the band's 40th Anniversary and Lol recently published this on Twitter (thanks @SusannaRS for the heads up). What wild ideas could he be referring to? ;)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

My wild idea: Boris and Lol back in the band to play at least a few songs in selected European venues. Mostly HOTD songs.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tzare

Something has to happen. I guess the 40th anniversary calendar is a hint that Robert has something in the works.
And lol's tweet just adds fuel to the fire

cheyler

I'll bet their next tour will be their last, and I think they'll put as many line-ups as possible on the same stage during the course of each show.  Maybe a trio set with Lol and Michael (or Simon), then Boris and Pearl, maybe Andy and Mathieu, definitely Perry in there somewhere, Roger on and off...like a 'Cure Revue'.  Seems like many of the former members are looking back fondly on their time in The Cure.  Andy's writing a book, Lol is writing a second book, Perry was pretty upset at the way he left the band and just wanted to forget about it until he put up his Facebook page and all the love the fans were sending him made most of the negativity disappear and he doesn't get upset anymore when looking back on it.  I'd love to see a bunch of different line-ups each performing its own material over the course of three hours or so.

SusannaRS

Lets my memory be perverted to the uses    
Of lying and oppression.    
My lovers and their children must not be dispossessed of me;
I would be the untarnished possession forever
Of those for whom I lived.
(Spoon River Anthology, E.L.M.)

SusannaRS

Nothing related to The Cure I know but I start dreaming on it, they could announce a DVD of LATAM tour and 2016 tour at least  :roll:
Lets my memory be perverted to the uses    
Of lying and oppression.    
My lovers and their children must not be dispossessed of me;
I would be the untarnished possession forever
Of those for whom I lived.
(Spoon River Anthology, E.L.M.)

piggymirror

I also saw a post by Pearl about something called "A box of strange things". No words attached.
Pearl solo stuff (musical or not)... or something else?
Does anyone have any info about this Pearl "A box of strange things"?
More than anything else to verify wether this could be Cure-related or not.

cheyler

I don't know what the context was, but I know Lol and Pearl worked together on the artwork for Lol's book, and when Lol's book was first offered on the Pledge Music site, Lol was selling other items too.  One of the items was a big expensive box of 'memorabilia' collected by Lol during his years in The Cure.   I don't know what was in the box, it could have been a menu from the coffee shop in the Holiday Inn in Louisville for all I know.  There were other smaller boxes too, but one big one with lots of surprises and cool stuff in it.  Pearl might have been talking about one of these boxes, because he did the artwork for those too.

Tim Pope mentioned something about recording some of the European dates for a live CD.  I hope they recorded some of the U.S. dates too, because after seeing the set lists and hearing recordings of the shows, I'd say the U.S. leg of the tour was FAR better than the later European leg.  It's also possible that the 'Reflections' DVD is finally going to happen.  Again, after comparing the recordings, I'd rather have the Beacon Theater show in NYC (Nov. 26th) than the Sydney show from May.

Ulrich

Lol & Pearl also went into a studio together, but so far nothing is known about the recording(s) and what it might be used for.
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8646.0

Quote from: piggymirror on November 30, 2017, 03:25:56
I also saw a post by Pearl about something called "A box of strange things". No words attached.
Pearl solo stuff (musical or not)... or something else?

Well, Pearl's an "artist", could be some kind of artwork.

Edit: here is some info on this
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2017/11/new-products-for-sale-at-pearls-website.html
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

Clarification from Lol:
QuoteSo, just to make it clear when I said some wild ideas are happening next year I was referring to my own projects.
https://twitter.com/LolTolhurst/status/936388556649480192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

Great!  Looking forward to whatever it/they is/are!

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Well, A Box Of Strange Things is Pearl's new instagram page, she still posts her art there n she replies to comments n such but her manager runs it mostly I think. Pearl even gave me a virtual kiss a few weeks back!!