happened in the cure world today, X years ago...

Started by japanesebaby, March 31, 2009, 08:34:39

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Descent on May 12, 2009, 10:17:41
I don't think that show was really planned, so it didn't happen in the end. Sometimes you can find informations about the concert promoter "early plans". But no tickets were printed for this one (as far as I know), so I wouldn't say it was "cancelled" as such (it's the same for Paris July 10th 89 -all these were "options").

The concert in Boulogne sur Mer (near Lille) 12 july 89 was really cancelled though. That date appeared on the adverts and tickets were available.

i see. thanks for the info.

talking about lille, 29 years ago: 1980-05-13 Lille - MJC Marx Dormoy

'setlist unknown' - so many mystery concerts we don't know anything at all...

and another similar one for the same date: 1982-05-13 Berchem

concerts we do know a lot more about:

1984-05-13 Brussels

and 20 years ago:

one of the prayer tour shows for which a video recording exists.
which reminds me: when will the band finally release some video footage from prayer tour? it's about time...!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Descent

17 years ago part of the group (Robert, Simon, Perry) was finally hitting New York City piers after spending a week (?) on the QEII boat (crossing the Atlantic Ocean) for the US Wish Tour.

Trust...

Quote from: Descent on May 13, 2009, 12:42:55
17 years ago part of the group (Robert, Simon, Perry) was finally hitting New York City piers after spending a week (?) on the QEII boat (crossing the Atlantic Ocean) for the US Wish Tour.

Is it true that they said they were afraid to fly?? That's why they were travelling with the Queen Elizabeth II ??

(I was reading this in a Belgian magazine called "Humo". And on the radio on Robert's Birthday someone told the same story)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Descent

Fear of flying is pretty common I think. The entire Prayer Tour and the US & European Wish Tour were done without flying (for Robert and Simon). They did go to Australia by plane in 1992 though. Since 1995 they're taking planes again (but take sleeping pills or get "wasted" to deal with it apparently (?)).

I read different reasons for avoiding to take planes back in 89/92. One was that they had a terrible flight in course of going to South America in 1987. Another was that Robert wanted to see more of countries they were crossing. Another had a pilot telling him horrible stories about his job. Maybe a combination of all of this.

Trust...

Quote from: Descent on May 13, 2009, 14:08:39
Fear of flying is pretty common I think. The entire Prayer Tour and the US & European Wish Tour were done without flying (for Robert and Simon). They did go to Australia by plane in 1992 though. Since 1995 they're taking planes again (but take sleeping pills or get "wasted" to deal with it apparently (?)).

I read different reasons for avoiding to take planes back in 89/92. One was that they had a terrible flight in course of going to South America in 1987. Another was that Robert wanted to see more of countries they were crossing. Another had a pilot telling him horrible stories about his job. Maybe a combination of all of this.

Thanks Descent  :smth023
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

japanesebaby

Quote from: Descent on May 13, 2009, 12:42:55

indeed, a very good reminder!
the band arrives in new york on may 13th and the first show took place the next day in providence, NY.

the frensh magazine 'best' had a nice special issue out in 1992

among other things, the magazine featured a long report from the american leg of the wish tour, covering the dates from may 14th to july 24th.
it's only available in french, unfortunately. i never saw a translation anywhere in the web. :/

japanesebaby

Quote from: Descent on May 13, 2009, 14:08:39
I read different reasons for avoiding to take planes back in 89/92. One was that they had a terrible flight in course of going to South America in 1987.

one can actually read robert's own description about that here:
http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,6099.0.html

friday (april 3rd)

... he 8.30 wake-up trumpet blows. and this is where we pay! a flight at ten takes us to rio where we wait for eight fun-soaked hours in the airport lounge for a repeatedly delayed aerolines argentinas 747 for madrid.
[...]
we board the plane staggering, and endure, over the next three hours, the most horrendous flight in aviation history. it is sheer torture, and even the stewards and hoastesses drop their complacently grinning veneer.

japanesebaby

...six years ago:

the cure appeared in the bbc 're:covered' show, performing three songs.
the live songs were recorded in riverside studios, london, on may 25th 2002 and it was broadcast later in july 7th the same year.

lovesong
don't believe a word (thin lizzy cover)
a forest

http://www.impressionofsounds.com/2002-TV2.htm
http://www.cure-concerts.de/fm-tv/ft_2002-05-25.php