What Cure song would you pick for your funeral?

Started by Bloodflower, August 18, 2007, 07:23:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Carnage Visor

"CARNAGE VISORS SOUNDTRACK" would be a nice ambient song for the wake, it has a nice macbre feel to it...the guests won't be too offended because of it's steady tempo... :smth023

japanesebaby

if i have to try and pick a cure song, probably 'to wish impossible things' then.

but actually i wouldn't pick any cure song at all - i don't know why i even should be forced to pick a cure song.
i'd probably pick some classical music before all else.
anyway, it's maybe a bit of a forbidden subject but the most fitting one both lyrically and musically would be the beautiful minimalistic dirge 'collapse the light into earth' by porcupine tree:

I won't shiver in the cold
I won't let the shadows take their toll
I won't cover my head in the dark
And I won't forget you when we part

Collapse the Light Into Earth

I won't heal given time
I won't try to change your mind
I won't feel better in the cold light of day
But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay

Collapse...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

FarFar

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 24, 2007, 21:37:56
if i have to try and pick a cure song, probably 'to wish impossible things' then.

but actually i wouldn't pick any cure song at all - i don't know why i even should be forced to pick a cure song.
i'd probably pick some classical music before all else.
anyway, it's maybe a bit of a forbidden subject but the most fitting one both lyrically and musically would be the beautiful minimalistic dirge 'collapse the light into earth' by porcupine tree:

I won't shiver in the cold
I won't let the shadows take their toll
I won't cover my head in the dark
And I won't forget you when we part

I won't heal given time
I won't try to change your mind
I won't feel better in the cold light of day
But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay

Collapse...

yap....this song really touch me......but on my funeral i don't want that day become a sad day for everyone..... ;) lets get happy......
Life full of colorful, beautiful and mystery...just need to wait...it will come and chase you...

japanesebaby

Quote from: FarFar on August 25, 2007, 03:33:28
but on my funeral i don't want that day become a sad day for everyone..... ;) lets get happy......

yes, that is a very good advice, a very good idea...

i knew somebody who knew she was going to die soon (because of very severe illness). and whereas we here only speak about all this in theory, she really had this strange "privilege" to plan her own funeral, to choose her own coffin, to make her will etc. - it must have been very strange experience... just try to imagine it....
anyway, there were two "rules" regarding the funeral. the first "rule" was: no sad songs to be sung, absolutely no religious hymns or choral music, no things like that. no religious sermons, no imagery of heaven or hell or anything like that. only a couple of her favorite pieces of classical music played in the church, that's all. and the second "rule": after the burial, lots of children invited to the wake - lots of children so that there would be the sound of laughter everywhere and smiling faces all around, so that we others would not feel too desperate and would not let our grief overcome our hearts.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Carnage Visor

I think Robert would agree...I don't like sad funerals. Instead of mourning their death, celebrate their life that they lived...look back with happiness on their accomplishments. The deceased probably wouldn't want things to be depressing...who likes to be depressed? Not me.

Play "Why Can't I Be You" and "Lovecats"...something goofy and fun-filled that they could remember you by...it's not like you were known for loving organ hyms and choir music...unless that's your bag, and in that case...

If I were dead, I'd want people to sad, but have a good time...if that's possible.

Cure

numb
winter (i wanna die in winter, haha)
faith
treasure
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

shel1971

I would have to agree that I would want everyone to not be sad, but be happy in the memories that they had of me, so I would pick the song "Before Three" to hopefully make them think about those times. However, ever since I was in High School and had a very good friend die in a tragic car accident, I had already decided then, and have always said, that I would like "Good Times" by the Hoodoo Gurus played at my funeral/memorial and "Waiting for the Night to Fall" by Depeche Mode to be played at sundown with the interment of my ashes. I'd also like everyone to have a huge party and partake of as much alcohol and food as they wish while telling wild and embarrassing stories about me afterwards.

Carnage Visor

Quote from: shel1971 on September 01, 2007, 02:26:38
telling wild and embarrassing stories about me afterwards.

Ugh! That's one of my fears! What people will think of me when I'm gone!
I want them to yes, party like it's 1999, but also to miss me, not just there for the drinks, right?
I want a bittersweet mourning...lots of happy crying, lots of great Cure tunes blaring on the speakers to remind people of what a melodramatic, moody, depressive, yet fun-loving person I was. Or am.

Boy, all this talk of death is making me depressed... :lol:

shel1971

There's always room for happy tears, alive or dead, and those embarrassing stories are funny even to yourself eventually in life. :lol:
I love how you follow being depressed with a smiley!

Carnage Visor

Quote from: shel1971 on September 01, 2007, 02:35:12
There's always room for happy tears, alive or dead, and those embarrassing stories are funny even to yourself eventually in life. :lol:
I love how you follow being depressed with a smiley!

The smiley totally contradicts what I said, doesn't it? :P Well, Robert always mentioned he didn't want to be taken too seriously about the whole "death" thing... 8)

hush

Lullaby.
The Funeral Party.
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.
Last Day Of Summer.
One Hundred Years.
The Loudest Sound.
The Top.

And something more upbeat/quirky to change the mood, like Mint Car,  :lol:

figurehead

'Is It Always Like This?'

FarFar

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 26, 2007, 20:48:30
Quote from: FarFar on August 25, 2007, 03:33:28
but on my funeral i don't want that day become a sad day for everyone..... ;) lets get happy......

yes, that is a very good advice, a very good idea...

i knew somebody who knew she was going to die soon (because of very severe illness). and whereas we here only speak about all this in theory, she really had this strange "privilege" to plan her own funeral, to choose her own coffin, to make her will etc. - it must have been very strange experience... just try to imagine it....
anyway, there were two "rules" regarding the funeral. the first "rule" was: no sad songs to be sung, absolutely no religious hymns or choral music, no things like that. no religious sermons, no imagery of heaven or hell or anything like that. only a couple of her favorite pieces of classical music played in the church, that's all. and the second "rule": after the burial, lots of children invited to the wake - lots of children so that there would be the sound of laughter everywhere and smiling faces all around, so that we others would not feel too desperate and would not let our grief overcome our hearts.

thanks...i will take your advice to prepare for my funeral day....better i ask my parents to do the funeral party for me...lets get happy  :lol:  :smth083 wording in doing unstuck song....
Life full of colorful, beautiful and mystery...just need to wait...it will come and chase you...

Siouxsie_

I laugh at the thought of someone attending my funeral just for the food! :lol: