Russia attacks Ukraine

Started by dsanchez, February 24, 2022, 10:20:02

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

I am sceptical. Should Bakhmut fall, the offensive towards the Sea of Azov is in jeopardy anyway, and especially with regard to the First World War, there are plenty of examples of failed offensives on both sides if certain branches of arms/alliance partners do not work together. Ukraine is therefore well advised when, where and whether to attack at all.

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

"The future is the past" once said the great Sören Kierkegaard. Who would have thought that Leopard 1/2's could possibly do side by side what they were once designed to do.  :smth023 

MeltingMan

MeltingMan

There may be an encirclement here. This reminds me of the battle-hardened 6th Army, which once took months to take Stalingrad. They were badly prepared for house-to-house fighting and there were too few high-angle weapons. Nevertheless, I would say everything has been done right so far when I see these pictures.

MeltingMan

QuoteThe state-owned Swiss armaments company RUAG would like to be able to export 96 Leopard 1 main battle tanks. The decision should come soon.

Ulrich

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65818705

QuoteA huge dam in the Russian-controlled area of southern Ukraine has been destroyed, unleashing a flood of water.

Ukraine's military and Nato have accused Russia of blowing up the dam, while Russia has blamed Ukraine.

Thousands of people are being evacuated from communities in the surrounding areas, with fears that any flooding could be catastrophic.

:'( 
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: UlrichUkraine's military and Nato have accused Russia of blowing up the dam, while Russia has blamed Ukraine.

The news situation changes every hour, but first I had to think of the 'Dambusters'. But wait, wasn't there something about 'underwater sabotage' and no one claims it was?!  :? However, man-made floods have already occurred in earlier conflicts - of course to hinder or harm the opponent.

MeltingMan

Quote from: P. RonzheimerSome questions almost annoyed him [Zelenskyy].

I would be too if I were him. Ukraine urgently needs a military success and the enemy has learned from it. And then you have to ask yourself what else is subject to military secrecy. By the way, as early as 2014, I was of the opinion that B-52s should symbolically fly over Crimea, indeed. :1f633:  In theory, Air Defender 23 could establish the necessary air superiority regionally. The first 24 hours are crucial in a counter-offensive, I don't like using that word very much anymore. In short, both sides have to blame themselves for the media "sausage" of the conflict.

nerdiee

I don't understand well what is really happening, but now it seems that a military mutiny has begun in our country .. Prigozhin was accused of a military mutiny .. a special regime was introduced in Moscow and many roads are blocked and disturbing strange things are happening in Rostov, a lot of military equipment and in some places seems to be a shootout?.. i'm very ignorant in this things, i don't watch the news... I don't think this will end well

it looks like a coup d'état or a civil war are coming in Russia,it was very expected, everyone was waiting for it
teach me how to swim at the same deep water as you

Ulrich

Well, the situation is not very clear, especially when watching from afar.

German news site reports this:
QuoteBugayevka befindet sich in der Region Woronesch. Deren gleichnamige Hauptstadt haben die Wagner-Söldner zumindest teilweise unter ihre Kontrolle gebracht, wobei sie offenkundig auf nicht allzu viel Gegenwehr russischer Soldaten und Sicherheitskräfte gestoßen sind.

Prigoschin: "Wir sind Patrioten"
Anzeichen für eine Attacken der russischen Armee auf die Wagner-Söldner geben bislang lediglich Luftangriffe, etwa auf ein Öl-Depot in Woronesch. Das berichten mehrere Militärblogger und Beobachter der Lage in Russland. Auch ein Wagner-Konvoi nahe der Stadt soll getroffen worden sein, wie ein Reuters-Journalist beobachtete.

Prigoschin und seine Wagner-Truppen proben seit Freitagabend den bewaffneten Aufstand gegen die Militärführung in Moskau. Berichten zufolge haben sie dabei neben Woronesch auch die Stadt Rostow am Don unter ihre Kontrolle gebracht. Inzwischen ziehen die Söldner weiter nach Norden, in Richtung Moskau.
https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/ausland/id_100197278/russland-180-soldaten-von-putin-ergeben-sich-wagner-soeldnern.html

BBC reports:
QuoteYevgeny Prigozhin calls it his "March of Justice". Vladimir Putin says it is a "criminal escapade" and an "armed mutiny". One senior Russian commander has called it "a coup".

Whatever you call it, the Wagner chief has gone for broke to try to topple Russia's military leadership.

This had been brewing. For months there has been very public infighting between Wagner and Russia's ministry of defence over how the war in Ukraine has been fought.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66007017

QuoteA video has emerged of Prigozhin telling a deputy defence minister and a general in Rostov on Friday that until the two main military figures come and talk to him, his mercenaries will block off the city and head for Moscow.

There are reports of a military helicopter being shot down and of a Wagner convoy heading north up the M4 motorway in the Voronezh region north of Rostov.

Prigozhin's quarrel is not with Russian soldiers in Ukraine, but with the "clowns" leading them, he argues. Several generals have appealed for him to calm down, but that seems too late.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66006880

Ulrich

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-66006142

QuoteYevgeny Prigozhin, the head of the Wagner mercenary group, is to leave Russia for Belarus after calling off his troops' rebellion

dsanchez

On the recent events with the Wagner group...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

The lush green in the pictures is deceptive. The city [Bakhmut] itself looks as if a small atomic bomb fell there. Spooky - no more life. Ammunition must be saved. I think that applies to both sides. Otherwise we have this 'shooting at sparrows with cannons' absurdity. But the fact that you don't have to take cover after every shot, like a year ago on the Ukrainian side, shows how effective you've become.  :frowning:

MeltingMan

Reports with Sergij Osachuk are rare, like this one, which is 'only' in German. The pressure on the Russians around Bakhmut is being maintained, according to the former governor of the Chernivtsi region. In addition, the enemy has air superiority. What do you say to that, Mr. Stoltenberg?

MeltingMan

Quote from: WELT-NachrichtenHARD CRITICISM OF NATO: "A cheek to say Ukraine should be more grateful"

To be honest, I don't really like watching shots of Leopard tanks left on the battlefield. For months there was a dispute about sending these tanks. That first and then the question must be allowed how many weapons were actually paid for! Much of the material is only borrowed or even given as a gift. Unfortunately, Putin's remark that the West is fighting to the last Ukrainian is true. On the other hand, it is incomprehensible that aid from the West should be unselfish. I find this expectation false. And on top of that, reconstruction also costs money. And the German reunification was also expensive etc. etc. 🤑