clapping instructions

Started by japanesebaby, December 22, 2007, 10:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2008, 10:23:15
Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2008, 10:13:18
but has anyone ever tried clapping in the shower? :lol:

hey that's a great idea! i think i'm just about to start a new hobby here!  :D  :-D

Just a word of advice to the guys...hold your arms up a bit when you start clappin' in the shower, ok??!!   :shock: :smth047
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Carnage Visor

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 04, 2008, 19:41:56
reminds me of people back in school who had no musical ear whatsoever but who sitll had to listen to music and had to have their favorite bands/groups - just because it was something that everyone was supposed to have.

Yeah, that and the fact that every kid in high school just *has* to like those overplayed groups like The Beatles, Pink Floydd, and AC/DC.
Wow, how cool to like bands that everyone else, including the media, forces on you!! No originality here!  :roll:

It's just plain "dorky" to steer away from bands like that and enjoy bands like "Siouxsie" or "The Cure" OR "The Chameleons" or "Cocteau Twins"...god forbid that happens, then kids stare and laugh and say;

"What the hell is that? It's not AC/DC or Metallica, so it sucks!"

And then there's the rythm like you mentioned. How can you NOT hear that you're offbeat? I never understand these people with no rythm who insist on clapping...can they even hear the music or are their ears delayed??? :(

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on January 10, 2008, 02:54:03
"What the hell is that? It's not AC/DC or Metallica, so it sucks!"

young people still listen to AC/DC there? for some reason i'm surprised - i'm really not sure why. but i just find that sort of weird.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Carnage Visor

People in my age demographic (14-17) listen to all that overplayed nonsense like AC/DC, Metallica, KISS, Led Zeppelin, and The Who...as well as Pink Floydd.

But other stuff like punk and goth rock is completely overlooked. Sad but true, at least where I live.

Joe

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 22, 2007, 12:01:23
Quote from: scatcat on December 22, 2007, 11:31:50
if only bob would talk more to the crowd??  ;)
uh, oh god please no no no... the day he starts babbling to the crowds i think i might stop listening to their live stuff. :oops:
i've always had a speacial appreciation towards him for not babbling between the tracks.

generally i hate babbling performers: they remind me of bono - which is not a plus to anyone, not at all.
for instance, i went to marilyn manson two days ago and one thing i found totally out of place there was his damn babbling. at first i couldn't almost believe it, it was so damn out of place. he should just shut up and do his stuff and be done with it. but instead, he was putting up things like an ages old idiotic shouting/loudness competition between left and right sides of the audience - that was the lousiest thing ever. :smth011

ol' bob used to tell these famous jokes back in the late 80s/early 90s. ive always thought even those felt somehow out of place and like a waste of time, although they certainly weren't a typical kind of babbling with the crowds.
but i think he's a lot better if he keeps his mouth shut between the songs...

i think this particular case was funny because it was completely random, one-off thing. but if they'd ever do it twice, it would turn into something utterly stupid.

Don't listen to The Cure show from Munich in 1986, as I remember Robert didn't shut up haha, but its a great set and bootleg anyway  :smth023

And Carnage Visor....The Who, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are very much NOT nonsense  :smth020

Those three bands have very highly talented musicians and are successful because of that just like our boys in The Cure. Considering Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, I will defend them strongly. If you want to hear some excellent pieces of music, listen to everything they've done from 1967 to 1972 BEFORE Dark Side of the Moon came out. I could go on and on...

I'm just saying pal, if you want to label modern day nonsense, choose Panic! at the Disco, Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Fallout Boy.  :-D

japanesebaby

a funny clapping detail from lisboa concert on saturday:
so everyone knows this special kind of clapping that people are supposed to do during the latter half of 'a forest', these two wuick clap on the beat, right? there was this guy next to me/in front of me who just couldn't do this. i wouldn't want to laugh at someone like that but he was so hilarious, he almost made me crack up on the spot. because as we know, you're supposed to clap twice there - but he just couldn't do it, he had to clap three times. or if he tried clapping only twice he missed the beat and just clapped completely out of beat - i honestly don't know how he managed to do that! i think it's a lot more difficult to clap off-beat there than on-beat - especially when a couple of thousand other people are doing it all around you....
i think he himself also probably noticed this slightly embarrassing detail about himself/his own clapping abilities because pretty soon he actually started to look around as if he was looking for hlep/instructions from someone, trying to look very carefully what the others were doing and then copy them...
but no, he just couldn't get it right, and so he just kept clapping all WRONG all throughout the song: either he clapped three times (WRONG) or two times but always completely off-beat . those were pretty much his options. :smth043
i almost wanted to tap him on the shoulder and say "hey come on dude, it can't be THAT difficult, really!!"

(damn i should have filmed that guy on video, it would have been some hilarious material!)

Carnage Visor

Quote from: Joe on February 04, 2008, 18:53:52
And Carnage Visor....The Who, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are very much NOT nonsense  :smth020

To my mom and I they are...they're tired and overplayed.
Plus, I'm more of a goth fan myself rather than classic rock...

I understand that they layed the bricks, but in a way so did The Cure, for what goth and pop music is today. They kind of started their own subgenre.

And I DO NOT like the bands you mentioned either...but it seems everyone else my age does. What ever happened to good indie stuff?

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on March 09, 2008, 23:50:45
To my mom and I they are...they're tired and overplayed.
Plus, I'm more of a goth fan myself rather than classic rock...

well, i think someone like justin timberlake or some other kind of MTV crap can be described as "overplayed". imo pink floyd isn't overplayed by any standards. NOT that you have to like then though, of course. but that's another thing altogether than calling them overplayed. anyway, i honestly don't think much any 70s (classic) rock band is really "overplayed" today. because they've always been pretty much out of fashion, ever since the seventies... especially all progressive bands.
and there are crap goth bands and great classic rock bands and vice versa. so at least to me the genre alone never settled/secured anything.

anyway, nothing to do with clapping here. so let's start another thread if needs to be or continue it on "bands i like/don't like" threads that we have here too.
:D