2012.06.30 Belfort - Malsaucy 'Les Eurockéennes' (France)

Started by jesscat13, March 01, 2012, 14:30:38

Previous topic - Next topic

The Loudest Cure

The further we go And older we grow The more we know The less we show.

jakso

The Loudest Cure

The further we go And older we grow The more we know The less we show.

dsanchez

Hello guys!

I am back after The Cure's show at Belfort and after a crazy crazy trip. As you know, all of this was planned last minute, as I really didn't think to go to Les Eurockéennes anymore because of my work, because it's too expensive and so, but going there was really an unforgettable experience!

So where I should start? On Wednesday 27th June I was told I won a VIP ticket to see The Cure, this was after a contest organized by France 3. I had to quickly organize everything at work and hopefully a colleague of mine was able to work instead of me on Friday (I was supposed to work until evening that day, but he switched with me). I had to quickly organize a travel from Bratislava to Belfort. It was not easy!

So after looking on the Web I found a bus from here to Basel (Switzerland). Basel is very close to Belfort. The bus left Bratislava around 17h30 on Friday. I was supposed to arrive in Basel 06h40 next morning. Instead, we were stopped by the Swiss police in the middle of the night. Each of us had to show what we had in our bags. They also looked everywhere in the bus. It seems to me they were trying to check if everything (from a mechanical point of view) was in order). All this took like 90 minutes. I arrived to Zurich by the time I was supposed to arrive in Basel (06h40). I had to take another bus from there, instead, I choose to take a train. Hopefully I was able to make it on time to Basel and then I could catch my trains (2) to Belfort. I arrived to the Festival site around 11h00, right for the interview. Yes, as part of the France 3 prize I had to talk to them about The Cure, etc. So, in summary, it was a 18 hours trip including 1 bus and 3 trains :?

Anyway, the people from France 3 were really nice. I had lunch with them, and we were talking about lots of different things. So then I told them I have a friend who has seen The Cure 150 times. Of course, they were interested to meet him, so I phoned Druide (who was on his way to Belfort) and we arranged a meeting some time in the afternoon. Druide also got a special pass and with this we were able to go to the VIP zone where we meet Mel and Frank (The Loudest Cure). So there we were eating, drinking and talking (of course) about Cure related stuff :P

So then around 20h00 the guys from France 3 did an interview to Druide and also took some shoots of us (Mel, Frank and me) in the middle of the crowd. Shortly after there was a heavy rain as you can't imagine. By now, you must know that The Cure concert was postponed for about 30 minutes because of this.

The Concert

It's very bad to be always up to date with what's going on in The Cure's world , because I knew beforehand the entire main set they were going to play. Of course, they started with "Plainsong" (it couldn't be other way as they started with "Open" in Werchter, two days before) and followed with "Pictures of You". Overall, It was really a good show, and if I didn't knew the main set in advance, I would say the set list was awesome. There you have the darkness of "One Hundred Years", the super pop "Mint Car" (still don't get why many fans don't appreciate this song!) or the awesomeness of "The Kiss". Songs for all tastes.

There were some technical problems during the show but nothing to be alarmed. Bob's guitar didn't sound at the beginning of "In Between Days" and something similar happened at the beginning of "The Kiss". Then during "Why Can't I Be You" one of his guitar's string was broken. Even with that, we continued playing with the remaining strings!

At the end, Bob complained about not being able to play longer. After all, the rain stole 30 minutes of the band's show. I wonder what he had planned for us. Maybe "Piggy In The Mirror" and "Cut here" in a second encore?

Before the gig I was speaking with Druide, Mel and Frank about Jason's drumming. Personally, I didn't like the cymbal's excess during the 2008 4Tour, but I can tell you guys, he does sounds really good now (as he did last year in the Reflection's gigs). No comments to add about Roger, Simon or Reeves, all did an awesome job.

If you ask me for a highlight of the night, that was definitely "The Kiss". No matter if there were some guitarr issues at the beginning, it's one of the most amazing Cure songs to enjoy live.

Meeting with Jason

After the concert I went to the restricted area to try to meet The Cure. I was waiting to see if Bob, Jason, Roger, Simon or Reeves would go out sometime. Instead, the only who went out was Jason. He was with another guy from the crew probably. They went to see part of Justice's show (never heard of this band before).

Anyway, when they came back I asked Jason if I could get an autograph. He said "Of course, man!". He was so very nice and easy going. Then his friend asked me where I was from. I replied I was from Peru, and I took the chance to reply back (to Jason) if the band was planning to tour South America any time soon. He said yes! Of course, this "soon" could be understood as a possible gig in 2013. If The Cure releases a new album by the end of the year, then is more likely a Tour next year, and that could be the time for South America, finally.

I also asked him if they could include "Piggy In The Mirror" in the current tour, and he said something like "I will try to get that into the set". That would be awesome!

I waited a few more minutes to see if someone else would come out from the dressing room. But it was more than 02h00 (of Sunday) and I was too tired. Remember I was travelling from 17h30 (on Friday), and I was way too exhausted. Who knows, maybe I will get the chance to meet the reminder members in Milano or Roma :smth023

Click here to see some photos of the Festival
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: soulmate on July 01, 2012, 21:40:07
It was a great gig indeed! So glad to hear Trust   :smth020
Here is a link to my pics from last night

Wow, some nice photos there, Chrystell! What kind of camera do you use if I may ask?
And by the way, nice to see around after long time. Are you going to other Cure gigs?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: The Loudest Cure on July 01, 2012, 12:06:28
Here are some pictures of the show last night...
Very good day with David, Druide  & The Cure !!! :)

Excellent photos, thanks for sharing!

And as Bob usually says: "see you again" :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Bob: "Over the last thirty years France has been our best European country, even better than England"

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Trust...

Trust...

@David, thank you for the review, I can imagine your long trip a bit  :?
So happy for you, you could have that expierence, as I know, the best concerts are mostly those you didn't planned before  ;)

Nice that you met Jason :rocker
Happy you are safe back in your country!

billee

What a wonderful experience  :D So happy for you, even though it was a big adventure getting to the concert.

Oh and how nice it was to see "Curefans" shining brightly for all the world to see. Very happy & proud to be part of this community :smth055
The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

dsanchez

Quote from: billee on July 04, 2012, 12:10:58
Oh and how nice it was to see "Curefans" shining brightly for all the world to see. Very happy & proud to be part of this community :smth055

We're the ones who are very happy to have you here, billee! :smth006
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo