Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Hm, maybe time to listen to The Mission once again, 30 years since "Children" was released...

http://crypticrock.com/the-mission-children-turns-30/

QuoteAn offshoot from the prime English Gothic Rock band The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission had eventually surpassed and overshadowed its predecessor immediately upon releasing its debut album and for ultimately becoming much, much more prolific. While the The Sisters of Mercy got to deliver three proper albums, The Mission had eleven on the sleeve of its originator. But then, this is not a competition. Both bands had earned merits of their own and had respectively left musical legacies that continue to influence many contemporary bands and to entertain old and young enthusiasts of Gothic and New Wave music.

Formed in 1985, in Leeds, England, by former Sisters of Mercy members Wayne Hussey (vocals, guitar) and Craig Adams (bass) with Drummer Mick Brown (of Red Lorry Yellow Lorry) and Guitarist Simon Hinkler (Artery, Pulp), The Mission released eleven proper albums—from 1986's Gods Own Medicine to 2016's Another Fall from Grace. While Gods Own Medicine was a solid and cohesive set and Carved in Sand the most Pop-oriented among the lot, Children remains the band's pinnacle and its most progressive work. It was the moment when Hussey and his comrades really let go of their inhibitions, unafraid to defy the norm, and went beyond the typical four-minute tendencies of Pop music. Thirty years have passed since The Mission's Children was born, and yet the songs that it contains remain confident and bold.

Released in February 1988, on Mercury Records, the almost conceptual Children opened with the epic, almost-eight-minute "Beyond the Pale," whose mix of Hindustani-inspired Psychedelia and Gothic Rock rendered chilling results and which featured on backing vocals Julianne Reagan of the then fledgling Gothic band All About Eve. The Eastern psychedelic vibes continued with the equally upbeat "A Wing and a Prayer" and subtle, dramatic buildup of "Fabienne" from synthesizer echoes to the fuzz and grates of the guitar. ...
I'm walking slowly and quickly, but always away...

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

The Smiths-There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
The Smiths-Meat Is Murder (Live)
The Smiths-Asleep

The Smiths-The Queen Is Dead-Take Me Back The Dear Old Bighty
The Smiths-The Boy With A Thorn In His Side

The Smiths-These Things Take Time
The Smiths-That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
The Smiths-Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before

The Smiths-Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Adam And The Ants-Ant Music

Nirvana-Negative Creep
Nirvana-All Apologies
Nirvana-Lounge Act

R.E.M.-U Berlin
R.E.M.-Radio Free Europe
R.E.M.-It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
R.E.M.-What's The Frequency Kenneth?

New Order-Blue Monday
Queen ft David Bowie-Under Pressure
Nine Inch Nails-Sin

Foo Fighters-Best Of You
Depeche Mode-Enjoy The Scilence

Nine Inch Nails-Head Like A Hole
U2-With Or Without You
The Smiths-How Soon Is Now?