Play Out - Different Versions

Started by lostflower4, May 13, 2007, 06:11:14

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

For my fellow North and South Americans, I'm curious if I'm alone here. I know the Europeans will just laugh at my ignorance.

The other day I popped in my PAL VHS version of "Play Out". I knew the European release was a bit different than the American version, but I didn't realize how much until yesterday...

On the U.S. version, all this stuff is missing:

Late Night With Jonathan Ross

- band arriving/backstage stuff

- soundcheck w/ "Bland With An Edge"

- "Harold And Joe" (live)

MTV Unplugged

- about 15 minutes of backstage material, including members   
     having their makeup put on + various banter

- "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" (live)

I seriously had never seen any of this before, except a low quality version of Harold And Joe.

Like I said, I'm sure you Europeans take this for granted, but I seriously had no idea the difference in releases was this big. Seeing this new stuff was like discovering a lost treasure.  :shock:

I even have Play Out on laserdisc and thought it was the definitive version, but it's cut just like the American VHS release. Seems kinda pointless now. :roll:

I suspect there might be even some more small differences, but I haven't checked well enough yet.

Maybe I'm not the only person surprised here? :oops:

nausearockpig

G'day mate,
here's what I "know"...
The version I have, purchased in Australia has the following info on the back cover:

day one
T&CII CLUB - LONDON - 17TH JANUARY 1991
wendy time
the big hand
away
let's go to bed
a strange day

day two
WEMBLEY ARENA - LONDON - GREAT BRITISH MUSIC WEEKEND -18TH JANUARY 1991
pictures of you
fascination street
lullaby
a forest

day three
THE JONOTHAN ROSS SHOW 23RD JANUARY 1991 VARIOUS SNIPS INCLUDING
hello i love you - just like heaven - the walk - bland with an edge
harold and joe

day four
E-ZEE HIRE REHEARSAL STUDIO - LONDON - 22ND JANUARY 1991
the blood
the walk

day five
MTV - "UNPLUGGED" - 24TH JANUARY 1991
just like heaven
a letter to elise
if only tonight we could sleep
boys don't cry

day six
DOMINION THEATRE - LONDON - REHEARSALS FOR "THE BRIT AWARDS" 9TH FEBRUARY 1991

day seven
DOMINION THEATRE - LONDON - "THE BRIT AWARDS" 10TH FEBRUARY 1991
never enough

then there's the following:

produced by the cure and chriss parry for fiction films

a box that says:
Freigegeben
a line i cant' read
Altersbenschrbakuag
gemab  7
JOSchG
FSK

under that is "E Excempt from classification"
on the right is "W - Windsong INTERNATIONAL VIDEO"
also on the right is the Fiction symbol along with what looks like a V in a circle. The V and the circle are quite dark

P in a circle then C in a circle [Copyright] 1991 Fiction Records
distributed by pinnacle

on the spine is the code WIV007

This version includes all the stuff you mentioned along with what i recall to be simon telling perry how "Never Enough" goes - presumably before they go on stage to play it??

don't know if that helps or hinders.. :D

Oso Blanco

Quote from: nausearockpig on May 13, 2007, 08:16:26

Freigegeben
a line i cant' read
Altersbenschrbakuag
gemab  7
JOSchG
FSK

Freigegeben
ohne
Altersbeschränkung
gemäß § 7
JOSchG
FSK

That's German and basically means the same as "exempt from classification".

Seems that you have bought the European version!
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

lostflower4

Quote from: nausearockpig on May 13, 2007, 08:16:26a box that says:
Freigegeben
a line i cant' read
Altersbenschrbakuag
gemab  7
JOSchG
FSK

under that is "E Excempt from classification"
on the right is "W - Windsong INTERNATIONAL VIDEO"
also on the right is the Fiction symbol along with what looks like a V in a circle. The V and the circle are quite dark

P in a circle then C in a circle [Copyright] 1991 Fiction Records
distributed by pinnacle

Yep, that's the same as my European VHS, with the Windsong/Fiction  title intro. The American version has the usual Elektra Records intro... And a whole lot of cuts! :x

Descent

http://www.impressionofsounds.com/videogr/vid-playout.html

24 minutes difference... I guess Elektra didn't want to spend that much money on it. Just like the Bloodflowers cd booklet (in color in Europe, in b/w in America...). :roll:

Otherwise, there's an European promo version of Play Out with 10:15 and KAA from the T&CC2 concert. Both songs didn't make it to the commercial release. Anybody has this tape ?

lostflower4

Thanks for the additional info.

So the Japanese VHS is complete too? I probably could have bought this a few years ago, but now that everything's out of print it's damn near impossible to find. :roll:

I've been collecting Cure laserdiscs for a few years now, but I've never seen this as a Japanese release, nor as PAL. Does this exist in LD format outside of the U.S. release? :?

Descent

Yes, the Japanese VHS is 2 hours long. But I don't think a Japanese laserdisc of Play Out exists strangely (contrary to Show). Never heard about it or saw it. It seems like Play Out was only released on LD in the US.

Just checked in discography sites :
http://www.thecurerecords.com lists Play Out LD from Japan but with the mention 'label unknown' (when usually the site is quite precise). So, I don't think they have a proof of this really existing.

dsanchez

Seems I also have the incomplete american version. Below in red is what I am missing:

day one
T&CII CLUB - LONDON - 17TH JANUARY 1991
wendy time
the big hand
away
let's go to bed
a strange day

day two
WEMBLEY ARENA - LONDON - GREAT BRITISH MUSIC WEEKEND -18TH JANUARY 1991
pictures of you
fascination street
lullaby
a forest

day three
THE JONOTHAN ROSS SHOW 23RD JANUARY 1991 VARIOUS SNIPS INCLUDING
hello i love you - just like heaven - the walk - bland with an edge
harold and joe

day four
E-ZEE HIRE REHEARSAL STUDIO - LONDON - 22ND JANUARY 1991
the blood
the walk

day five
MTV - "UNPLUGGED" - 24TH JANUARY 1991
just like heaven
a letter to elise
if only tonight we could sleep
boys don't cry

day six
DOMINION THEATRE - LONDON - REHEARSALS FOR "THE BRIT AWARDS" 9TH FEBRUARY 1991

day seven
DOMINION THEATRE - LONDON - "THE BRIT AWARDS" 10TH FEBRUARY 1991
never enough

:(
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on May 13, 2007, 23:55:43
Seems I also have the incomplete american version. Below in red is what I am missing:

You're also missing a pretty lengthy and interesting backstage segment for MTV Unplugged.

I also have doubts about a Japanese laserdisc existing. I've been watching eBay and other sites for years now and have seen all the other Japanese releases, but not that one. If it does exist, it must be an extremely limited edition pressing.

I've found that the Japanese versions of laserdiscs always seem to be superior. The American version of In Orange has some major problems. Some parts are out of synch, and there are bad noises throughout. You can hear these problems on the audio bootlegs that were made from it.

Janko

I DONT HAVE THIS VIDEO, SO COULD SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT KIND OF SONGS ARE:

- away

AND

- bland with an edge

:?

THANKS!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

nausearockpig

Away is the original version of Cut played at the Five Imaginary Boys show at the T&CII in January 1991. I think they introduced it as "1 2 3 4" or "One Two Three Four" as well. for want of a better or actual title...

by the way, this song rocks!!!!

I'm not sure but i think Bland With An Edge is something that they played between segments on the Jonothan Ross Show but I don't know where the song comes from originally. Google wasn't much help there..

lostflower4

Quote from: nausearockpig on May 15, 2007, 04:02:46
I'm not sure but i think Bland With An Edge is something that they played between segments on the Jonothan Ross Show but I don't know where the song comes from originally. Google wasn't much help there..

Yeah, it was their theme song for that show. It always sounded like an alternate version of Harold And Joe to me. There's definitely some similarities between the two.

japanesebaby

i was just watching this the other night. i have both european and american versions and i thought i put on the longer (european) one and got , then suddenly day three was mtv unplugged rehearsals and i felt like "hey what's going on here?" - had to change discs. :oops:

i was thinking could (some of) the cuts be done because of some copyright differences between europe/overseas? just guessing. but for instance the make-up session (before mtv unplugged) includes some other artist songs being played in the background (by sting, george michael etc.).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

I remember seeing this while in London several years ago and thinking to myself that I should really get this.  But then I thought it's not THAT much different and I'm getting low on beer money.  :oops:  Hey, I was 19 and had never been to a bar before.  Stupid me

I did buy a few things only available as import, though (Entreat, High box, and a few items on vinyl...most of which I sold for beer money a few years later).   :P

Nicholas

Huh!  I was watching this the other night as well, since I had finally procured myself a ripped copy online. 

I hadn't watched it for a while, since I had long ago sold my US VHS, and I felt really, really old and forgetful since I had no recollection whatsoever of Harold & Joe or If Only Tonight...  Then I felt like kicking myself--you know, 'you big dummy, how could you have sold that with those songs and such great behind the scenes material?'

Then I read this here about the different versions and now I don't feel so old and stupid anymore--thanks!