how big the hair of robert smith and how many times a week he wash it?????

Started by FarFar, July 28, 2007, 03:42:11

Previous topic - Next topic

ROGUE

Quote from: Siouxsie_ on October 06, 2007, 05:55:30
Oooh, I just realised something! If you started with ringlet curls, wouldn't your hairstyle end up resembling Lol Tolhurst's?  :smth046

Thats what i was thinking too, seems more-so teased (Roberts hair) upside down, and all the other details.  But not sure about the ironing, I used to do that, and makes it flat as a tak= but then again, that would take away the ringlets,
Shi- it just teased mostly underneath.
The underneath is cut shorter than the top, and wallah- yes- style upside down (tease and spray) and then pick out sections to fall down over the top of the teases.
ahha all makes sense to me.

Still think it can be done a few different ways- six to be exact, But it is still top secret, wink wink nudge nudge....  :?

ROGUE

Quote from: Carnage Visor on October 06, 2007, 04:26:23
If I woke up and I had this hair, all my problems would be solved! (Honestly, this is the kind of hair I wish I had, I hate straight hair or short hair, the bigger the better for me!)

That sounds complicated! Jeez! How do you work with very thin, blow-in-the wind hair? Because no matter what I put in my hair, the wind screws it up and my hair flops around like crazy, sometimes you can even see my scalp...it's embarassing. I want my whole head covered except my face, and black. No more dirty blond.

Anyway, enough about me. Thanks for the tip!

I hated people looking at me in school, at my eyes especially, Or actually i hated my nose... dont now.. But anyway i did a  'Nikki Six'  hair-do at the time, with a long fringe that went below my eyes- Only lasted a day, because i couldnt see for starters, and made me feel more uncomfortable, But i have photos and now i think i was beautiful, but at the time i felt ugly.
I wonder if when iam 80 yrs old i will look at the pictures i have now, and think iam beautiful, but at the moment i never do feel it- Well sometimes, and thats an inside thing, not outside, and when i feel that way I glow. When i dont it is like iam invisible, And thats ok, some days i like to be invisible.

scatcat

Quote from: ROGUE on October 07, 2007, 18:18:52
Quote from: Siouxsie_ on October 06, 2007, 05:55:30
Oooh, I just realised something! If you started with ringlet curls, wouldn't your hairstyle end up resembling Lol Tolhurst's?  :smth046

Thats what i was thinking too, seems more-so teased (Roberts hair) upside down, and all the other details.  But not sure about the ironing, I used to do that, and makes it flat as a tak= but then again, that would take away the ringlets,
Shi- it just teased mostly underneath.
The underneath is cut shorter than the top, and wallah- yes- style upside down (tease and spray) and then pick out sections to fall down over the top of the teases.
ahha all makes sense to me.

Still think it can be done a few different ways- six to be exact, But it is still top secret, wink wink nudge nudge....  :?

judging from the latest vids coming from MTV, I REALLY don't think he's washed his hair since the Aussie gigs!!  :-D It has taken on a new dimension now..  :shock: bigger and more boofie...  so the advice now is to tip upside down , :smth040 and tease baby tease! THEN SPRAY AGAIN! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

Scatcat Yes, no i wouldnt have a clue, just stuffing around.(not a hair dresser) :smth023 

Although made sense to me at the time. :lol: but hope to hear further ways to do a Robert do...

Yeh Simons looks cool too, wow he looks great.  :shock: (well they both/all do) but the most delicious Robert
even if he's hair hasnt been washed.

Cure Freak

Quote from: scatcat on October 06, 2007, 17:56:13
Quote from: Carnage Visor on October 06, 2007, 04:26:23
If I woke up and I had this hair, all my problems would be solved! (Honestly, this is the kind of hair I wish I had, I hate straight hair or short hair, the bigger the better for me!)

That sounds complicated! Jeez! How do you work with very thin, blow-in-the wind hair? Because no matter what I put in my hair, the wind screws it up and my hair flops around like crazy, sometimes you can even see my scalp...it's embarassing. I want my whole head covered except my face, and black. No more dirty blond.

Anyway, enough about me. Thanks for the tip!

okay.. how about a hairpiece or even a wig?? some can look quite real??? Yes I think a wig wouls suffice!! :smth023

:smth020
EBay was selling a Edward Scissorhand  wig.
Might work.

Carnage Visor

I'm tired of everyone criticising his hair!!!

The general public has no toleration for awesome, originality in style I guess...

Walking around with their boring buzzcuts (Ugh) and their sports jerseys...

I just had to be born in '92! My parents couldn't have just done it when they got married, they had to wait an extra six years or so...

AlluivialL

Quote from: Carnage Visor on October 25, 2007, 23:16:58
I'm tired of everyone criticising his hair!!!

The general public has no toleration for awesome, originality in style I guess...

Walking around with their boring buzzcuts (Ugh) and their sports jerseys...

I just had to be born in '92! My parents couldn't have just done it when they got married, they had to wait an extra six years or so...

Heh..I would say the same thing, about being born earlier, but I was born two months after my parents got married. Hmmm, I don't even know. I would love his hair, but I would look like a complete retard with it. Lol..anyway, Robert's hair is amazing.
But I think I get a bit confused, am I seducing or being seduced?

SueC

Please excuse me for resurrecting a topic more than 10 years old, but... :winking_tongue

From page 1 of this illustrious topic:

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on July 30, 2007, 12:12:52
Quote from: Plainsong on July 29, 2007, 20:31:54Robert probably does not swim much though. ;)
Now there's another question!  Can he swim at all?

I was thinking that when you wear your hair like this, it's actually very aerated, and if there was some way of continuing to trap that air when the hair gets wet, you'd have an excellent flotation aid, at the very crucial end of the body which must be kept above water to facilitate effective continued breathing through lungs (as opposed to gills).

Standard hairstyling products tend to be water-soluble - if they weren't you couldn't wash them out of your hair, and then your hairstyle would get sad really quickly, plus birds might start thinking about setting up nests etc.  (You use shampoo to de-grease your hair, and to remove any greasy styling products like Brylcreem, which aren't particularly relevant to this discussion because they don't allow you to "aerate" your hair.)

However, if you used some kind of water-insoluble product (Superglue? Expandafoam?) to style your hair, you might be able to trap some of the air in the hairstyle even when it gets wet.  Superglue wouldn't be particularly effective at trapping the air though (since it would coat individual hairs or at the most strands of hair and actually tend to displace air pockets), but the Expandafoam (space-filling builder's foam) option automatically traps air in the product itself, and maybe if they made a black-colour option, instead of orange or yellow...

In case you are wondering, standard Expandafoam applied to hair looks like this:

This woman mistook Expandafoam for hair mousse and presented to an emergency department for help (but you really just need old-fashioned sheep shears to get rid of this style once you are done with it, you don't have to bother trained medical professionals).

You can see the potential this product has for alternative hair styling, if it is the right colour - and you can certainly see its splendid potential as a flotation device.

If that's too drastic an option - eternally vacillating between aerated hair and a shorn head - and one still wanted one's hair to double as an inbuilt flotation device, then one could simply stick with water-soluble styling products, and work on producing a water-impermeable barrier across the hair-atmosphere boundary.  It would have to be airtight, and non-compressible or nearly so.

By the way, I've seen an interview where Robert Smith claimed he can swim, and has also claimed everyone can swim, offering the practical experiment of throwing people in - it seems the people he threw in always managed to swim even if they previously claimed they couldn't.  There's several reasons this wasn't good science:

1.  The sample size was probably too small to be particularly statistically significant (n=100 is about right for a preliminary study; I doubt he even got that far, somebody would have thumped him etc).

2.  The sample was clearly not representative of the general population - not randomly selected etc, e.g. he clearly didn't throw in any newborns or toddlers, or elderly and infirm people (which means he was to a degree engineering the results by deliberately using an unrepresentative sample - we call this data fudging).

3.  A properly designed experiment on this topic would have difficulty getting past an ethics committee.

Yours in Science

SueC
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

I remember an interview (ca. 1995?), in which Robert says his hair had turned into "natural dreadlocks" at that point, which was a problem when he went swimming or scuba diving...
(This is from memory, but I'll try and find it, if I still have that mag. At least it seems to answer the question whether he can swim.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Curiouser and curiouser!

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 17, 2007, 15:55:50
Quote from: strange_day on August 17, 2007, 04:50:48He was never on drugs, its all that hairspray hes passed through his nostrils.... thats why he was high as a kite years ago, look how big the hair was back then... :-D

See it all makes sense  ;)

:-D So THAT's how it's done!? I've go to start sniffing hairspray if I want that Robert hairstyle!  :lol:

I'm sure that would do interesting things to one's nostril hair.  :angel

And about the other matter, hold your breath when using hairspray and do not breathe again until you've left the room and are in unpolluted air (apologies to those of you living near chimeys and freeways).  That should give you 60-90 seconds before you get really short on oxygen.  Breathing in a mix of plastics and solvents really isn't great for your lungs...

And since we keep bees, we just want to warn people that bees dislike hairspray and often get aggressive towards persons who smell of it.  They may attack you, and go for your face or scalp.  If you get stung on the top of your scalp, allergic or not, the next day you're going to look like you've been hit in the face with a cricket bat (...and I know this how?  :winking_tongue).  Be very careful especially if you're within 10 metres of a hive - bees get very protective in that zone, and will react strongly to hairspray and other strong-smelling toiletries.
SueC is time travelling

SueC

@Ulrich, why is it that 100 people are looking at this topic and nobody wants to talk to us?

And how cool about the SCUBA diving!  :)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Are there? Has it had 100 views already?
Sounds dubious to me... but hang on a minute, at the bottom of the forum I find:

QuoteOnline: 1,352 Guests, 3 Users (0 Buddies)  - Most Online Today: 1,363

Well I guess that explains the numbers. 3 users out of over 1,000 who are online. That's the curse of the internet: lots of readers, not many "active" users.

Good news: I found the mag (had it around since I quoted from it last year already)!

Here's a quote from the article (Q magazine September 1995) about his hair:

It's not dirty, but it has the consistency of swarf. That combing-it-out option isn't a goer.
"It's turned into natural dreads now," he shrugs. "Even when I swim, or go scuba diving, as I did when we played Greece recently, I can't comb it back. There's nothing anybody can do."

SueC

Urgh.  I learnt a new word:  Swarf.  :1f636:

Our Irish Long-Hair Donkey gets matted hair like that, and then there's only one thing for it:  Sheep shears.  About every two years... and she's due again.  If anyone would like some lumpy donkey hair for craft or other purposes, let me know...

I always felt she should audition for The Cure.  She's got the hair.  Her signature sound is very like a rusty water pump, which could make an interesting organic addition to the soundscape.  :angel

But she tells me she already has a group, thank you very much.

G'night.  If I don't go now, I'll roll out the Van de Graaff generator again.  Oh no.  Too late.  :angel

...so much easier!   :winking_tongue
SueC is time travelling

SueC

This thread just keeps on giving!  :angel

Quote from: rjl on August 15, 2007, 04:42:27Well, it was either that, or some radio contest in the Boston area, circa 2000, if memory serves. I guess they wanted people to bring in their Cure collections. The fanatic with the largest collection won a lock of Robert's hair, among other things.

So that would be another way to get some Robert hair. But I know what you mean...

Looking back, I should have dropped a few grand, built up a really nice collection, and cleaned house in the contest. After which, hold onto the hair until we stop being such sissies about cloning humans, and voila! clone my own Robert.

Nice puns and humour!  :)

And baaaaaad science.  :P

1. To clone a person, you need a viable nucleus and a viable enucleated donor egg.  Hair is an acellular extruded strand of keratin - the only remote way you could clone someone from hair is if you ripped it out of their scalp and got hold of a bit of hair follicle with live cells that way.  (And just as added bonus science, getting DNA is not the same as getting a viable nucleus.)

2. When you clone any animal, you don't get the same animal, you get a near-identical twin:  Less identical than a natural identical twin, unless you can get the donor egg from the mother of the individual you are trying to clone.  If you can't do that (and in this case you really can't), the mitochondria in the cells will be from the female donor.  Mitochondria, in case you're wondering, are organelles responsible for aerobic respiration, which were most probably ancestrally derived from bacteria that formed an intracellular symbiosis with eukaryotic (nucleated, more complex than bacteria) cells, a loooooong time ago.  Mitochondria retain much of their own DNA.

3. A person isn't just their nuclear DNA, mitochondria etc, a person is also the sum of all their experiences, and how they processed those experiences.  Even identical twins raised in the same environment tend to have significant differences in personality, tastes etc (and minor physical differences, because the environment affects the way the body develops etc).  A near-identical twin raised in a completely different environment, 60 years later, will be a totally different person.  You can try to feed your RS clone Camus in his teenage years, but he may well rebel against the imposition (because a person needs to be who they are, not who others want them to be).

It's my opinion that the beauty of the world is in diversity, not sameness - and in the uniqueness and non-reproducibility of a life, or a person.

Big thumbs-up for the correct spelling of Voila!  :cool :smth023   In recent years in Australia, the spelling is increasingly eroding to Viola!  - not just online, but in allegedly edited, hard-copy magazines...  :1f635:   And even the ABC these days no longer seems to have anyone who knows that the singular of bacteria is bacterium.  Saying "a bacteria" is like saying "a kittens"... and don't get me started on phenomenon/phenomena - there's even an incorrectly constructed song about that...  :1f62d:

Or breath versus breathe...

Quote from: undefinedI mean, Robert doesn't have any children, so this Smith-child would be pretty rare, and could probably fetch me some nice, uncirculated masters! The ultimate Cure collectible!

Yeah, nobody would think a decades-younger near-identical twin would be anything other than a dead ringer for its nuclear-DNA parent! :winking_tongue

Other than that, nice plan!  :yum:

My husband suggests that if you wanted to make a true clone, you would need to invent a 3D quantum photocopier.

But even then, you'd have to deal with the same philosophical question posed by the old "Beam me up, Scotty" scenario:  Once beamed up, are you really the same person anymore?

My husband also suggests that if your experiment was successful and you ended up with two identical Robert Smiths, there's this problem:  They'd both have pretty strong ideas on what the next album should sound like, and as their lived experiences started to diverge, so would those ideas - this scenario could really, really delay that next album (and/or result in mutual destruction of the two Robert Smiths  :winking_tongue).

Of course, we get it that you don't want a completely duplicated Robert Smith - you want a phenotypically highly similar serf who can go nick uncirculated masters!  (Who, sadly, wouldn't know the GPS location of said uncirculated masters - for that you need the true duplicate - and he wouldn't give them to you, in all probability, bwahahahaha.)  We concocted this because we loooove to stir!  Even over a decade later!  ;)

Antipodean greetings

Sue & Brett
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on March 06, 2021, 02:19:03This thread just keeps on giving!  :angel

A gasp? Or hyperventilation? Or tousle one's hair in desperation (so one looks like RS)?  :lol: