The Cure music in movies

Started by dsanchez, September 23, 2007, 03:09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on March 13, 2017, 09:07:27
Me too. I saw it last year on TV, probably ARTE.

Really? I went to watch it in a cinema because I thought it might be a while until it's on television. Wasn't the cinema release last year?  :?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Yes indeed. I had supposed that this film was actually produced for European TV.
The movie is quite good, but I've missed the credits (with The Cure). I don't know
why ARTE did that.  :?
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on March 14, 2017, 08:43:06I don't know why ARTE did that.  :?

They always do on telly - which is most annoying when you watch e.g. "Judge Dredd", because the Cure's "Dredd Song" is playing over the end titles as well...  :roll:

fmjews

Hi. I've created a youtube channel with almost all the movie scenes with a Cure Song. Almost 100 clips for your ears and your eyes. There are 2 movies forbidden to upload for copyright reasons: Garage Days  directed by Alex Proyas (The Crow) with Boys don't Cry and 10.15 Saturday Night and History Boys with A Forest.
In the next weeks i'll upload the tvseries scenes so stay tuned!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7o1tbzHV830ew356WK_jBw

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: fmjews on February 09, 2018, 17:13:37
Hi. I've created a youtube channel with almost all the movie scenes with a Cure Song. Almost 100 clips for your ears and your eyes. There are 2 movies forbidden to upload for copyright reasons: Garage Days  directed by Alex Proyas (The Crow) with Boys don't Cry and 10.15 Saturday Night and History Boys with A Forest.
In the next weeks i'll upload the tvseries scenes so stay tuned!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7o1tbzHV830ew356WK_jBw

Ooooooooooooooooooo thanks sm mate!! :) :)

Ulrich

Quote from: BiscuityBoyle on March 15, 2016, 07:38:17
Pictures of You was very prominent in Mr Robot

Yeah, I just (re-)discovered this one! Nice surprise.
Plus the main person (who just lost a girl, she died because of his "actions") puts the files about her on a disc and writes "The Cure Disintegration" on it (he always tries to disguise his data discs as music discs)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udrgDhUUJco

Ulrich

I used the "search" function, but it seems this has not been mentioned yet. (?)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3544112/

Yesterday I watched the movie "Sing Street" on arte (french-german tv) and it's about some young folks in Dublin, Ireland (it's set in the 1980s), who form a band, at first they wanna be like Duran Duran etc. Then the singer's brother plays him The Cure ("Head On The Door" vinyl, "Inbetween days" is playing) with the hint "happy-sad". Thus the band wants to be like The Cure - the following scene is hilarious (talk about Cure-lookalikes):

XD

SueC

Humorous comment on giving it all for art there.  :beaming-face  And as for copying a band - I suppose that's how tribute bands get made. Even in our regional area just across from Antarctica, you can go see tribute bands to ABBA and The Bee Gees, should that be your wish.  :angel

It is not my wish - and as for my husband, he says that is like masochism on steroids...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 08, 2021, 10:09:56And as for copying a band - I suppose that's how tribute bands get made.[/size]

Well in the movie they were trying to be "futuristic"... (they were just starting out).

I think (almost) every band can't help but "copying" their favourites at first, before "carving out" their own style.
(The Beatles covered their fave rock'n'roll songs at first, The Rolling Stones covered their blues heroes. To give 2 famous examples.)

SueC

I geddit that people are influenced, @Ulrich, but there's influence and there's aping. This example crossed into aping for me, especially visually. You may think differently about this than me and no doubt some diehard Cure fans would disagree and cite things like "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" - but I always thought it was sad when a person tries to look so obviously like a particular famous person. I geddit that teenagers especially experiment with different styles to hopefully eventually arrive at their own, but there's ways you can do that without looking like a clone, or like you're on some kind of "soccer team" - and many teenagers manage to do exactly that, instead of assuming an obviously borrowed identity/appearance...

And for instance, Robert Smith was influenced by David Bowie, but didn't look like his clone, not early on either. Mike Scott was influenced by Bob Dylan, but didn't look obviously like him at any point. It's important to be your own person...

(If you really want to be freaked out, imagine for a moment how it would feel for you to suddenly see photos of people who styled themselves to look like you all over the media, and to have clones of you knocking on your door...  :1f632: ...and "Ulrich" becomes a "look" a certain subset of people start aspiring to...magazines calling you to ask where exactly you've bought your glasses and your shoes and what exact shade is your hair colour and who cuts it etc etc...and mothers buying their children "Ulrich" dolls...)

PS: Brett says, "I don't understand why I don't get that treatment. They're all probably just too intimidated, which is a good thing, because I wouldn't want any of that nonsense."
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 08, 2021, 13:34:30...but there's influence and there's aping.

Like I said, that's how most bands/musicians start out, before they find something "of their own".

Quote from: SueC on August 08, 2021, 13:34:30This example crossed into aping for me, especially visually. You may think differently about this than me

Keep in mind: this is a movie released in 2016 about a fictitious "band" from the 1980s (who were just starting out, members still going to school)!! That's why this scene was so much fun. (The whole thing was rather "tongue-in-cheek" and a bit "80s-nostalgic" and funny.)

SueC

I can see that as a humorous film this might have been fun, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :cool

And we'll simply have to agree to disagree over some of this one, @Ulrich:)

People learning violin don't generally dress up as Bach when playing those practice pieces either (not even schoolkids). There's a difference between playing other people's tunes to practice, and aping other people. It's maintaining a distinction between music and actual people, between your own identity and other people's identities.

Brett says, "It's a good thing you don't dress up like him when you play something he wrote!" :lol:

I saw a lot of school bands working in high school but can't remember a single one where the band members playing were mimicking the appearance of another band - much as they might have been influenced by other musicians. So thankfully, I don't think it's the norm for young musicians to act like that fictitious band - although you do see that stuff amongst fans (especially fans with identity issues). And it does make me personally uncomfortable to see that kind of thing when people don't just do it as a Halloween gag etc. Personally I don't like tribute bands either, no matter how "good" they are - I think it's so sad when people spend their lives imitating other people instead of doing their own thing - as if they have no personal worth themselves, outside of how well they can imitate someone other people think has worth.

Of course, this is a problem on a far wider scale - with people following social expectations and having their strings pulled by advertisements and consumer culture, and unconsciously following the roles allocated by their families, instead of thinking it through and differentiating themselves from this - and in a way that's considered, rather than reactionary. That's one of the reasons why we're all going to hell in a handbasket, of course...

Now I'm personally going to stop (hooray! :winking_tongue), as I'm getting even more off-topic!  And if I see the movie on our SBS, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for posting about it! :)

(And if you enjoyed this 80s comedy, you might also enjoy this - it may help to be a girl, but even Brett liked it! :cool)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 09, 2021, 02:02:48And we'll simply have to agree to disagree over some of this one, @Ulrich:)

I don't think there's need for any disagreement, as it's just a movie about a band which never really existed. (I don't even know whether the actors played the music themselves.)
I would agree if this scene was from a documentary (or movie) about an existing band!

Quote from: SueC on August 09, 2021, 02:02:48I saw a lot of school bands working in high school

I think I saw/heard only a few, but none of them sounded like the one in the film, who, at that point in the movie, hadn't even had a real gig!
(In the glamourous movie world, it often sounds better as it would in real life...)

It's only a movie, with a little bit of a "tribute" to the Cure and other bands from this time.

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on August 07, 2021, 13:15:57Yesterday I watched the movie "Sing Street" on arte (french-german tv) and it's about some young folks in Dublin, Ireland (it's set in the 1980s), who form a band, at first they wanna be like Duran Duran etc. Then the singer's brother plays him The Cure ("Head On The Door" vinyl, "Inbetween days" is playing) with the hint "happy-sad". Thus the band wants to be like The Cure - the following scene is hilarious (talk about Cure-lookalikes):

Lovely! Adding to my to-watch list. Note aside, I am working with Irish people for about two+ years now and love how they speak English, probably my favorite accent to hear!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo