"One Person’s Trash Is Another Person’s Lost Masterpiece "

Started by LuvURobert, October 31, 2007, 17:29:06

Previous topic - Next topic

LuvURobert

I only just heard of this story yesterday and thought it was amazing!! 

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/arts/design/23pain.html?pagewanted=1

What would you have done in this situation??  Would you have picked it up and brought it home?  :roll:
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

Steve

Having seen the picture don't think I would have picked it up.
Good story though.

@Luvurobert. Nice avatar
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

AlluivialL

Wow...I would have definitely picked it up, I'm an art junkie. The painting is magnificent.

Totally cool story.
But I think I get a bit confused, am I seducing or being seduced?

LuvURobert

"And I shiver and shake

LuvURobert

Yeah, I thought it was a great story, too.  What are the odds of that happening??  I actually liked the painting myself, but it's hard to say if I would've had the balls to pick it out of the trash and carry it home ~ especially in a big city like New York. 

Glad she did though and now it will find a new home in November.  Wonder what they will actually get for it at auction??  :roll:
"And I shiver and shake

scatcat

God yes! I would have brought it home... if I like a painting and it was in the rubbish, i would!!  the fact that she didn't know that it was stolen, makes it okay doesn't it?. I'm glad it was found. What an exciting thing to happen though!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Cure Freak

A great story. I would of brought it home, also. You read all about others who found masterpieces in the garbage. Like those Jackson Pollocks for example.

ROGUE

Its great isnt it, I love this story.

I would get it out for sure, i am not embarrassed by rumaging, if i see something worthy,
truth be known anyone looking is thinking "ohh i wish i did that".

I was with a friend recently and it was heavy rubbish, we have here where people put things out the front,
certain time of the year, everyone does it !! funny most people come out at night, not to be seen.
But you get some cool retro stuff if you are qwick- so i go during the day.  But my friend was so embarrassed, so me and
her kids went mad, good fun, She just turned the other cheek like 'I dont know these people'  :lol:

i try to resist the urge -its bigger than me and i just cant resist it !!

i like to live minimal, but this stupid urge, i tell myself "dont look' :twisted: ~ doesnt work...  always find what you need to, love it  :-D

LuvURobert

Quote from: ROGUE on November 01, 2007, 12:14:48

But my friend was so embarrassed, so me and her kids went mad, good fun, She just turned the other cheek like 'I dont know these people'  :lol:

:smth042 LOL!  That's so funny, Rogue.  Wait... getting a visual!  :smth040 Hee, hee!
"And I shiver and shake

japanesebaby

Quote from: AlluivialL on October 31, 2007, 21:41:30
Wow...I would have definitely picked it up, I'm an art junkie. The painting is magnificent.

me too. i think it would have been easy to see it's not just something some hillbilly drew with his left foot but something real. must have been an amazing discovery.

and strange as i just read something a bit similar from a newspaper the other day last week. i can't find a web link to it now though, sorry... anyway, it was about this german girl, a student who had bought a cheap second-hand sofa from some flea market and when she got it back home and was cleaning it, she found there was a painting hidden somewhere inside it. and it turned out that it was a work from some 17th century artists' studio - not rembrant's studio but something like that (you know it used to be typical at that time that famous artists had a studio where a lot of "lesser" painters worked for them and the master of the studio supervised their work and they got signed after him etc. ect.). anyway the painting was worth tens of thousands of euros.
well, what a nice alternative for taking a loan to pay for your studies! ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

AlluivialL

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2007, 08:16:20

me too. i think it would have been easy to see it's not just something some hillbilly drew with his left foot but something real. must have been an amazing discovery.

and strange as i just read something a bit similar from a newspaper the other day last week. i can't find a web link to it now though, sorry... anyway, it was about this german girl, a student who had bought a cheap second-hand sofa from some flea market and when she got it back home and was cleaning it, she found there was a painting hidden somewhere inside it. and it turned out that it was a work from some 17th century artists' studio - not rembrant's studio but something like that (you know it used to be typical at that time that famous artists had a studio where a lot of "lesser" painters worked for them and the master of the studio supervised their work and they got signed after him etc. ect.). anyway the painting was worth tens of thousands of euros.

Yeah, seriously..it's so pretty.
But I think I get a bit confused, am I seducing or being seduced?

LuvURobert

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2007, 08:16:20

Thanks, M.  I just love hearing stories like that with happy endings! I'm glad these people had enough sense to know they possibly had something very special in their possession, too.  These magnificent works of art could've ended up being completely destroyed, never to be seen again.  That would've been very sad! 

I wonder if the German girl kept the second hand couch or traded it in for a new one?  Hopefully she was smart and used the money for her studies.  ;) 
"And I shiver and shake

ROGUE

If you have a good eye- :shock:  alot of antique shops, retro shops, etc, go for a fossek and sell what they find- for nothing but profit and a little time,

i just dont have that sort of space but know people who do., because i live further from the city- alot of things and even op-shop stuff is treasure,

I have a friend with a collectable shop with vintage clothing and bits and pieces, she's always doing day trips to get the goodies.- and making lots of money  :smth023
(not thousands, but a good profit :) i suppose if you add it all up it would be..)