An open letter to Admin and Mods....

Started by melly, December 01, 2007, 04:03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Hey there; I know that we are all encouraged to not use the "something else" thread too much, to try and stay on track and keep it more Cure related. I understand this, and I understand that maybe, some of you could become a little exasperated when you see the members using this particular heading on a regular basis. Personally, I really don't have much to contribute to other threads; I cannot offer downloads, links, tips for taping etc. etc. I read just about everything in all headings though, and I am constantly amazed and impressed by others knowledge, and the willingness to help and share. I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff, but, still read it, in the hope that one day, it will "click" in my brain and I'll have a clue what people are talking about!! I haven't been a member long, and was very reluctant at first to even post a comment,as I somehow felt like an "interloper"; slowly but surely, I gained confidence ( something I do not generally lack in!!) and started to post in the forum. All I can do in other threads is maybe pass a remark, or make a suggestion sometimes. I don't want to look like I'm posting just to get my "stars" up or to become a "cool fan" or whatever. I love this forum; it is safe, extremely well run, watched over by intelligent, kind mods and admin staff, and is a huge credit to you all. It is commendable that you include the "something else" thread, but I was wondering if you really knew just how important it truly is? Just take a look. People share their fears, their dreams and their tastes in music, books, films. We make each other laugh, ( oh! how we laugh!) sometimes a silent tear; there is acceptance of others opinions ( as in the whole forum may I add); some of us can express what we want to say without much trouble, some of us take a little longer; we support each other, encourage and applaud. We can find solutions, ask for help, discuss issues.  When the "karma" was introduced, I was dubious as to whether people would use it correctly; seems it has settled down now, and whilst it may not be used exactly as you had planned, it has been accepted. All I ask of people, is before you "smite" someone, stop and think for a minute...is it because you don't agree with that person...is it because you thought their answer flippant...or do you think that person is somehow "ignoring" you etc. etc. If so..Stop! Do not smite out of a personal wish to "teach you a lesson"... We all like to be validated, especially amongst our peers, and that quick, angry "click" could really hurt someone. Just think how you may be affected, how you would feel, before you "smite" another.
Anyway, I just thought...I wanted to write this to you,to thank you for allowing people to reach out, to connect. Whilst you may sometimes shake your head at the volume of "traffic" in "something else", rest assured, it is as important to some people as every other thread in this fabulous forum.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this letter,
Yours very sincerely, melly... :smth006
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Steve

@melly

Great post.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
To the administrators & moderators.
Great job & many thanks from an aging goff over here in Hungary.
:smth023
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

scatcat

Quote from: Steve on December 01, 2007, 10:46:30
@melly

Great post.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
To the administrators & moderators.
Great job & many thanks from an aging goff over here in Hungary.
:smth023

I feel the same too, melly. Thanks guys!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

I'm so glad you wrote that post, Melly. I've been a member about as long as you have, I think, and I was also worrying about the fact that posting a lot in the "something else" area of the forum made me somewhat of a "bogus" member -- what's this chick doing joining a Cure forum if she spends most of her time posting about other subjects??
But I too, like you, feel I don't have that much to contribute to technical discussions, and there are tons of people more qualified than me to discuss The Cure's music in depth, because I'm no expert, all I know is that I've been enjoying their music immensely for 20 years and I listen to it constantly without ever tiring of it. Sometimes even discussing the feelings their music evokes is difficult for me, because I speak English pretty well but I have some trouble when it comes to "abstract" topics.
But I've always thought that people who love the same music often have similar sensibilities about a wide range of things, and it's only natural that we should naturally fall into wanting to comunicate about everything and anything. I guess the mods and administrators understand that, or they probably would have questioned my joining the forum by now!
So thanks for your post, and thanks to mods and administrators for understanding!!!
And for the great job they do.
Love to all from Robiola. (Sorry so long-winded)

Hero

LuvURobert

"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

Carnage Visor

Beautifully worded! I agree with everything you said!  :-D

I agree, I feel bad because I really do want to help and contribute, but in my young age, I find it hard to find anything new that most of you didn't already know about.

I really appreciate everyone's time and effort, creating fascinating and informative threads that have really helped me as well as others of the community...without you guys, where would we be?

I would love to take part in some of the file sharing, but as I stated previously, I do not own any rare cassettes or LP recordings, nor do I know where to find them!

Not only that, but the posts in the Cure section have really opened me up to new things relating to the band, and helped me meet people who share the same favorite songs, obsession with Robert's hair, and love for anything post-punk and New Wave...I'm really grateful to have found this site.

So thank you everyone, for hanging in there, waiting for the new album, keeping us updated with all the Cure news, and just plain chatting about life in general. The Cure board might not be used as frequently as it once was, but our undying love for the band is not fading because of it.

Once the new album is out, the concert tour begun, I'm sure things will come back to life. Until then, thanks for everything.

- Carnage Visor
:)

melly

Thanks for the "thumbs up" everyone... I knew I wasn't the only person who felt like I did.. see?? we DO have much in common!!  :smth052
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

psichonaut

Thanks my Lord....i'm unbeliever

dsanchez

Quote from: melly on December 01, 2007, 04:03:31
Anyway, I just thought...I wanted to write this to you,to thank you for allowing people to reach out, to connect. Whilst you may sometimes shake your head at the volume of "traffic" in "something else", rest assured, it is as important to some people as every other thread in this fabulous forum.

Melly, thanks for writing this. However I say that we are much grateful and would want (in name of all the mods and admins) to thank everyone, the people who make this forum possible, and who make from this a helpful and useful community for all curefans around the world. And of course I personally understand what do you mean about the "Something else" section and we will let it like it is!

If Curefans.com is a big community (and growing) is because of you guys, so thanks again  :rocker
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

ROGUE

Nice writting Melly,  :D

I never knew, to start with, to avoid the 'something else' thred.  I had heard people referring to 'others writting too much in that section', Iam an 'other' aswell.
but seriously i never read any real details on this, until now.

Thank you.    Us 'others' are the backbone and lifes blood, as far as i can read.  Not talking about me, but all the other personalities and vibrancy  :smth050

can not imagine this place without all the 'others'  :rocker

melly

Every single person who contributes to the forum is important...whether they can offer links, downloads, or give us much anticipated news on Cure shows... A quick "hello" or some much needed empathy, a "good on you" or whatever anyone wants to post, is as important as everything else.  The diversity of personalities throughout the forum is just wonderful, there are some sensitive souls out there, some are big and confident, others shy and always wondering if their post is "good enough" some question their actual worth ( which saddens me) some find it hard to express themselves,  others are straight to the point.. We all leave our footprints on this planet, and every single person on this forum is important. Every one.
Thats how I look at it anyway.... :smth045

melly

Quote from: dsanchez on December 03, 2007, 17:31:55
Quote from: melly on December 01, 2007, 04:03:31

Melly, thanks for writing this. However I say that we are much grateful and would want (in name of all the mods and admins) to thank everyone, the people who make this forum possible, and who make from this a helpful and useful community for all curefans around the world. And of course I personally understand what do you mean about the "Something else" section and we will let it like it is!

If Curefans.com is a big community (and growing) is because of you guys, so thanks again  :rocker

oh.wow...I just read this reply..thankyou for your kind words... see...we ARE all important to this forum! :smth023