setlist woes

Started by rodney, March 05, 2008, 15:10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney

As of now, including the Mexico shows, 69 songs have been played on the 4tour.  Plus, you figure that at least two more songs (Same Deep Waters and Last Day of Summer) have been soundchecked, but not played in shows.  That gives us 71 songs.  I think any of us would agree that's a fine amount of songs, so the amount of songs that the band have rehearsed and are able to play is not the problem.

I think, and I think many of you would agree, that the issue is the sameness of the order of the songs and encores, which is something we’ve not really seen since the Wish tour.  In 1992 this didn’t really matter as much.  Unless you went to multiple shows, it was much more difficult to tell that the sets were all basically the same then.  Robert seems to have forgotten how easy it is to track sets from all around the world now.  Either that or he doesn’t care.  I prefer to think it’s the former.

I’m not going to hope that they do something drastic, or even introduce new songs.  The 71 that we’ve got now seem to be plenty.  What I really would like is for some variety to be introduced in the order of the songs.  Why have the same three encores every night?  We know the band has prepared five (or six if you count the Disintegration encore).  It would be enough to rotate the existing encores, but why not go a step further?  A Wish encore consisting of Open and End would be very nice, as would a Bloodflowers encore, or a Prayers/Same Deep Waters/Disintegration encore.  Even rotating the pop songs in the encore would be a step in the right direction.  This could completely be done, using the songs that we know are rehearsed.  Seems like they prepared a good amount, and that Robert (or whomever) is just being lazy choosing what to play.

But, none of this seems to matter to those at the shows, and rightfully so.  I’m glad to read that the band is performing in fine form, with renewed enthusiasm.  These are just the grumblings of someone with an ocean between him and the tour, impatiently counting down the days until May....

Janko

WHY DONT THEY PLAY EVERY SONG THEY EVER RECORDED?!

:D

THERE'S NOT MANY NEW SONGS, SO...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

CureCrusader

Quote from: Janko on March 06, 2008, 15:25:15
WHY DONT THEY PLAY EVERY SONG THEY EVER RECORDED?!

:D

THERE'S NOT MANY NEW SONGS, SO...

I have a feeling it might just be the death of them  ( literally) if they did this!

:smth025
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

Janko

ITS ONLY ABOUT 300 OF THEM, SO...

YOU KNOW, THEY'RE DOING ONLY ONE OR TWO NEW SONGS ON THIS TOUR, THEY HAVE TO DIG DEEP IN THEIR CATALOG!!!

:smth011

:-D :-D :-D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

jbud1980

I see the argument, but still, Robert Smith and company are approaching 50 and are still able to belt out a 3-hour show. Granted, I would love to hear All I want (hasn't been played since 87) or Homesick or even Temptation Two, yet chances are, this will not happen.  Other bands, such as TOOL, love to play only two hour sets with the exact same set throughout the tour, oh, and no encores either.  I say, enjoy it while it lasts, because this is not going to last forever.  :cry: 

tigermilk

Quote from: jbud1980 on May 19, 2008, 06:58:49
I say, enjoy it while it lasts, because this is not going to last forever.  :cry: 

VERY good point!  :smth023